Please replace Speed with a motorsports channel

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Please replace Speed with a motorsports channel

Wow, what a politician-like announcement! How did you find it? Rogers never notified me.

But then, there wasn't much worth watching on Speed anymore, anyway. They still had Moto GP, but I didn't see any WRC. The rest of it's just a load of NASCAR and redneck reality shows. The important NASCAR stuff would be on one of the major networks and I only watched the couple of road races and some of the more significant events. Speed started going down hill after they axed Wind Tunnel.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Aha! found it. (new i saw it yesterday somewhere).

Dont know HOW someone is directed to it, etc... but..

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/speed-channel?asc_refid=serviceupdate

I Plan to Stick Around

"If the channel provider will come to an agreement that allows us to offer the channel to a more specialized audience at a reasonable rate, we'd be happy to make it available."

What are they talking about in that strangely cryptic sentence? Does Fox still think they can bully the Canadian carriers like Rogers into carrying Fox Sports 1, like they did in the US? If that's what's going on, Fox really doesn't understand the regulatory situation in Canada and is clueless if they think there is any chance it will work. And presumably the largely pointless version of Speed they've been giving us was just to comply with the last few months of the existing contract, before it finally disappears for good.

Sorry, Fox, but Speed was allowed into Canada as a niche motorsports channel that did not directly compete with any Canadian channel, and you can't just change it into something else that does directly compete against Canadian-owned channels. It's Speed or nothing. Sounds like Fox has chosen nothing, so it's good bye to Speed. And I hope it's hello to some better motorsports channel from someone else before much longer. How long does it take to get a channel newly approved for distribution in Canada?

I'm a Senior Advisor

I don't pretend to know the details behind it, but it just looks to me like Rogers and Fox can't come to an agreement over the price of Speed. If Rogers realized how many Canadian car enthusiasts actually watch Speed it could be a different story. About all we can do is keep sending the message to Rogers. Find Rogers on Facebook and Twitter and let them know how you feel about this!

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

Well I certainly agree that there is a demand for this kind of channel in Canada, and I hope Rogers understands that.

But I think it's quite apparent that Fox in the US has long ago given up and lost interest in providing a worthwhile Speed TV channel to anyone in Canada or the US, and what we've been getting for the last few months is just a temporary thing until their existing contracts for it expire.

Rogers would have to be unbelievably apathetic to want to retain it, at least in its present form, even if Fox was willing to continue it (and I doubt they are). I suppose at most they might briefly extend the present set-up until the existing Speed contracts expire with all the other Canadian BDUs, but I'd guess Fox is probably not interested if Rogers has made this announcement of dropping it as of March 1. 

Now, if Fox was to come to the realization that getting Fox Sports 1 into Canada is impossible, and giving up on Speed would be just needlessly throwing away all of the Canadian subscribers and their revenue, and return to providing a worthwhile version of Speed (hopefully resembling the one in Australia in terms of programming it would carry), then that would be satisfactory for all involved. But I really don't see that happening. If the channel was for Canada only and not the US, it still would not be allowed to sell commercials. And they have no interest in re-starting Speed in the US.

Also, last year there apparently was some kind of corporate split or re-organization involving NewsCorp, meaning that the Speed channel in Australia now has no connection the US TV operation.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Speed is scrolling across the screen that Rogers is dropping the Speed channel.

I know its a shadow of its former self, but its one of the channels i watch a lot.

If you like it, looks like we better . a bunch!!

I've Been Around

It sucks that Rogers is dropping speed. The truck series is one of the only one with Canadians in it now we won't be able to follow

I'm a Senior Advisor

Y'all know that this is more on Fox than Rogers, right?

Fox switched SPEED in the US to Fox Sports 1.  Because their Canadian license wouldn't allow them to do that in Canada, they had to maintain a Canadian version of what is, essentially, a dead channel.

I've Been Here Awhile

Sounds like we'll have to switch to Bell Satellite TV or some other source in London.  After being a long time customer it sucks.  We already left Rogers years ago for cell service, now the cable will likely be next. 

I've Been Here Awhile

Sounds like Rogers doesn't care from Facebook posts, so already looking into Bell Satellite TV or other as back-up plan.