On that note:
It was announced during the Nokia Connection event in June 21 that the Symbian Anna update would be rolled out in August (source: Nokia's official blog here).
On Nokia's verified Twitter account, they expect Anna will be "available by the end of August".
Hopefully Rogers will be able to receive and approve of the update quicker than with PR 1.1.
Another vote that Rogers will stay on top of updates.
I honestly didn't see many changes with 1.1 and don't see a need for 1.2 if it means Anna will come sooner. It seems 1.1 & 1.2 were minor updates mostly behind the scenes. Anna on the other hand is going to be major and not just aesthetics; there will be some features that really improve the interface and productivity/efficiency of the phone.
I've held off debranding and even unlocking my N8. How you handle this major update will be the final deciding factor for me.
Any news from Rogers? It's been months since any Rogers employees has commented on this thread's subject.
Does anyone know if Rogers will release the update OTA as soon as its available (which I'm assuming is any day now), or are we going to have to wait 3 -4 months before they test it and decide to release it?
I too am curious to know what Rogers' position on the OTA update to Anna for the N8 is. Can someone from Rogers respond please?
The Symbian Anna update is being rolled out today, as per Nokia's official blog:
It doesn't look like Canada was included in the first batch of countries to receive the update (no surprises there), though the list suggesst there are "more" countries not included in the list.
It doesn' t matter, though. Rogers hasn't shown me anything to suggest that they will update our phones immediately upon its arrival in their "system".
On a more positive note: This forum post made by an official Nokia employee suggests that when a country receives an update, typically, all variants (including both product codes locked to a carrier [to Rogers, for example] and those that aren't) will receive the update at the same time.
I bought my N8 outright ($449) the first week rogers put it up on their site because I wanted to go the 'safe' route and get the warranty, stability etc. instead of buying an unbranded version from god knowswhere.
Boy am I sorry! My peers that went out and shelled out a few extra bucks are now enjoying ANNA PR2.0 while I'm sitting like a fool with PR1.1 (they laugh).
It's almost as if Rogers doesn't even care about promoting this handset, PR2.0 is a huge update which battles the common opinion of Symbians out of date UI. FYI, under the "product specs" for the Nokia N8 Rogers says the device cannot video call, when we all know that it does, very well.
I'm getting tired of waiting and will flash my device to an unbranded product code OR the leaked Belle update within the next couple of weeks if my N8 still says "no updates are available".
Tired of living in 2010.
Please can you tell us (your customers) when we will be expecting the release of Anna update?
It shouldn't be that hard to release an update.
Hope to have an answer soon.