Please replace Speed with a motorsports channel

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Please replace Speed with a motorsports channel

While its true during the off season Speed channel has been horrible,, worse that horrible actually.. but it always was during non racing season. Once the spring hits there will be lots of content for this channel. Just look at what Fox Sports 1/2 and the online Speed 2 have for content. More than enough to fill Speed with good programming. My though is this is exactly what Fox wants to do but at an increased cost. I hate the way Rogers uses its viewers as hostages or pawns in their fee negotiations. If this channel is available on another provider I will take my combined $400/month I pay Rogers and move. The fact I overpay for TV is one thing that I will put up with to get the programming i want, but to continue to overpay and lose service will be the straw that breaks this camels back.

I Plan to Stick Around

If you look  Fox 1 much of the content Canadian channels own rights to.

I'm Here A Lot

The scroll on the bottom of Speed Channel said that Rogers is thinking of canceling the service. As a race fan I would be missing many important races such as the Rolex race and others.

Its part of my package and if you take it off the air what will replace it? Will you add the American provider?

I'm a Senior Advisor

There is no American provider.  Fox is only keeping Speed alive in Canada due to their broadcasting license.

Fox converted Speed to Fox Sports 1 in the US.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Lets see if Rogers will notice how big speed is in our lives sign the petition for them to keep it.

SPEED tv on rogers petition

I've Been Around

PLEASE Don't Take away SPEED channel.

While watching the 24hrs @ Daytona Race last weekend, I read a message saying that Rogers was dumping SPEED.  I would be very sad to see it go and it would put me one step closer to going with HD Antenna tv and streaming content.

I primarily like to watch any type of racing and auto shows.  I'm not really into Nascar RacHub.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

When the channel first appeared on Canadian televisions in 1995, it was called Speedvision, and Speedvision was just amazing. As a fan of motorsports, I'd watch it for hours on end, 7 days a week - exposing myself to a variety of live or taped motorsport events from around the world, as well as programming documentingt the history of certain motorsports, programming that looked at cars, planes, boats, even lawnmower racing, as well as regular racing or motor-related movies on the weekends on 'The Lost Drive-In'. It was entertaining and educational, and I was thankful for the channel; it was my favourite channel.

Then,in 2001 the channel was bought by FOX and the name changed to Speed Channel. The programming changed, and although it was still quite good, there was more repeats throughout the day, more NASCAR content and less and less variety available throughout the day. Later, the channel was renamed Speed and things really went downhill, with even more NASCAR programming, the addition of pointless 'reality' contest shows that catered to low-IQ (NASCAR) crowd, considerable cutting of live event coverage and special-interest programming (Two Wheel Tuesday, for example).. and the addition of repeat after repeat, same day and throughout the week.

Over the last 10 years, I found myself tuning it to Speed perhaps 4 or 5 times a year, instead of 4 or 5 times a day. Over the last 3 years, even less. For a long time now, I've felt cheated that cable tv customers everywhere have been given the 'bait and switch' treatment, and that we've had to pay the same (or more) for a channel that has cheapened its content over the years.

I tuned in to the Canadian 'Speed' last weekend to see the beginning of the Daytona 24 Hour race. I saw the message on the bottom of the screen urging Rogers customers to write and ask for the channel to NOT be removed. After 15 minutes of watching the awfulness that was the debut of a new era of American sportscar racing, it confirmed my long-held opinion: as a motor racing fan, you could do away with Speed and it would not be a shame.

Cut it, and cut my bill accordingly.

Please and thank you.

Signed,

a motor racing fan.

I'm Here A Lot

Rogers is taking away our SPEED channel because they don't want to pay for it. I'm not sure if Fox has raised the price or not but regardless Rogers has decided that we do not need it anymore. It is part of their ever expanding growth to give us "the best entertainment experience".
I keep seeing the same response from all the robots that work at Rogers about how they feel so bad and that we can get the programming elsewhere. This as we all know is a load of crap and the form letter response that they keep giving us just shows how much they know about their customers and really about how much they care...which is not at all.
We all know what we will be missing (especially at this time of year with the new Nascar qualifying and all the other racing series about to begin) but unfortunately Rogers does not, and only cares about their bottom line. They have such a monopoly in this market that old school values like customer service do not apply. They just don't give a  . and so they take a dump on us.
I will be switching to Bell and thanks for nothing Rogers.
I Plan to Stick Around

I would find out if Bell has a long term agreement with Fox before moving over if they don't you never know they could drop it soon to.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I would agree with reidjr here.

From everything that most people have found out.. the current speculation.. is the main reason of rogers droping it.. is that since Fox has pretty much remove most of the content that was on there before..  its just not worth carrying it anymore.
Fox removed that content and took it to their other channels (which are not approved by the CRCT up here)..

If its more content driven.. that there just isnt anything there worth paying for it anymore... its quite possible that other carriers will drop it as well, as their contracts for the channel expire.