cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picture Format Settings

supervillain
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi there, I just want to clear up some confusion regarding the Picture Format Settings on my HD box.  I am connected via HDMI, I have a few options in the menu for picture format.  I was reading the "auto HD" guide and it says to set the picture format to "Upconvert -1", but I was told by a rogers rep when I got my TV to put it to "AUTO DVI/HDMI".  Which one do I use??

***Edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Picture Format Settings

Jeffrey
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Hello,

It's best to find what setting work for your set up; it can vary depending on what television you have.

I have a plasma 720p. I set my PVR to "720p" & "Pass through"; works great.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor

Can you list all the options available? I can't remember them.

But I'm pretty sure you don't want upconvert. Your television will most likely do a better job upconverting.

supervillain
I Plan to Stick Around

Auto dvi/hdmi

upconvert 1

upconvert 2

fixed

I think thats it off the top of my head 🙂

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor

Personally I would go with Fixed or Auto.  Your tv should do a better job on the upconvert than the box.

Since the firmware updates, it has been recommended to use the "Fixed" setting. Many users are experiencing a stretched picture on SD channels using the "auto dvi/hdmi" setting. The "Fixed" setting will correct this problem. I can personally verify that from my own experience.

supervillain
I Plan to Stick Around

okay, when I set it to fixed, all channels stay in 480p mode.  Do I need to go back into the hd set up (with box off, press guide+info etc etc) and disable the other video modes?  

I am going to try to play around with it now....ugh

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor

Change it to Auto, then go to an HD channel, then set it to fixed.

You could also try your idea, I don't see a need to have any other mode enabled besides 1080i.

Jeffrey
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Hello,

It's best to find what setting work for your set up; it can vary depending on what television you have.

I have a plasma 720p. I set my PVR to "720p" & "Pass through"; works great.

supervillain
I Plan to Stick Around

Ok, so what I did was go through and disable all other settings except 1080i.  Then I set the picture format to fixed.  So now all HD channels are displaying in 1080i, and SD channels remain in 4:3 format not stretched.  This seems to work for now! 

Thanks for your help everyone!

supervillain
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks, I realize that now, but I just came from a tube tv to this HD thing in february, so I am still getting used to all the settings.

shouldn't matter, Computers have been using HD resolutions for years

supervillain
I Plan to Stick Around
ok thanks! ಠ_ಠ
Topic Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 in conversation