Playing and recording videos on a VCR with the new Digital Adapter

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Playing and recording videos on a VCR with the new Digital Adapter

Hey, so i finally figured out how to connect the tv and the digital adaptor through the VCR but i can not play videos and record.  Does anyone know how to hook up an old Citizen VCR with the rogers digital adaptor connection??

***Edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Playing and recording videos on a VCR with the new Digital Adapter

Lets start from the begining.. make sure you have your stuff connected properly.. and go from there.

A) You need to set up as follows:

Wall jack------> DTA input (DTA) DTA output------->vcr input (VCR) vcr output-------> TV input.

B) You need to leave the VCR on channel 3, as well as your TV on channel 3.  You DONT want to change this.

C) With this setup, with the Digital Adapter on, you should be able to view TV right now.  Use the digital adapter remote, and change the channels to whatever you want to watch.

D) Playback from here, should work as well from the VCR.  All you have to do, is put in the tape, and play.  Again, leaving the TV on the same channel 3.

E) As for recording.. this is where you get sort of knackered a little.  This is one of the reason you are hard pressed to FIND a VCR anymore to even buy (very few companies still make them). 
Normaly, to record something with a VCR, it uses its OWN TV tuner inside the box, to tune to the channel you want to record, just like your TV did.
With DIGITAL, it can not do this.  Cable TV providers were the last few that these VCRs could work on, up until now.  All the other types of TV like satalite, etc (which has been out for 15+ years), you were not able to use a VCR to record in that way.

You can still use a VCR to record... BUT.. there are limitations.  You have to MANUALY set the channel before hand, on the digital adapter.  Then, you set your VCR to record, at whatever time, but you leave it to record on channel 3.. you DO NOT tell it the channel here.. you are litteraly just recording what info it being fed into it in channel 3.
This is OK, if you are only recording one thing while not there, etc... but if there is 2 recordings at different time, on different channels, you need to MANUALY change the channel on the digital adapter inbetween.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Do you mean?

Wall jack------> digital adaptor ------> vcr input (VCR) vcr output-------> TV input.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Yes, that is correct.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

DERP.. thank you.. brain fart Smiley Happy 

You are correct.  I have edited the above.  Thanks guys for catching my mistake Smiley Happy

I Plan to Stick Around

ok so i have the tv, the digital adaptor and the vcr on channel 3.  I get a picture that looks like  nothing and a sign that says no signal, select another input usinf the INPUT button, or connect an RF cable. 

Do i try the tv remote input? the TV/VCR button on the VCR remote?  I don't know what a RF cable is.  I can press play on the vcr and i hear the tape being used but i cannot see a picture or hear sound.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Try switching the tv input. Basically, the tv is telling you that its not getting a signal on the input jack its looking for.

Do what the tv is asking. Hit the INPUT button to change the input and see if you get a picture.
I Plan to Stick Around

Nothing shows up but another message saying: No signal. Check the external input or select another input using the INPUT button.  I don't have any HDMI inputs and i dont have a computer input so the only inputs i can use are tv or video.  video works for my DVD player but nothing allows me to view the vcr.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

the INPUT you want, should be the TV one. (assuming you are just using the coax tv cable OUT from the VCR and IN to the TV that way.

and use the TV remote, to change it to channel 3.

You then should be getting picture through then.

The box may not be fully authorized.. could try calling in and have them re-authorize the box.

I Plan to Stick Around

I've had it authorized 3 times. i have the connection of the wires correct.

Cable to DTA input--- DTA output to VCR input--- VCR output to tv input.

the tv is clear but i cannot watch the tape form the vcr.