Packet Loss Problem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Packet Loss Problem

Is anyone having packet loss problems? I'm paying for extreme, and speedtest.net is currently giving me between 0.6Mbs and 1.3Mbs download (1.8-2.0 Mbs upload). Running pingtest.net a number of times is all over the map ranging from A to D (and more D's than A's). Running ping -t google.com in a command window shows numerous request time outs ranging between 1-2 successful pings up a maximum of about 20 successful pings. My streaming audio has not worked since Thursday night. Loading web pages is hit and miss depending on whether the line gets dropped or not. A technician came out Saturday for 3 hours and could not solve the problem. He did confirm that connecting the modem directly to the connection on the telephone pole with his laptop exhibited the time outs with the ping -t test. A second technician was suppposed to come this evening and didn't show and didn't call. It took two hours on hold to talk to a technician and all he did is confirm he could see packet loss even with my router powered down. I think I'm in for about 6+ hours now with no success. I'm guessing Rogers is having some problems; are any others seeing this?

***edited labels***

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Packet Loss Problem

Yeah, doesnt sound like a local problem, your modem, etc.. sound more like a problem in that specific area.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I had to change modems twice in a week...that's 3 different modems (original + 2 replacements) because of crappy connection. Problem is still there and now my packet loss goes as high as 86% according to pingtest.net. After years of a great connection I am at a loss. Can't get any traction to get the problem solved, just shuffling of feet and blaming this and that - it's like a make work project because they never seek ouit the root cause of the problem. Unbelievable.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Same here!!! I called them 3 times in 3 week, and this week told them, I am canceling. Same here around 85% Packet Loss

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I had the same problem last summer. It was intermittent and they never could figure out what was wrong. Eventually, it cleared up. Recently, had the modem reseting continuously. They change modem and it worked fine for 2 days. Now having the old packet loss issue again.

Check my "leaving" post for what you're facing when you cancel.