cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please replace Speed with a motorsports channel

Motorsports_Fan
I Plan to Stick Around

For several months now I have been asking Rogers, SpeedTV, and others what we in Canada will see after August 17th on the channel that has been known as Speed or Speedvision since we started receiving it in 1997, and failed to receive an answer. TV listings for August 17 and later have now made it apparent that we will be receiving an even more watered-down version of what we have been getting in recent years.

Fox in the U.S. bought this channel several years ago, and has been intentionally working to kill it off by removing more and more of the motorsports programming from this formerly motorsports oriented channel, replacing it with car collector, game and 'reality' show programming. Now even that will be continuously repeated loops of old shows, with very little or nothing that is new. Their intention has been to start their own general sports channel to compete with ESPN in the U.S., and now to attempt to force the American cable and satellite carriers to replace Speed with the new Fox general sports channel. The U.S. carriers who have not yet signed on for that new channel will continue to receive the pointless and almost entirely non-motorsports Speed channel as a punishment for failing to agree to pay for the new Fox Sports 1 channel.

Yet this punishment channel appears to be what we will continue receiving in Canada. Surely there must be something about this that fails to conform to their contracts with Canadian carriers, if not CRTC regulations regarding permitted non-Canadian channels, and could lead to it being removed and hopefully replaced as soon as possible?

Note that the Fox-owned Speed channel in Australia has remained very much a motorsports channel.

www.foxsports.com.au/motor-sports/whats-on/

And most of Europe including Britain has a motorsports channel (not owned by Fox) called Motors TV.

www.motorstv.com

Please, as soon as possible, replace the Speed channel we presently receive with one of these or another motorsports channel if others exist.

***Edited labels***

282 REPLIES 282

Re: Please replace Speed with a motorsports channel

reidjr
I Plan to Stick Around

I would make sure who ever you go with has a long term deal with Speed now with that said Tsn has plans to air over 400 hours of racing in 2014.

Motorsports_Fan
I Plan to Stick Around

TSN has not added anything. It's the same as last year.

Unless Rogers can tell me what channel on their system will be showing Le Mans, Sebring, etc., it means we have to go somewhere else.  

reidjr
I Plan to Stick Around

As i said before make sure you find out if others have long term deal with Speed just as exzample back when Hd Net was on most cable and dish companys it was Bell or Rogers who did drop it first then most other did drop it.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

It appears that Rogers is telling us that "Speed" won't exist anymore. In the U.S. by Fox Sports. So far Rogers is the only one coming out and telling us of the demise of Speed. The other Canadian cable and satellite companies are staying mum on the subject, likely hoping to get customers who leave Rogers.

Here's a good link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_%28TV_network%29

It says: "For viewers in Canada, as well as the Caribbean and Puerto Rico, Speed was not converted to Fox Sports 1. The exact reasons for this have not been confirmed, although in the case of Canada, it is not clear whether Fox would have had the ability to make such a change given that Speed's Canadian authorization was based on it being a motorsports-based network . The version of Speed available in these areas continues to carry various NASCAR and other motorsports events, as well as related studio programming, mostly simulcast with their U.S. broadcasts on Fox Sports 1 or Fox Sports 2, but does not otherwise originate any new programming of its own. During hours when the network is not simulcasting FS1 or FS2, it carries repeats of Speed's past reality and documentary programming. The international feed only carries advertising for Speed's own programming and Big Ten Network during commercial breaks, with no outside advertising aside from promotions inserted by local providers."

It's also clear that Rogers has little sympathy for motorsports enthusiasts. So long as they satisfy the stick-and-ball crowd, they're satisfied. I doubt that the other Canadian carriers are any different, so be careful before you jump from the frying pan into the fire.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Motorsports_Fan
I Plan to Stick Around

I don't think anyone really expects that the shell of a Speed channel we now get from Fox in the US is permanent. And I doubt customer service people from the other BDUs would be able to tell you how much time remains on their contracts with Fox for Speed if you ask them. But we do know Rogers is dropping it in less than two weeks while it remains on the others. And what you certainly can ask and should be able to find out is how long you have to commit to a new TV and/or internet service when you sign up. For example VMedia advertises "no contracts" and apparently lets you cancel and get equipment costs refunded during a 15-day trial period, while I think some others make you commit to a year or something like that.

dougjp
I Plan to Stick Around

Shaw Direct has no information available to its 'Sales' people about SPEED channel changes. I'm pretty sure that's honest information. Anybody got an answer from Bell Expressview?

