cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picture-in-Picture

Dllevine
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced this and I haven't seen it posted.

I have the nextbox3.0 in my living room attached to a 60" LG 4k smart TV controlled by the new remote.  I have 2 other HDTVs in the house connected via whole-home with what I believe are Nextbox2 HD PVR.

The new remote offers on/off Picture in Picture and swap.  The old remote allowed 'move' options.  When I turn it on, the 2 boxes open up and only consume about 25% of the screen each.  Also, there is no way to have one full screen and the other in one of the 4 corners (and moveable).

To me this is a significant downgrade on PIP functionality.  I realize the small boxes allow for scrolling the guide underneath but what good is a 60" TV with two 18" boxes for PIP?

Is there a way to restore previous functionality?  Or, since all my boxes have this new navigatr, am I stuck with this garbage?  I have to admit, paying $35.99/month to watch NFL Sunday ticket is now a LOT less appetizing.

Time to consider cord cutting (thats $120/month lost to you, Rogers!)

***Edited Labels***

36 REPLIES 36

Re: Picture-in-Picture

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR:

Picture inside Picture has one full screen picture with a smaller picture covering a (smaller) portion of the full screen.  Typically the small picture can be moved to 4 different locations of the screen based on your preference (top-right, bottom-right, top-left, bottom-left).

Picture outside Picture has two equal sized (smaller) pictures, usually side-by-side.  The issue with the Navigatr firmware is that the side-by-side pictures are very small - similar in size to the small PiP.  They were bigger with RTN (the previous firmware).  Some TVs used to have adjustable size PoP, however, as the digital age with external STBs, and PVRs made TV PiP/PoP redundant, the feature disappeared from many TVs.

The PoP option is invoked by repeatedly pressing "Move" and the 5th "move" takes you to PoP.

The 8300 with SARA only has PiP.

Here's a sample link:

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/313182/Rca-D61w20.html?page=34

burgah
I've Been Here Awhile

can someone clarify prior to my attempting to do this, inc case its all for naught::?

i have a OLD remote, with my 2nd nextbox, a 2.0 model.

i also have a NEW remote, with my new 3.0 box.

i want to re-gain the PIP "MOVE" function on my 3.0 box.

so...

can i simply SWAP remotes and i'll get the PIP MOVE function on my 3.0 box?

yes? or no?

thx, ron

Yes, swap the remotes to get your PiP back. I am doing this right now and can confirm it works. 

burgah
I've Been Here Awhile

it sure does. and its not even a matter of "pairing" or impairing. it just works. lol.

Glad to hear it worked! 

SlickPV
I've Been Around

I get no response from PIP button on both older and newer remotes. One box is Explorer 4642HD, the other Nextbox 4K. Both don't work. Tech support said it's remote, but I've tried 3 different remotes, also have whole home PVR set up with PVR upstairs. Should this work??

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@SlickPV:

You cannot get PiP with a STB since it only has one tuner. You would need a PVR which has more than one tuner.  You say you have WHPVR, so you should be able to get PiP on that PVR itself (upstairs?).  I assume it's either an 8642 or a 9865 and both are capable of PiP. The older SA8300HD is also capable.

websurferdude
I Plan to Stick Around

Problems with PIP on Nextbox 3

Hi All,

For as long as i can remember, i've had an issue when i use Picture-in-Picture on the Nextbox 3.  If i am, for instance, watching a recorded program & change to PIP, i'll change the channel to the one i want to see on the other small screen.  The recorded program will continue to play when i change the screens - the secondary (to changed channel) to the primary.  When i change back to make the recorded program the primary & close down PIP, the recorded program will, more often than not, freeze up & the only way, most times, i can get the program to run again will be to open PIP again & switch back & forth between the two & close PIP.  Most of the time in the past, this has worked to unfreeze the watched recorded program but it will not start at the place left off.  It will be either several minutes behind where left off or several minutes ahead of where left off.  This only happens if i switch between the two screens.  If i only open PIP & not switch, i don't have this problem.

Has anyone else ran into this problem (as best as i can describe it)?  Clearly there is an issue - how wide spread it is is the reason for my post.  Other than this issue, the box runs fine - not perfect but much better than when Navigatr was released.

TIA

That is an odd one.  

I havent tried it myself.. but i can understand WHY it may have an issue..

Generally with the new boxes.. NB2 and greater.. they changed the way that the PVR playback happened.
On the older generation, it actually played back the recordings on a CHANNEL.  This would make it very easy to do PiP.

With the newer boxes.. the playback is an overlay.
You are actually watching a channel still inbehind it generally, and just the pvr playback is overlayed over it.

I could see it having issues with continuting this overlay in PiP (vs the old method)

witteveentommy
I've Been Here Awhile

Picture-in-Picture Not Working At All

Hello,

The PIP function on my Nextbox (CAV10242HD) does not come on at all. Everything else works fine, but if I press the PIP button, nothing happens. Tried looking around and I didn't see anybody else with this problem. Is my Nextbox faulty, or am I just missing something obvious? 

Thanks!

@witteveentommy :  This is not surprising, as the box in question only has one tuner. In order to have PiP you need to have at least two tuners, as in the PVRs.

GLABRQ97
I've Been Here Awhile

PIP (Picture-In-Picture) worked on PVR but not on HD receiver? Why? how to resolve (Whole Home)?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@GLABRQ97 : Please see post 32 of this thread to which your post was moved.

User2225676
I Plan to Stick Around

BOY DO I EVER MISS MY ...PICTURE-IN-PICTURE... MISSED A LOT OF THE FOOTBALL GAME OR MISS THE HOCKEY GAME LAST NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!

SO MUCH FOR PROGRESS!!!!!!

THANK YOU    ROGERS

User2225676
I Plan to Stick Around

PS  ROGERS NO PICTURE-IN-PICTURE NO SLOW MOTION...NEVER MIND SUPERSLOW

HOW IS THAT WORKING FOR YOUR SPORTS PACKAGES!!!!!  

I SEE THAT I AM GETTING A FREE PREVIEW OF THE NHL SPORTS PACKAGE, THANK YOU FOR THAT BUT I WILL NOT ORDER ANY SPORTS PACKAGES AS I WILL BE PAYING FOR EVERY GAME BUT CAN ONLY WATCH ONE AT GAME AT A TIME. SUPER EXPENSIVE FOR THE PLEASURE OF SEEING ONLY ONE GAME AT A TIME.

NOT A GOOD BUSINESS MODEL.

SORRY THAT I CHANGED FROM DIGITAL TO ignite.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

PiP is a real cool feature for watching live sports on 2 different channels. I used to use it to watch F1 racing back in the days of Speed Channel, toggling back and forth between TSN and Speed so I didn't miss anything. Twenty or more years ago I saw the feature on a friend's Sony TV and looked for it when buying my next TV, but by then it was already out of fashion and I bought the previous year's model to get it. Today I doubt you'll even find a TV with that feature using 2 tuners. But I did have it on my SA8300HD PVR and I think it was still on the Nextbox. As for  slow motion and frame-by-frame, I had that on my 8300, but I don't know if it was on the Nextbox.  As for PiP and those other features on Ignite, I guess you're SOL. I don't have it on IPTV from my provider either. Such is the cost of "progress". You win some, you lose some.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Topic Stats
  • 36 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 12 in conversation