Please replace Speed with a motorsports channel

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mikedem
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Please replace Speed with a motorsports channel

It appears this is going nowhere with Rogers. I find it ironic that they keep telling you what racing is still available on other channels yet avoid any mention of the series we wont be able to see once Speed is gone. I find it ironic that the 2 major series that actually race in Canada wont be able to be seen by Rogers customers, the Nascar Truck race and the Tudor United SportsCar series both race at Mosport and both series are shown on FS1. I bet Ron Fellows is fuming over that considering most of the sponsorship of the course and race is from Canadian companies.

Motorsports_Fan
I Plan to Stick Around

It's too late for them to do anything useful now. Replacing it with another motorsports channel requires applying to the CRTC and getting it approved, a process that requires a minimum of several months. If Rogers had been paying attention and cared they could have started the process months or years ago and replaced Speed with a better channel by now. If they're dropping Speed as of March 1 as they have announced, the only possible positive thing to improve the situation could be Sportsnet and/or TSN picking up more racing coverage including the Fox Sports 1 and 2 events that were on Speed. But since they've said nothing about this, I doubt it's going to happen.

I'm going to wait until March 1 to see what, if anything happens, then assuming it's nothing, cancel all my Rogers services and get something from someone else, hopefully in time for the 12 Hours of Sebring. I've already been going over the options to make a decision to be ready two weeks from today.  

Mikedem
I Plan to Stick Around

Yeah I guess I am in the same boat. I have gone to 5 of the last 6 12hrs of Sebring and cant go this year. It will be a real shame if I cant see it. I've already inquired and the other providers currently have no plans to remove speed so I guess that is what I will be forced to do. Major hassle to switch all this stuff. TV will be the first but if they offer bundle discounts then I guess I will switch it all. there is a pay for streaming motorsports channel I am looking into but info is hard to find at  the moment.

Motorsports_Fan
I Plan to Stick Around

Ron Fellows may be a part owner, running the place and being a media spokesman, but I would assume it's the other owner, billionaire Carlo Fidani (of Orlando Corp), putting most of the money into Mosport. And you're right, Rogers dumping Speed cuts off a whole lot of southern Ontario TV viewers from seeing the Nascar Truck Series and United SportsCar Championship, that happen to be Mosport's two major race weekends each summer.

I wonder if Mosport would consider trying something like buying air time on the Hamilton CHCH-TV station to show some racing?

They could have bought CHCH since it was sold for only $12 in 2009, or presumably a similar pocket change price for the CKXT-TV Toronto (the former Sun TV) licence before Quebecor shut it off a couple of years ago. They are (or were for CKXT) carried on some systems across most of Canada, but get only ad revenue and no fees from cable subscribers. Owning a station may not be a practical proposition, but maybe buying the air time on CHCH could be?

reidjr
I Plan to Stick Around

I would make sure who ever you go with has a long term deal with Speed now with that said Tsn has plans to air over 400 hours of racing in 2014.

Motorsports_Fan
I Plan to Stick Around

TSN has not added anything. It's the same as last year.

Unless Rogers can tell me what channel on their system will be showing Le Mans, Sebring, etc., it means we have to go somewhere else.  

reidjr
I Plan to Stick Around

As i said before make sure you find out if others have long term deal with Speed just as exzample back when Hd Net was on most cable and dish companys it was Bell or Rogers who did drop it first then most other did drop it.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

It appears that Rogers is telling us that "Speed" won't exist anymore. In the U.S. by Fox Sports. So far Rogers is the only one coming out and telling us of the demise of Speed. The other Canadian cable and satellite companies are staying mum on the subject, likely hoping to get customers who leave Rogers.

Here's a good link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_%28TV_network%29

It says: "For viewers in Canada, as well as the Caribbean and Puerto Rico, Speed was not converted to Fox Sports 1. The exact reasons for this have not been confirmed, although in the case of Canada, it is not clear whether Fox would have had the ability to make such a change given that Speed's Canadian authorization was based on it being a motorsports-based network . The version of Speed available in these areas continues to carry various NASCAR and other motorsports events, as well as related studio programming, mostly simulcast with their U.S. broadcasts on Fox Sports 1 or Fox Sports 2, but does not otherwise originate any new programming of its own. During hours when the network is not simulcasting FS1 or FS2, it carries repeats of Speed's past reality and documentary programming. The international feed only carries advertising for Speed's own programming and Big Ten Network during commercial breaks, with no outside advertising aside from promotions inserted by local providers."

It's also clear that Rogers has little sympathy for motorsports enthusiasts. So long as they satisfy the stick-and-ball crowd, they're satisfied. I doubt that the other Canadian carriers are any different, so be careful before you jump from the frying pan into the fire.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Motorsports_Fan
I Plan to Stick Around

I don't think anyone really expects that the shell of a Speed channel we now get from Fox in the US is permanent. And I doubt customer service people from the other BDUs would be able to tell you how much time remains on their contracts with Fox for Speed if you ask them. But we do know Rogers is dropping it in less than two weeks while it remains on the others. And what you certainly can ask and should be able to find out is how long you have to commit to a new TV and/or internet service when you sign up. For example VMedia advertises "no contracts" and apparently lets you cancel and get equipment costs refunded during a 15-day trial period, while I think some others make you commit to a year or something like that.

dougjp
I Plan to Stick Around

Shaw Direct has no information available to its 'Sales' people about SPEED channel changes. I'm pretty sure that's honest information. Anybody got an answer from Bell Expressview?

I'm in the same boat as others, waiting to change and willing to pay......a bit to get my "real" racing.