I'm in the same boat as others, waiting to change and willing to pay......a bit to get my "real" racing.

Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor

Before y'all start a stampede to Bell for Speed, be advised that they're dropping Speed as of May 1.

dougjp
I Plan to Stick Around

Obviously Fox is having SPEED leave Canada when contracts are up. No 3rd party ad revenue, no programming except archives and racing if its on Fox. What I can't figure is why they had that scrolling on the bottom during the Rolex 24 to complain about SPEED being removed from Rogers. 

Back to the subject of the thread, I can't believe the motorsports channels below along with the Canadian providers haven't got CRTC approval yet. Everyone would have known sometime last year that SPEED would be leaving, no?

http://www.motorstv.com/

http://www.mavtv.com/

Mikedem
I Plan to Stick Around

My guess is Bell and Shaw were still in negotiations and Rogers had already said no and that prompted the banner. 

Unbelievable that 2 of the biggest races in Canada, The Nascar Trucks at Mosport (I refuse to call it CTMS) and the Tudor SC series race at Mosport will not be seen in Canada? How does Ron Fellows sell advertising to 2 major events not even shown in this country?

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

Here is what Norris Mcdonald, Toronto Star auto racing writer, had to say about the situation. Yes, Rogers is the bad guy,

"When I learned that Rogers was dropping the Speed Channel as of March 1, I wrote a column saying that if you wanted to watch the 12 Hours of Sebring you should call Bell.

That still stands, but if you want to see the 24 Hours of Le Mans, you'd better either fly to France or else cross the border into the United States and rent a motel room that has Fox Sports 1 on the TV because Bell is dropping Speed as of the beginning of May.

Speed has not existed in the U.S. since last summer when Fox Sports 1 started and took over all its live racing programming. Fox Sports is blocked from broadcasting on cable and/or satellite systems in Canada because of our protectionist laws that only allow us to watch all-sports channels like TSN and the various Sportsnet channels. Speed continued in Canada, I imagine, because of contracts that were in place prior to the Fox takeover. The contracts are now up, apparently, and I hear - unofficially - that Fox really jacked up the price to keep Speed going in Canada and Rogers and now Bell said sayonara.

This means, of course, that although we will still get to see all the Formula One races, the Sprint Cup and Nationwide races and all the - according to Rogers - IZOD races (you really have to wonder how some people get jobs, don't you?) we will not be able to see any sports car racing, the classic long-distance races like Le Mans or any Camping World Series truck races (except for the one on Labour Day at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park).

If you don't care about motorsport, your reaction could very well be "so what?" But if you are a fanatic like I am, and - presumably - many of the people reading this column, this is officially a Sad State of Affairs.

I continue to see Rogers as the villain of the piece.

When Speed first started, it was on Rogers Channel 48 and part of basic cable (or whatever they call the first 60-or-so channels). When the Turner Classic Movies channel came along in 2006, Rogers put it on Channel 48 and bumped Speed up into the stratosphere where you've had to pay a premium ever since to keep receiving it.

Over time, I imagine Rogers made a lot of money off people like you and me because we paid extra to get that channel (I could care less about some of those other sports specialty channels I'm forced to take). So if Rogers had any kind of a corporate conscience, knowing full well that sports-car racing, truck racing, Moto GP racing et al will no longer be available because of the demise of Speed, they would ensure that Sportsnet found room on one or some of their many channels to show those races.

Yes, I know those are separate divisions within one huge company but they could do it if they wanted to."

Link to the blog: http://thestar.blogs.com/autoracing/2014/02/fogarty-gurney-at-large-villeneuve-at-indy-and-speed-cha...

Mikedem
I Plan to Stick Around

I think i am most furious about losing the sports car racing. I have been to 4 of the last 5 12hrs of Sebring and cant make it this year. Top that of with a unified series this year and there is more interest in sports car this year that in along time. I also love most of the various touring car series that Speed would show throughout the year. Top that off with the new Nascar qualifying that is similar to F1 and that will be a great hour of viewing that will now be lost also.

