Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phishing?

arrondee
I've Been Around
ROGERS MAIL

Dear Valued Customer,

This is for your own safety to avoid the closure of your Rogers mail. You will have to verify your account by filling out your Log-in information below by clicking the reply button. We apologize for any inconvenience that this request may cause.

User ID:
Current Password:
Date of Birth:
Country of Residence:

After receiving the information requested you will be able to continue using your Rogers mail without hitches. Please do bear in mind that we reserve the right to close this Rogers account if this request isn't granted on time.

Thank you,
Rogers Online Services
www.rogers.com

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Phishing?

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor
Easy way to spot these scams :
1. they ask for your user id and password
2. they ask for your country (note rogers is in Canada only)
3. They emailed you out of the blue
4. they want a reply to the email (they would make a web app or survey to collect information)

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor
Easy way to spot these scams :
1. they ask for your user id and password
2. they ask for your country (note rogers is in Canada only)
3. They emailed you out of the blue
4. they want a reply to the email (they would make a web app or survey to collect information)

BeerHunter125
I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

...and doesn't Rogers say no one from Rogers would ever ask for your pass word?

xplornetsucks
I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

Like my post about asking for your Birthdate as a security question... Rogers support staff in India DOES NOT need to know this data to replace hardware, nor does anyone else need it,  to prove your account information/status.

I am sorry but in this day and age, handing over such personal information to agents who are underpaid, over stressed overseas, is just asking for a disgruntled employee to amass such data and sell it off to fraudsters...

and judging by Rogers internet performance these days there are probably alot of rogers support staff facing many many angry customers, and by collecting such data could be their ultimate payback to a customer who wasn't exactly nice with them!

BTW this topic will be deleted because its not a technical question and violates their "keep it relevent" clause.. just warning you LOL

kibosh
I Plan to Stick Around

Ummmm, as far as I know Rogers does NOT offshore support.

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor
I believe @kibosh is right.

xplornetsucks
I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

Rogers has a call center in India for its mobile devices and rocket hub.. that is what one of the techs I have spoken to, has confirmed..

so there ya go

rogers also offshores its internal employee support to india too. thats a known, you can even go in the GAL and look at the offices, the addresses are in New Deli India

georganneb
I've Been Around

I got the same message twice.

Please investigate.  Note the e-mail address in the "From" line.

Forwarded Message -----
To: 
Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2011 6:37:56 AM
Subject: Rogers Account Verification

Due to the congestion in all Rogers.com users and removal of all unused Rogers Accounts,

Rogers would be shutting down all unused Accounts, You will have to confirm your E-mail by filling out your Login Information below after clicking the reply button,

* Username: .........................  ...............
* Password: ................................ ............. 
* Date of Birth: ............................. .................
* Country Or Territory: ................  ..........................

After following the instructions in the sheet, your account will not be interrupted and will continue as normal. Thanks for your attention to this request. We apologize for any inconveniences. 

Warning!!!: Account owner that refuses to update his/her account after two days of receiving this warning stands the risk of losing his 
or her account permanently.

sunrisecc
I Plan to Stick Around

The test that I always perform whenever I receive such mail is to place the cursor over all hyperlinks and see where it is really going to. In the two examples above, there are both going to att.com. Hence phishing!

kibosh
I Plan to Stick Around

How about the brutal grammar?  These e-mails always give me a good chuckle.

sunrisecc
I Plan to Stick Around

That too. Although one needs to know proper grammar in the first place. LOL

Baseva_Inc
I've Been Here Awhile

SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
This is for your own safety to avoid your account closed, you will have to verify your account by filling out your Login below by clicking the reply button. We apologies for any inconvenience
Username:..........................................
Password:............................................
Date Of Birth:.....................................
Country Or Territory:......................... 
After following the instructions in the sheet, your Account will continue as normal. Thanks for your attention to this request. We apologize for any inconveniences.
Thank you 
Warning Code:VY2E96AAh

ken_mcvey
I've Been Around

Is this possibly a phishing message?

As part of Rogers and Yahoo's commitment to strengthening our security and improving your overall mail experience, we have detected that your mail settings may be out-of-date.

This is a reminder that if you have not already made the necessary changes, you must update the Rogers Yahoo! Mail settings in your mail program (MS Outlook, Outlook Express, Mac Mail, etc.) on all your computers and other devices.

Please click here for simple instructions on how to make the necessary changes to settings in your mail program.

If your settings are not updated by February 28, 2014, you will only be able to access your mail from Rogers Yahoo! Webmail for your security.

Thank you.

That sounds phishy as well Ken. 

I don't take any chances with that stuff.  I never click on any link at all and instead will contact Rogers either through online chat or on the phone.  I prefer online chat but either will work and they can confirm if it is real very quickly.

*edit* whoops just noticed an entire thread...a huge thread...as one of the stickied ones.  On the first page it says this is legit, but I didn't go through all the pages to confirm it or not.  Take a quick glance through it and you should have your answer.

Rye is correct.. you need to take ANY email, with a grain of salt.. and be careful of links, etc.

This one, IS legit... as mentioned there is another thread here on it. 
For anyone using a 3rd party program, like outlook, thunderbird, etc.. and connecting via PoP, will need to make the changes to be able to retreive their mail.

Unfortunately, the email itself, was badly written/delivered.. and DOES look like it could be a phishing attempt.

Rogers E-Mial Phishing?

Saskey
I Plan to Stick Around

I have recently received the below on two separate e-mail addresses, which is odd? :

"Dear rogers Mail User.

Your account was signed in from unknown location. click here Please to verify your account to avoid closure.
Rogers Team."

It is from "jennylynnshadow@aol.com". The link, which I did not click, appears to be to a shopping site, "textile.biz.Yahoo.html"

Generally phishing hits addresses in groups, but these were specific to each of my addresses (or bcc'd).
Anyone else getting these?

Re: Rogers E-Mial Phishing?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Please remove the link if you can (just so someone doesnt accidently click on it, etc)

havent seen them myself.... but DEFFINATELY a phishing attempt.

An official one wouldnt come from an AOL email, etc.

As well the URL as you say, is nothing to do with yahoo/rogers.

Phishing isnt always done in groups.
If sent from a HACKED someone elses account, to help bypass outbound spaming protocols, can send singles, over a slower period, to appear like regular mail.

As well, if its a virus/malware on a PC doing it, can sometimes go one by one through a local users address book, etc.

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 13 in conversation