Phone Upgrade: Apple or Android?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iSeeNubs
I'm Here A Lot

Phone Upgrade: Apple or Android?

I'm waiting for the Rogers family plan promotion to kick in this December and the toughest decision for me is the choice of phone. I'm starting to lean towards Android because after using iOS for 3 years, I felt that jailbreaking was the primary factor which kept me bound with Apple. But with Android phone performance getting even with iDevices, it might be better to go Android since it natively supports tweaking right out of the box. So I want to hear some of the opnions of experiences of both iOS and Android users what you guys think. 

Android --> Would I be dissapointed with the new experience? Will the large size of   the phone grow on me? How is the after market support for Android   devices?

iPhone -->  Do you think the iPhone 4S would be future proof? with the iPhone 5(6)  just around the corner rumoured to have a much revolutionary upgrade.

If I'm going to be getting an Android it'd be presumably the Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE, unless if you guys feel there is another device that's superior to it. 

I'm going to be getting an iDevice, it will obviously be the iPhone 4S. 

Thanks! 

******* Edit labels ********

shaggyskunk
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Phone Upgrade: Apple or Android?

OH,WOW....OH WOW!
Meow will recommend the Raider 🙂
I really like the SG i727. The only issues that I have are with the network... I know it's the network, because whenever the sgh has connection issues, so does the Rocketstick.

kickernips
I've Been Here Awhile

I just hopped myself from Apple to Android and I dont regret it at all. I have to admit the iphone is more stable software wise. But other then that I love it. I had an iphone from the 3 up to the 4 and was just tired of ios. You cant upgrade the look of the phone at all except wallpaper unless you jailbreak it. I got the Galaxy s 2 and higher recommened jumping to Android like I did.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Shaggy knows me lol.

@IseeNubs. I suggest you look into the HTC Raider as well. Amazing phone over all. Yes it is worth moving from IOS to Android. IOS is nice & all but you can barely do anything. You are limited to things & can not put themes or any other fun things. WIth Android you are able to have fun with the phone & NOT be limited to things like Apple.

Unlocked
I Plan to Stick Around

I will second what Meowmix said. Raider or not, I find Android a much more user configurable platform, not just customization of wallpaper/skins which isn't a selling point for me.

Specifically what I like is the fact that I can have immediate shortcuts to turning off options (wifi, bluetooth, mobile data). This has been possible on pretty much every platform except the iPhone where you have to go through multiple levels of menus to access.

My main prioirity is that the phone is fast and workable as a PHONE; everything else is lower in priority (web, camera, etc...). Utlimately it's where your priorities are with a smartphone.

Mathieu

I strongly suggest the Galaxy Nexus as a first Android phone when coming from the iPhone.

shaggyskunk

MEOW FOR PRESIDENT!! :-). Of the Raider Fan CLUB 🙂
If you are looking for an O/s that you can customize, Android is the way to go.
This is my 1st experience with any smartphone, but I like the idea of being able to set things up the way that I want. From what I know about Apple's philosophy, there is not much that you could change.... but, hey, that might not appeal to you anyway?
Just about any of the top phones from HTC, Samsung or Motorola would be a liberating change from Apple.