Please replace Speed with a motorsports channel

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Motorsports_Fan
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Please replace Speed with a motorsports channel

Rogers, and everyone else, knew the US Speed channel would soon be disappearing when Fox made the announcement on March 5, 2013. And that came after many months of stories that it was going to happen.

March 5, 2013:
www.insidesocal.com/tomhoffarth/2013/03/05/the-official-fox-sports-1-announcement-you-can-exhale-now...

March 28, 2012:
www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-03-28/news-corp-said-to-plan-u-s-sports-network-to-rival-espn.html

Why was nothing done in all that time to plan to carry a replacement motorsports channel? The awkward and strange wording now on the Rogers website telling us that "Formula , Nascar and IZOD" (presumably they mean Formula One, Nascar, and IndyCar) are carried on other channels shows Rogers couldn't be bothered to pay attention and understand the situation, then or now. And by the way, I don't remember the last time CBS had any motorsports.

What about all the other racing that Canadian viewers want to be able to see, the same way that TV viewers in much of the rest of the world can? Here's just a short list of some of what they can see on television and we can't (or soon won't in the case of the small number of things that remained on Speed) and no one at Rogers knows exists.

24 Hours of Le Mans
World Endurance Championship
United SportsCar Championship
Nascar Truck Series
Moto GP
Australian V8 Supercars
DTM
World Rally Championship
World Touring Car Championship
British Touring Car Championship
Blancpain Endurance Series
Blancpain Sprint Series
Continental Tire Series
Pirelli World Challenge Series
Indy Lights
GP2 Series
GP3 Series
European Formula 3
Superbike World Championship
Supersport World Championship
Sidecar World Championship
Isle of Man TT
Motocross World Championship

and there is a lot more I could list just from looking at the websites of Motors TV or the Australian version of Speed.
I'm waiting for Rogers to point out the channel that will be carrying those events.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

Notice the original subject of this thread. Those of us who have watched Speed since it was "Speed Vision" will remember all the great motorsports events that were covered; including air racing and boat racing. What we have left now is mostly a load of redneck reality shows. After hockey, I bet that auto racing is one of Canada's most favourite sports. Surely Rogers can't be blind to that. When (if?) Speed goes, Rogers had better replace it with another motorsports channel or a lot of folks will be very angry and start looking around for an alternate provider that has Canadians' interests in mind.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
reidjr
I Plan to Stick Around

I think its important to keep in mind that Tsn/Sportsnet do have a fair amount of racing as for the Spped Channel it would shock me if its in Canada at all with in the next 5 months.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

That's true. The two most important sports events I watch is Formula One and the Tour de France. The former was blacked out on Speed long ago and the latter isn't even motorsport. NASCAR I can take or leave, but do like to catch the road races. The other biggie I like to follow is WRC and I'm not sure I've seen any of that on Speed since last year. Maybe the method in Rogers' madness in dropping Speed is to be able to sell a number of sports packages to replace it..

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
suzy_q1408
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi all, last weekend when watching a race on the SPEED channel it had posted that Rogers will be discontinuing the SPEED Channel - the response I got from Rogers when I asked why on my twitter account was "If we're allowed to offer the channel to a more specialized audience at a reasonable rate wed (sic) be happy to make it available"

What the . is that supposed to mean - so are they under negotiations with SPEED to get the channel at a better rate than they're getting it at present? Are they willing to sell it at an upgraded fee of our services? I'm unclear and I got no further response when I asked how much it would cost.

Just wondering when it is actually going off the air, I heard March? If they can't show it any more, there will be a lot of customers switching services!!!

Thanks for any help and have a good Sunday!!!

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello suzy_q1408

There are other threads made about this.. I will post the links below on the forums. Rogers doesn't want to pay what Fox is asking for and they are taking the channel down. So thus they are asking customers to talk go Rogers. Not really because the channel will most likely be taken down from Bell as well. Rogers reps don't know everything as they are not told much. Thus why u aren't getting much from them.

Here is more http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...12054

Official word and confirmation from Rogers http://www.rogers.com/web/content/speed-channel?asc_refid=serviceupdate

suzy_q1408
I've Been Here Awhile

thank you, though unfortunately reading through this it doesn't really give any good reason - do they not realize how big nascar here is canada too? very sad indeed

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello suzy_q1408

Oh i do know because i attend some of the Nascar races my self. This is something Rogers hasn't really realized tho.
suzy_q1408
I've Been Here Awhile

yet other companies are getting to keep airing the races? My complaint's with rogers as they wont 😞
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Suzy_q1408

No one knows if other providers will keep it. Maybe those providers will do the same later on. Who knows. Hopefully Rogers sees the demand and does something to keep it running or have a channel just for the races if they take Speed down.