Pick & Pay - CRTC

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Pick & Pay - CRTC

Which is odd though?

Because before, i thought you could have say VIP.. on Analog.. yes not the FULL access to all the digital channels.. but MOST of the core ones, etc.

At the time of cut over, you could get just ALL DTA's.. no digital box rental required at all.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Hello all, 

Someone please update me - I thought the DTA-50s were a temporary measure implemented when the analog lineup was being cut down, and that that their distribution to new customers was halted late last year (this device was removed from the website). 

I would be very happy to be wrong here!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The page is still available (maybe not readily linked anymore though)

http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=DTA_ORDER&_nfls=true

At least as of durring Feb, some users were still able to order i beleive.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

That's right, we haven't any other set top box. The starter package with rental of digital converter box (formerly free with basic cable plan) is now $34.44  including tax.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Clearly the DTAs were brought out so customers with basic analog cable could continue watching TV as channels became unavailable to them through no fault of their own because of the transition to digital. They had to be free (although still owned by Rogers) or customers would have found cheaper alternatives and left rather than buy or rent STBs at increased cost. The CRTC mandated the "skinny basic" to keep cable TV costs in check as the fees escalated. Basic cable is now over $40/month. I remember when it was $8. Charging customers who can least afford it extra for a DTA is like a hidden tax, but we're getting hit by more of those nowadays by our governments anyway. because this is 2016.

LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Now it makes sense - looks like you no longer get the adapter for free, you now have to pay for it.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Exactly. An easy way for Rogers to raise the mandated cost of skinny basic from $25 to $35. Business is all about loopholes.

LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Why is there no information on your site about the Skinny Basic TV package?  Where can I find that info?

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Wow, all of you guys are completely and totally off base here. I'm not sure how me saying "adapters have always been free and that hasn't changed" has morphed into "you now have to pay for it" within one page of forum posts.

DTAs are still free. However when you get the Starter you need a regular rental or purchased box.

As for someone earlier mentioning that DTAs were discontinued last year, that is sort of correct. Anyone who still has cable outlets with only analog cable on them and NO digital box whatsoever can get a digital adapter if they don't want to rent a box. But otherwise, no you can't get them.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Hello @PaulineInnes,

@PaulineInnes wrote:

Why is there no information on your site about the Skinny Basic TV package?  Where can I find that info?

The information is indeed posted at Rogers.com - visit this link and scroll down. The package is named "Starter" and costs $24.99/month.