Please replace Speed with a motorsports channel

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Please replace Speed with a motorsports channel

yeah these are not those channels. I have no idea how they do it but there is hundreds of streams available from all over the world. Very confusing to find what you need. The easiest way will be to use one of the many services still available that will let you subscribe to Dish or Direct TV like many of us did back in the dark ages when we couldnt get HBO, Speedvision, ESPN etc and a pile of other channels. We are back to that point of time I am afraid.

I Plan to Stick Around

I see Speed is gone, I watch the Nascar race Hub, Nascar today the truck races. Fox 1 Sports has taken over Speed so please add it or reduce my bill accordingly.

I Plan to Stick Around

That will never happen or if it ever did it would be years down the road. People have wanted ESPN for years but they will never get it since it is competition for SNa nd TSN. FS1 was aimed at ESPN in the US so theres a snowballs chance in . we will ever see it.

Interesting tactic with Rogers on their Facebook page - I like many people on there ranting over this and after a few posts I can no longer post there. My wife can, but not me. Really Rogers? Censoring the PO'd masses?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

speed stoped renewing the carriage agreements with the bdus if u have a problem contact twentyith century fox sports and complain to them the OWNERS of speedvision

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

For those trying to say "It's not Rogers fault" -- Of course it's Rogers fault! They knew the US Speed Channel was disappearing a year ago when Fox made the official public announcement (March 5, 2013). I knew this, and I'm not in the TV business. Did you notice this thread has been going since early August? I would assume Rogers knows when their own contracts expire. Rogers had a year, probably longer, to do something to arrange for us to continue seeing what we're now missing, and did nothing.

And yes, the CRTC controls what channels get new licenses, or get added to the list of approved non-Canadian channels, but it is the cable/satellite/IPTV providers who 'sponsor' the applications of those non-Canadian channels seeking to be added. A year is more than enough time to make it through the process.
And you know Rogers owns a bunch of Sportsnet channels that can buy programming, right?

I'm a Senior Advisor

It really is simple....if Rogers thinks they can make money buying the rights to a motorsports channel, they will.

If not, they won't.

I've Been Here Awhile

I would recommend threatening to swith to Shaw Direct Satelitte if they don't put it back.  And if they don't, then do it!

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello BudMeister

Sadly that won't do much really. Bell is dropping it and most likely the other one will too. You can threaten but the reps can't do much really.

I do wish Speed was up.

I Plan to Stick Around

It's more than a little silly to imply a motorsports channel could not make money. Speed (then Speedvision) was a major success from the time it started. That's why Fox bought it and wanted to use it to start their attempt to become a competitor to ESPN in the US.
Motors TV similarly started as a small channel in France and quickly expanded to almost all of Europe (I think maybe all except Italy, Belarus, Czech Rep. and Slovakia).
Australia, smaller than Canada, has its own Speed Channel (not corporately connected to the US TV operation since the split last year divided News Corp and 21st Century Fox).

I Plan to Stick Around

There does seem to be a lot of confusion out there regarding Speed. While Speed is now defunct in the U.S., it is not defunct in Canada. While acquired by Fox and now known as Fox Sports 1 in the U.S.,  for viewers in Canada Speed was not converted to Fox Sports 1. This is most likely because Speed's Canadian authorization was based on it being a motorsports-based network .

There was also an interesting article in The Star yesterday. Apparently, Speed did not ask for an increase in rates; just the opposite in that Rogers asked for a decrease in rates. Speed balked and so the channel is now gone.

http://www.wheels.ca/news/rogers-kills-the-speed-channel-because-they-can/