I used to have Directv via a service that would let me pay for it via a US address and I am really thinking about going back to that route. The cable portion is nearly $100 of my bill and I couldnt care less about 90% of the channels I have to have for certain programs. 

Getting Speedvision back in 1997 was one of the reasons I dropped DTV and added to my cable package.

I notice the ads for Speed 2 are showing now - even access to that would be better that nothing which we appear to be heading for.

Motorsports_Fan
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers stopped it right at midnight, as Norris McDonald described soon after.

www.wheels.ca/news/rogers-kills-the-speed-channel-because-they-can/

The on-screen digital guide was still listing all the upcoming programming for the next few days last night, but I see this morning it has now been changed to "Off the air".

I wonder what Fox's statement to Norris on the subject will be, particularly since Bell has also announced they are dropping Speed. The crawl thing telling people to call Rogers to urge them to keep Speed that we saw during the 24 Hours of Daytona seems to have strangely been absent during all of the recent Nascar Daytona coverage, as though Fox may have given up?

I think it's probably the Nascar viewers who will now miss it most, since so much of Fox/Speed's racing programming was Nascar oriented -- qualifying, Truck Series, etc.

I don't feel so bad now seeing Fox Sports 1 will only be showing the first three hours of the 12 Hours of Sebring. Presumably that's all Bell, Shaw, etc., subscribers will see on Speed, and viewers in Canada and the US will have to use the internet to watch it anyway.    

www.sportscar365.com/imsa/ctscc/sebring-tv-schedule-announced/

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
The guide info is provided by a 3rd party, so they likely had all the channel info set to upload to Rogers (even though the channel will not be there)
Bell is dropping it too? Hopefully too many haven't switched for no reason 😞

The 'contact Rogers' adds seem very similar to the amc stuff that happened. 😞

I believe thats this is just another way to get to race fanatics (of which I am a member of) to pony up money so that we will still be able to watch NASCAR practice practice, qualifying and Truck racing.

Hey ROGERS with all your millions of dollars profit every year when is making enought mney finally enought, and why do you always make us poor customers pay the bill.

Yes, Rogers dropped Speed BECAUSE THEY CAN. Rogers and Shaw divided up the country so they wouldn't compete wit each other in the cable market. Add to that the home phone, cell phone, TV and internet bundles, it makes it very awkward and inconvenient for customers to switch tooter providers.

Mikedem
I Plan to Stick Around

its like 1998 again when we all had to figure out ways to get US programming that we couldnt get in Canada. Thats some progress Rogers/Bell etc have going here huh? I guess they figure we will just stop watching motorsports and switch to some of the other useful channels they give us....Fireplace channel, sunset channel, gameshow..etc..

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Other than them starting their own Motorsport channel themselves, a lot of the other stuff is out of their hands. (This goes for all cdn carriers)
They just can't pick up the other US channels because they want to. The crtc prevents them unless the channel is approved.

Sloofoot
I've Been Here Awhile

20% of my tv time was watching Speed channel. I give Rogers two hundred dollars a month for thier services. I have been with them since the beginning. I have to reboot my HD boxes every time I want to watch something on demand. The cable lines in my area have not been upgraded in many years. Last fall bell upgraded to fiber optics and DSL is probably better internet. The removal of Speed is the push I need to look around for other entertainment optsions. Rogers does not care about loyal customers wich can be seen from replies in these postings

Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor

Nobody employed by Rogers hangs around here very much, believe me.

I just prefer to deal in facts instead of blaming everything on Rogers knee-jerk style.

Fox killed Speed.  Fox doesn't want to maintain a Canadian-only version of a channel they killed.  So they've priced themselves out of the Canadian market.

The Canadian TV market is much more complex than " Rogers should just offer this and that"

Bottom line however, if Rogers believes there's significant money in fringe motorsports, they'll be all over it like white on rice.

reidjr
I Plan to Stick Around

In 1998 tv in the States was in great shape you can't say that now many channels have very low ratings and don't be shocked if some switch to a only system only the other big thing is Aero it very well could force many channels to go to a cable format meaning the end to free to air etc.

danno100
I Plan to Stick Around

Then rogers needs to carry fox sports ASAP or we get a free to air dish.....screwed again in canada