Picture and sound cuts out every 10 minutes on my 8642 HD PVR while using HDMI.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I just changed from a Digital box, to a HDPVR The Cisco 8642. I have a recent flatscreen Toshiba TV and I'm connected via HDMI.

I lose the picture and sound every 10 minutes or so for a second then it comes back. As if I lost digital signal.

Since I can attach a normal coax cable to the tv and the PVR, If I switch to that I don't experience this type of issue. But obviously cannot use the HD or PVR functions. Is this a known issue?

***Edited labels***

I've Been Here Awhile

I recently traded in my old PVR for the new Explorer 8642HD PVR.  This was around the same time that the system changed such that it automatically puts you into the HD channels even when you are on one of the lower channels.

The problem is, the audio/video occasionally flickers when I am on these high def channels.  It is very brief and the audio/video is affected very quickly, however it happens enough that it is a real nuisance. 

Has anyone else had this problem?  I have a regular digital box on another TV in the house and there are no issues with it.  Could it be the PVR is defective?

Any help or suggested solutions would be helpful.

Thanks. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Audio/Video issue with New HD PVR

Is your issue basically that the HD channels are not working well (it seems that way).   If yes, either the box has a problem or the strength of your cable signal is just a little too weak (might not be noticed on SD channels).  I would call Tech Support.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Yep sounds like a signal problem. Rogers should be able to test that level and add a booster if needed.

I've Been Here Awhile

I have a problem where sometimes the picture starts flickering (goes off and back on right away)  every few seconds, making it next to impossible to watch a show.  We have an 8300HD PVR connected directly to the TV with a short 3ft HDMI cable. Someone told us that it could be fixed by unplugging the PVR for several minutes, and then plugging it back on to force a full reboot.It seemed to help, but the flickering started again not long after.

It seems to have become worse since the last firmware upgrade, but we had seen this problem before several months ago.

Does anyone else have the same problem, and if so, have you fixed it?

Thanks.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: TV picture "flickering" every few seconds - 8300HD PVR

if your pvr is set to 1080i try tuning it down to 720p and see if it helps

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks.....I think the box might be the issue.  Rogers is normally pretty good about exchanging them (I am renting it).  I think I'll try this fix first.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: HD Box issues

what is your dispaly format? is it fixed or auto hdmi/dvi?   set it to FIXED.   if you set it auto, the box will keep sending different signals to your tv when you switch from high def to low def channels, and the hdmi hdcp may become corrupt to your tv causing the dropouts

I'm a Reliable Contributor

You can also try Component Cables instead of COAX

I've Been Here Awhile

I've tried Fixed and DVI/HDMI that doesnt seem to help, in fact Fixed made it worse. One thing I noticed was if I was recording and viewing another channel it started happening every minute. Also not sure if i am imagining it but peak viewing times 8 and later seem to make it worse.

This happens with cables and HDMI cable. Could I have a bad PVR?