Paying off student plan contract then upgrading phone

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Paying off student plan contract then upgrading phone

I have an iPhone 4S which i purchased back in September 2012 with the Rogers Student Plan with a 3-year contract. I want to upgrade to the iPhone 6 when it comes out later in the fall, but do I need to pay off my contract first before making an upgrade? Also, when I upgrade, can I stay with the same Student Plan that I have and have the same number? And will I have to pay an early cancellation fee even after I pay off my contract?

***Edited Labels.***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Paying off student plan contract then upgrading phone

Well, you are not paying off your CONTRACT per say.
You are paying back the FLEX TAB.  Essentialy a loan on the rest of the hardware price.

So, what you would do, is when you went to GET the new phone.. you would have to pay whatever remaining amountd is there at that time.

(lets just say for example purposes, it ended up being $120 remaining)

As they are then setting up the NEW phone/contract (which will only be a 2 year), you would then likely go on a NEW flextab on the new phone.
You would be paying say $150 (an example, as no prices, etc yet) for the new phone, with like $500 flex tab amount.

So walking out the door, using the example $ values above.. you would have a $270 charge.. This charge would go on your next bill.

As for your PLAN.. that all depends.
How much do you pay for that current plan?
The only stipulation for the new contracts (since the tab is being paid off now in 2 year, vs 3) the plan on there needs to be $60 or more.  As long as your plan is that much, you should be fine and not HAVE to change it.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Paying off student plan contract then upgrading phone

Well, you are not paying off your CONTRACT per say.
You are paying back the FLEX TAB.  Essentialy a loan on the rest of the hardware price.

So, what you would do, is when you went to GET the new phone.. you would have to pay whatever remaining amountd is there at that time.

(lets just say for example purposes, it ended up being $120 remaining)

As they are then setting up the NEW phone/contract (which will only be a 2 year), you would then likely go on a NEW flextab on the new phone.
You would be paying say $150 (an example, as no prices, etc yet) for the new phone, with like $500 flex tab amount.

So walking out the door, using the example $ values above.. you would have a $270 charge.. This charge would go on your next bill.

As for your PLAN.. that all depends.
How much do you pay for that current plan?
The only stipulation for the new contracts (since the tab is being paid off now in 2 year, vs 3) the plan on there needs to be $60 or more.  As long as your plan is that much, you should be fine and not HAVE to change it.

View solution in original post