cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pause function - Ignite tv

1234444w43
I Plan to Stick Around

Why is the pause function on Ignite TV so useless?

It lasts maybe 15 minutes at most and then cuts to live tv including turning the volume back on.  The Nextbox was much better.  The pause function lasted for at least 60 minutes.  Is there any way to switch back to Nextbox from Ignite tv?

***Added Labels***

25 REPLIES 25

Re: Pause function - Ignite tv

arteaa1
I've Been Around

The cloud/stream excuse doesn't explain why the pause doesn't last longer on RECORDED shows.

Wouldn't so bad if the box remembered which RECORDED show I was watching.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@arteaa1 wrote:

The cloud/stream excuse doesn't explain why the pause doesn't last longer on RECORDED shows.

There is a valid technical reason for this behaviour.  Systems (your computer, a server on the Internet, any system) can only have a finite number of open/active network connections, the (primary) limiting factor being the number IP address/port pairs that define connection endpoints that you can have.  When a recording is paused, the stream may not tie up much network bandwidth but the network connections on the back-end systems are still active and take up scarce resources on all the servers that are involved in delivering that stream to you.  (You need to think about these sorts of things when designing systems "in the cloud" that serve a huge number of customers... and this is why you hear about web sites crashing under load; their designers don't understand or consider all the factors that impact scalability.)

When a stream gets paused, Ignite TV does not know when you will ever resume that stream, so it closes idle streams and makes it as easy as possible to resume them from where you left off.

Wouldn't so bad if the box remembered which RECORDED show I was watching.

Actually, it should.  If you press the "back" button on your Ignite remote, you should see that recording in your History.  When you select it, playback should also resume from the exact point where you had paused the recording.

Rackasa
I've Been Here Awhile
I agree that this suck big time. For us it’s maybe 5 minutes. Then it goes to a live channel and you have to find that recording again.

Bplayer
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@RackasaWhen that happens just press the Last key on the remote. It will show a list of the last 9 watched. The second from the right which it lands on is the recording that you were watching before the pause timed out.

Rackasa
I've Been Here Awhile
I just tested this and you are correct. My issue is that it doesn’t stay paused as long as the old system. I’m the type that will pause a show to use my phone for a length of time. I use to be able to do this for 45 minutes+ before live TV came on. Now I think it’s only 15 minutes (I’m testing this now). Obviously a first world problem but I preferred the longer pause on the old box.
We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats
  • 25 replies
  • 17 Likes
  • 14 in conversation