Phone for earthquake kit

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Phone for earthquake kit

Hello,

I have an old fido flip phone that I'd like to put into an earthquake kit (I'm in Victoria). Does Rogers have something like a $50 prepaid SIM which lasts for something like 5 years (or longer). It would be great to be able to charge up this old phone, remove the battery, and package it with a sim should "the big one" flatten wherever I'm living.

Thanks for any ideas.

Nick.

****Edited Labels****

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Phone for earthquake kit

NickJudson

From what I know, they have ones that last up to 2 years or a year. You better call Rogers and get a better answer from them instead. They would be able to give you more info into this.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I agree calling would be the best.

Just a heads up though, you would want to pull that phone out every 6 months, maybe even quarterly and charge it.
Even with the battery out, a rechargeable battery will loose some charge over time.

Just don't want you to be supprised suddenly

I've Been Here Awhile

Good point. perhaps I'll run power out to the storage container and leave it plugged in there.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello NickJudson

That's true! Power it on a storage container or a separate battery storage I know places sell.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Battery cells out there, that recharge on solar, etc 🙂

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello GDkitty.

That is correct but the user is talking about leaving their battery in a box or toolkit. Once they take the battery out and pop it back into the phone, the battery will die.

Also the battery charges that use solar power, cost more then $100. Actually even more as they use solar power to work.

Good thinking tho!:)
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I meant a solar battery storage cell for the container. I agree they will cost money though.

It sounds like his earthquake fallout thing may be a storage container? Like a truck one or something perhaps? As he said running power out to it.

Just thinking this would be a better option in the long run, maybe just as much as running power out there, as well if there is a quake all regular power could be gone after that, but the solar would still work :).

I have a VERY simple one of these in my shed, powering an led light in there.

I've Been Here Awhile

Lol, no I don't have some crazy shipping container. Just a rubbermaid container in a plastic mini shed. I would love to drop some coin on the ultimate earthquake kit, but my budget is pretty limited. So you guys think that the battery will die if I leave it uncharged for >6 months? Maybe I should think about one of those chargers that you can pack with AA batteries and then charge your phone.

Anyways, I still need to call Rogers to find out how I can get a sim.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, most rechargable type batteries, will loose a charge even when unplugged.. nature of how it stores the stuff, that it can go up and down.. it wont retain it indefinately.

Maybe just set up a schedule, every X months take it out to charge for a day, check everything else (guessing you might have food in there? make sure no expired, etc)

As for the sim.. getting a sim for it should be easy and cheap.. it will come down, what pay as you go plan would have a card that lasts long enough without expiring.  Again for that , you might be best to call. 

hahaha, sorry about the shipping conatiner.. but you never know 😛 some people are like that... i know a guy in the US right now, with the whole gun thing... hes gone like PSYCO! and beleives there will be another civil war, and is buing things left right and center, has like a bunker, etc.. 😛