Phishing?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Phishing?

ROGERS MAIL

Dear Valued Customer,

This is for your own safety to avoid the closure of your Rogers mail. You will have to verify your account by filling out your Log-in information below by clicking the reply button. We apologize for any inconvenience that this request may cause.

User ID:
Current Password:
Date of Birth:
Country of Residence:

After receiving the information requested you will be able to continue using your Rogers mail without hitches. Please do bear in mind that we reserve the right to close this Rogers account if this request isn't granted on time.

Thank you,
Rogers Online Services
www.rogers.com

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Phishing?

Easy way to spot these scams :
1. they ask for your user id and password
2. they ask for your country (note rogers is in Canada only)
3. They emailed you out of the blue
4. they want a reply to the email (they would make a web app or survey to collect information)

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Easy way to spot these scams :
1. they ask for your user id and password
2. they ask for your country (note rogers is in Canada only)
3. They emailed you out of the blue
4. they want a reply to the email (they would make a web app or survey to collect information)

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

...and doesn't Rogers say no one from Rogers would ever ask for your pass word?

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

Like my post about asking for your Birthdate as a security question... Rogers support staff in India DOES NOT need to know this data to replace hardware, nor does anyone else need it,  to prove your account information/status.

I am sorry but in this day and age, handing over such personal information to agents who are underpaid, over stressed overseas, is just asking for a disgruntled employee to amass such data and sell it off to fraudsters...

and judging by Rogers internet performance these days there are probably alot of rogers support staff facing many many angry customers, and by collecting such data could be their ultimate payback to a customer who wasn't exactly nice with them!

BTW this topic will be deleted because its not a technical question and violates their "keep it relevent" clause.. just warning you LOL

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Ummmm, as far as I know Rogers does NOT offshore support.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

I believe @kibosh is right.
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

Rogers has a call center in India for its mobile devices and rocket hub.. that is what one of the techs I have spoken to, has confirmed..

so there ya go

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

rogers also offshores its internal employee support to india too. thats a known, you can even go in the GAL and look at the offices, the addresses are in New Deli India

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I got the same message twice.

Please investigate.  Note the e-mail address in the "From" line.

Forwarded Message -----
To: 
Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2011 6:37:56 AM
Subject: Rogers Account Verification

Due to the congestion in all Rogers.com users and removal of all unused Rogers Accounts,

Rogers would be shutting down all unused Accounts, You will have to confirm your E-mail by filling out your Login Information below after clicking the reply button,

* Username: .........................  ...............
* Password: ................................ ............. 
* Date of Birth: ............................. .................
* Country Or Territory: ................  ..........................

After following the instructions in the sheet, your account will not be interrupted and will continue as normal. Thanks for your attention to this request. We apologize for any inconveniences. 

Warning!!!: Account owner that refuses to update his/her account after two days of receiving this warning stands the risk of losing his 
or her account permanently.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

The test that I always perform whenever I receive such mail is to place the cursor over all hyperlinks and see where it is really going to. In the two examples above, there are both going to att.com. Hence phishing!