cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pairing non-rogers smart lightbulbs with Smarthome Monitoring system

laurafrazee
I've Been Around

Can anyone tell me whether it's possible to pair a non-rogers smart LED lightbulb with the smarthome monitoring system hub? I have one of the LED lightbulbs from Rogers, but since they're pricey I want to get a few more from Home Depot but they're not the same brand. 

If they are bluetooth bulbs will they still pair with the hub? Or am I limited to Rogers-only bulbs?

Thanks!

***Edited Labels***

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Pairing non-rogers smart lightbulbs with Smarthome Monitoring system

RogersGabrielle
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Good Afternoon @laurafrazee,

Welcome to the Community Forums!

Unfortunately, the LG LED Light Bulb can only be delivered by a technician, at no extra charge to the customer (for the technician visit). You would only pay for the lightbulb itself.

The good news is that the LG LED Light Bulb has an approximately 25,000 hour lifespan so you won't need to replace it often.

Hope this helps!

@RogersGabrielle

Pardon me for stepping on toes here @RogersGabrielle but that isn't at all what the OP was asking.

I believe she was asking if a 3rd party lightbulb could be used with the SHM system. I'd answer the question for you myself @laurafrazee but I don't know anything about SHM.

@lockdown2341 and @laurafrazee,

We always encourage our customers to use Rogers approved products  to ensure that we are able to properly troubleshoot should an issue arise with that product, however any third party bulb can be used as long as it is an LED lightbulb and has the capability of connecting to the Rogers Smart Home Monitoring system.

Just an FYI, the LED Wireless light bulb is now available for purchase on rogers.com as well and will ship directly to your home at no cost.

Let us know if you have any further questions!

@RogersGabrielle

JohhnyRockets
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Perhaps I am confused, but why would anyone buy a lightbulb from Rogers? I can go to any hardware store, department store, or even a grocery store to buy a lightbulb! Is there something special about a lightbulb from Rogers? LOL!

roxandtreez
I'm a Senior Contributor

@JohhnyRockets

Is there something special about a lightbulb from Rogers?

Twice a week you have to unplug it for 2 minutes and let it reboot.

Before it lights up you have to delete your cache and cookies.

Every night at 2:00AM it turns off in order to download updates.

JohhnyRockets
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@roxandtreez

LOL! Sounds like a Rogers PVR!

All jokes aside 😛

They are not regular lightbulbs the OP is talking about.. they are 'connected' LED bulbs.   Smart bulbs so to speak.
Ones that allow you to wifi, etc connect them, to be able to turn them on remotely, set timers, etc for them to come on/off, etc, without necessarily needing to use a switch, etc.

Yes, even these are something that you can get from places OTHER than rogers, like home depot, etc.
They do connect wirelessly, and often have their own propritary software (or some can say link with other stuff like the wink hub).
I currently am running a WEMO switch based controler at home.  This is for my outside lights.  Allow regular on/off like a normal switch for that circut.  You can program on/off times, etc.  Great for the outdoor lights to turn auto off at night, etc.

Now THIS answers the OPs question:

No, i do not beleive any of the regular retail ones can connect to the rogers system.  As far as i am aware, all the rogers sensors, etc are all working on Zigbee type connectivity.  They are not regular wifi connected (like most of the other smart type bulbs are).  
I beleive you can can buy some zigbee based things on your own in some places.. IF rogers can add them seperately though? I dont know.

WHY would you buy a rogers based one VS a 3rd party?

There is no reason you HAVE to.  For any of the products.  The bulbs/wall outlets.  The cameras, etc.  All these devices you CAN get elsewhere, and usually have their own software, etc.  for connectivity.
Unless you get all the same 3rd party brand.. or if they are not all conectable to something like the WINK hub.. you may have to run 3-6 different APPS on your phone, etc to control the different things though.  (vs one interface for the rogers).

The only other advantage to the rogers one that i can really see, is some of the triggered events. 
Now i beleive there are SOME triggered events you can do on stuff like the WINK... but dont necessarily tie into then the Security System.
With the rogers system, you can set up some decent triggered and timed events.
EG:  Your front hall is normally pretty dark when you first come in, switch is a few steps away, etc.  You can set up a trigger, that you set will only activate between 5-11pm in the evening.  This trigger, you have set to watch for a DOOR OPEN event.  Upon the door open event, it will trigger your light control (for a lamp, a switch control, whatever), to trigger an ON control, to turn on the light for you.
those sorts of things.

Andy75
I've Been Around
Great answer. I wish Rogers had a few other bulb choices. There are so many more attractive smart bulbs out there in many styles and sizes. I'm going to keep trying other smart bulbs until I find one that works with the hub.

Side note people can purchase the dimmer and attach any lamp they like to it. In true Rogers form though the dimmer is extremely over priced.

I just came back to Rogers and already feel like I've made a huge mistake. The customer service sucks, they don't even use Canada call centre's and they continue to charge Canadians some of the highest prices on the globe. When my contracts end again in 2 long years I'll be going back my last service provider.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While the people on the end of the phone, may not always speak the greatest english..
As far as I am aware, unless it has changed in the last year or two..
ALL rogers call centers are located IN canada.
(vs many of Bells i know are out of country.. knew a few people who used to work higher up there)

The dimmer prices have dropped.. they used to be $49.  Are now down to $35 it looks like.
Which is on par with some of the other smart connected ones.  
The WEMO ones are $40-50.

The Ikea bulbs despite using the same tech format as Rogers - are seen by the system but can't be paired as being 'unsupported'

Hello @User105,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 😃

I know how important it is to ensure you buy equipment that is compatible with your Smart Home Monitoring System.

Only equipment purchased from Rogers is compatible with the Smart Home Monitoring system and we cannot guarantee any Third Party Devices will be recognized by the system. To ensure you are purchasing compatible equipment please only purchase hardware for your system by clicking here.

I hope this helps!

RogersTony 

@RogersTony that comment doesn't help at all.  All it does is reaffirm the poor decision by Rogers to lock out compatible hardware by treating it as 'unsupported'.

Yes we all know we can buy expensive equipment from Rogers.  The lightbulbs from Rogers work great but are too expensive to use in every room.  I tested one Ikea lightbulb as a test since I knew for a fact it is technically compatible and half the price of the Rogers equivalent. I posted to let others know not to get excited.

The hope was that we could use cheaper products using the same ZigBee system as Rogers.  They are designed to be compatible and are in fact seen by the system.  They only do not pair because of a business decision to lock out non-Rogers products as 'unsupported'.

No one is asking Rogers to guarantee third-party products.  That is a risk many are willing to take to save money.  What would help is Rogers not locking us out of using third-party products that are fully compatible or partnering with providers like Ikea that are trying to bring the costs down and really encourage whole home adoption.

The technology is great and the system has so much potential.  It's a shame to see to Rogers take such a myopic view in search of short term profits.

zegr81
I've Been Around

Excellent reply.  I agree 100%.  Rogers system has great potential, only seem to limit themselves and their users by locking the system.  The variety of third party options far exceeds Rogers supply, however we are limited by their self serving rules.

And this is keeping in mind that I like my system and its functionality.  Just too bad I can't make it even better.

Maybe they will listen someday...

Topic Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 10 in conversation