cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PVR or Remote App?

robinalanaberry
I've Been Around

Apologies if this has been posted before...Is Rogers in the process of making an app or website to allow for remote programming of your PVR?  There are times when I am away from the house and I hear about shows playing during the day that I would love to record but of course, I'm not at home.

Also, is there an app that I can use as my remote control (at home) to control my PVR/TV?  That would be a great app as well to have.

Thanks very much.

Robin

***Edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: PVR or Remote App?

dharrison
I Plan to Stick Around

Chris, see http://redboard.rogers.com/2010/live-from-rogers-tablife-to-cmo-declares-tablets-dashboards-of-tomor...

I'll quote the relevant passage from Rogers executive VP John Boyton.

"Starting in 2011, you will be able to set your home PVR using your tablet. "

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor
I think it's pretty safe to say they aren't creating an app to do that.

As for a third party app to control some device that would control the PVR I haven't heard of anything like that, but sounds like a good idea.

dharrison
I Plan to Stick Around

Chris, see http://redboard.rogers.com/2010/live-from-rogers-tablife-to-cmo-declares-tablets-dashboards-of-tomor...

I'll quote the relevant passage from Rogers executive VP John Boyton.

"Starting in 2011, you will be able to set your home PVR using your tablet. "

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor

Wow, I guess I'm wrong.. I thought it was pretty safe since they don't have any interaction wiht the box from the web or vice versa. I mean it's all possible I just don't see Rogers moving fast enough to impliment such a feature since we are still waiting for some way to search the guide...

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

if they can link your caller id to your digital box, then there *is* a way to control your PVR recordings remotely too. It just hasn't been released yet, probaly because its very buggy and not stable enough yet for consumer lunch.

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor

I just figured the callerID was the pvr sniffing the cable line for the incomming call. It's not like caller ID is available for non rogers phone.. 

But yes I know it's all possible.. But believe they don't have the ability or again way to buggy...

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

My friend moved his cable box from his Dad's house to his house, and called Roger's to make the necessary changes.  I guess the changes do not take effect immediately, because when people were calling his DAD's house, the phone number was showing at HIS house on his TV screen.  That is, untill the changes took effect and then it was normal again.

Seeing how this works, implementing something to control the PVR is not difficult.

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Pauly thats pretty funny! Neat to see someinsite on how the stuff is working 🙂

Daniel1
I Plan to Stick Around

I actually just read an article about this in the Connected magazine! (the one you usually get for being with Rogers)

The article said that like a remote pvr controling app would be coming soon to BB's, Android and iOS. It seems like it'd be able to control when shows are being recorded and stuff no matter where you are. Which is awesome because I've seen Bell ads on TV saying they can do that on their phones.

Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 in conversation