Phone call/email scam claiming to be Rogers?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Phone call/email scam claiming to be Rogers?

I got a new phone a little while ago, and I received a call from an unknown number (which has since dropped out of my call history) a few days after getting the phone, saying that they were from Rogers and were checking in to see if I was satisfied with my new phone. It was a lady who seemed unsure of what she was saying and fumbled alot with her words. She then asked if I wanted a free package with a bluetooth, case and screen protector because of something about being a loyal customer. I said sure. She also asked a few times about if I wanted to change my plan and tried telling me features and what not to see if I would change my plan. After declining it all, she said ok thanks for being a Rogers customer, blah blah blah. Somewhere in the phonecall she had also asked me to verify some info like they normally do when you call them.

I never got that package, but a few days ago I received an email from no-reply@rogersoffer.com saying this (I tried calling that number in the email and it was not a Rogers number):

[There was a Rogers logo at the top here]

Thank you for renewing with Rogers. Please retain this e-mail receipt for future reference. The details of your order are:

Selected Offer: Bluetooth Renewal Offer - Complete Kit
Order Date: Jan 30, 2012 [random date?]

Address Details
[My actual name]
[Completely random address]

Attn: 
TORONTO, ON [I don't live in Toronto, but the random address above was from Toronto]
[Incorrect postal code, which is not in Toronto...]

Language Preference: EN
E-Mail: [my actual email]
Home/Mobile Phone: (999) 999-9999 [this is unedited, this is what they actually had]
Work/Other Phone: 

Your Bluetooth Renewal Offer - Complete Kit will be shipped to the above address within 4-6 weeks.

This is a system-generated email. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY.

If you do not receive your Bluetooth Renewal Offer - Complete Kit within the given timelines, please call 1-866-466-8018 to report that your Bluetooth Renewal Offer - Complete Kit as not received. You will need to provide the address details located above.

Thank you.

I am assuming this is some kind of scam, but I want to find out if that phone call and this email are related? Can anyone help?

******* Edit labels ********

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Re: Phone call/email scam claiming to be Rogers?

What does Rogers say about this- contact them first.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hmm i called the Number that they gave you to call to report the bluetooth & it was a scotiabank number. Also the link 'Rogersoffer.com" Shows Rogers Scotia bank visa. Now this seems to be very odd but i called Scotia bank & they told me that Rogers does NOT have a visa with Scotiabank & this is a scam. So i would call Rogers & speak to them about this..
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

This could have been aimed at getting your birthday and postal code.  I would call to make sure no new purchases were made on your account.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I assume you don't have the phone number anymore.

I see your point. This email could be scam-related because some of the information you got there wasn't correct. And so was the phone call. The rep wasn't so convincing with ther spiels. So you have a reason for suspecting they're fraud. Why, if you just read the news and visit consumer complaint sites such as http://www.callercenter.com, you'd realize how sophisticated scam artists have become. 

But it's also possible that the call and the email were sent by Rogers. Did you check on the sender's email address? Sometimes, customer service is not always impressive. She could just be a new rep.

Your best option would be to contact Rogers customer service and check with them. If it's them, then you get your peace of mind. But if those were scam-related, then at least you did not only save yourself the trouble but you also alerted Rogers about the scam artists possibly contacting other Rogers' customers, too.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Well i did contact Rogers head office & spoke to a few Managers in which told me that this website IS fake. It's a scam. Everytime i even called the phone line it took me straight to Scotiabank & even with them i filled out a investigation form. I faxed them a email with the phone number & the website.
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Same thing happened to me, this is the owners of the www.rogersoffer.com website. I called Rogers customer service and was transferred multiple time with respect to the IPhone assessory kit that was to mine for completing a Rogers survey which involved   listening to their offer of a mobile tv app. .Are these people employed by Rogers? www.salespromo.com lists Rogers as a client. 

Registrant:
Sales Promotion Services Inc.
15 Wertheim Court
Suite 707
Richmond Hill, Ontario L4B3H7
Canada

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, LLC (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: ROGERSOFFER.COM
Created on: 19-Jun-06
Expires on: 19-Jun-13
Last Updated on: 27-Feb-12

Administrative Contact:
Sharp, Dan @salespromo.com
Sales Promotion Services Inc.
15 Wertheim Court
Suite 707
Richmond Hill, Ontario L4B3H7
Canada
958866382 Fax -- 9058866387