Pick and Chose Channels

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Pick and Chose Channels

Why do you not offer customers the option to create their own packages? The Apirl 2013 letter concerning changes to TV channel lineups and packages is frustrating in the extreme. BBC World News is one of the "very few" channels we watch and it is proposed to no longer offer it with for example the Cable Plus Combo. I am not prepared to pay extra for a Channel I have enjoyed for years. Are other customers equally frustrated?

***edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Pick and Chose Channels

For the frustrated part?  Oh yeah.. there are ALOT of people 😞

As for the own packages thing.. they actualy DID try that.. there was a pilot program they tried for it.
Unfortunately didnt do very well. 😞 for a number of reasons..
A)  CRTC demanded that there had to be a BASE package, everyone had to get.. no matter what... to "keep x canadian content" and that sort of thing.  was $20-22.

B) From there you could start adding other channels.  SOME you could add one by one.. others though.. many times, the BROADCASTER demanded that for someone to get that, they had to pay for their other 2 channels at the same time.

From all the readup i was able to do on it.. people were paying the SAME amount usualy, by the time it was all said and done 😞

Not saying its a bad idea... i would LOVE if it would go that way.  I think its going to be a while before we see it that way though.. there needs to be ALOT of changes both from the broadcaster, provider, and the CRTC for it to happen 😞

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Pick and choose type of subscription is only compatible with a Digital type of Cable subscription, possibly not even compatible with the DTA-50 terminals rogers is offering, unless they do some heavy channel mapping modification to their cable head end.

Looks like people with a real digital box are only eligible, who knows if they will be ready to roll it out

I've Been Here Awhile

I wish that Rogers would allow non sports fans the abilty to toss all sports channels and either save money or add a differnt set of channels. I am a digital VIP longtime customer and I am not interested nor a fan of sports yet my package includes dozens of sports channels and some speacilty sports channels that have and never will be watched. I know that there are many that would love to have the sports channels I have, I am just not one of them. I am sure there are others like me. I always thought it would be cool if we were allowed to pull the sports channels out and add a differnt channel package. I would gladly give all these sports channels away for say the superchannel package. Maybe if there were more that felt the same as I do they would create a package for us movie buffs that are not sports fans. Interested if anyone else has ever wished for such a thing.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

if you havent looked lately.. there are/were some changes to some of the linups.

For the same price as the VIP, there is

- Extra Lifestyle
- Extra plus

it might have some of the channels you are looking for (and not have some you want to get rid of)