cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PVR Software (Menu) Upgrade

snaydjoW
I've Been Around

Does anyone have any information on any upcoming update the the PVR system?

It's the only thing I absolutely HATE about Rogers.  The whole PVR set-up sucks!

There have been rumours of a new system coming soon, but if it doesn't come soon I may have to switch my TV just so I can get a half-decent PVR.

***Edited labels***

93 REPLIES 93

Re: PVR Software (Menu) Upgrade

I'm having the same run-around.... my PVR has been "malfunctioning" in a myriad of different ways, since the "upgrade".

Every time I call the call centre reps refuse to admit a problem and, instead, focus on a "signal issue."

I've had a repairman to my apartment and he's verified there is no signal issue.

I am now being told I have to book ANOTHER appointment so a "senior technician" can come to my place for "further troubleshooting."

There is clearly no accountability.

My building has a contract with Rogers and, as a result, we are held hostage in our ability to change to any other provider.

pmcsplaza
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Have you tried rebooting several times and, if you use an external HDD, tried going through the reconnection procedure?

Peter
Toronto

Obsydian
I've Been Around

Hi

Just wanted to share that I have been with Rogers for many years now, as a result of suffering the rath of BELL.  I called in today, and as usual the rep was friendly, and supportive.  They will send a tech out to our home tomorrow evening (BELL WILL NEVER DO THAT!) to check the signal, which we know is not an issue as it was fixed a few months back.  If the problem is with the boxes, they will replace both our rental and purchased PVR.  Both of them are shutting off, erasing scheduled recordings, making noises that would have me believe it has become possesed by a demon.

The tech also confirmed there will are no further planned changes to software.  I only asked this because if it is just a glitch that will be corrected with another upgrade shortly, I would be willing to wait to see if it works.  The tech said this was not the case, and that my best option was to have the PVR looked at /replaced. 

So before you jump ship to the dark side, and decide to live with a nasty eye sore (dish) attached to your house, think twice...and think about your neighbours who have to look at an ugly dish attached.  Kidding, but seriously, I've always had exceptional service from Rogers, and I'm confident that this issue will be resolved by them to my satisfaction.  Instead of complaining about the tech coming to your house....let them, and let them give you a replacement PVR and see if that works.

Cheers.

RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Thanks for your comments Obsydian.

Salinger
I Plan to Stick Around

I finally got the firmware upgrade a few days ago, as well as the auto-HD update.

I guess I'm lucky as I have had no issues whatsoever.  All my previous recordings are still there and playable, and all scheduled recordings are still recording as they should.  Pausing live TV causes no issue and in general, the only changes for me have all been positive.  I was a little worried having read the issues many people are having.

There were some nice minor enhancements in the upgrade, but if the tech to whom @Obsydian spoke is correct, and no further updates are planned, I will, overall,be very disappointed to say the least; to the point where I will indeed be jumping ship in the new year (@Obsydian you don't have to have a dish with the new Fibe service).

Still no search function (that to me is completely unforgiveable in this day & age), still a very clunky, ugly and 4:3 guide even in HD, still a far too significant number of programs with generic (non episode specific) descriptors and many more issues as well.  If this were the state of the technology today, I'd accept it, but when virtually all major competitors offerings are so far beyond the 90's technology that Rogers offers, it is really disheartening.

I had friends in from the US over the weekend, and they said "oh, your PVR box is exactly like ours" but were shocked to see the interface when I turned it on.  So, it isn't the hardware that is limiting the software, it is Rogers' choice of software.

SolidSawyer
I Plan to Stick Around

Salinger, my guide has always been 16:9. Maybe you have a wrong setting? Try going to an HD channel, then go to the advanced settings and choose Fixed for the display setting or something like that? Just an idea.

dharrison
I Plan to Stick Around

SolidSawyer, you are the first person I've EVER heard describe a Rogers guide as 16x9.  Mine is absolutely not, as I have vertical black bars on the side of the guide (and yes, my setup works perfectly for HD). Are you sure your TV isn't set to stretch your picture horizontally?

Hooter
I'm a Reliable Contributor

You are correct dharrison. The guide is in a 4:3 format, much to the chagrin of many viewers. Depending on your TV settings though, it is possible to stretch the guide so it then becomes full screen and appears to be in a 16:9 format, when in fact it is not.

SolidSawyer
I Plan to Stick Around

You know what, I was thinking of something else and I think you guys are right. I was recalling a situation before I fixed the view setting after the firmware update and it was stretching the image for all SD channels, including when you brought up the guide. Sorry for the misinformation, unintentional.

Hooter

This firmware update has been a horrow show for many. I know I might be criticized for saying this but the bottom line is that Rogers does not adequately test these things. They rolled out the firmware updates and despite numerous complaints, they continued to roll out the software as if nothing was wrong. There is no real improvement by having the new firmware. They brought in the 8642 PVR which does not support either TV call display or the Quick Start Guide (OK. I'll concede that is good thing). The same thing happened when they introduced the new MyRogers Website. It took close to a year to get the kinks out of that one, but with numerous horror stories in between. And ask anyone who has one of their SMC modem/router combos and once again you will hear more horror stories. I read about what is happening elsewhere (in both Canada and the U.S.) and I am amazed that Rogers can get away with what they do.

pmcsplaza

Their website is still acting up I hate to say.   If I try to (for instance) to add extra channels to my lineup, I get to the first page of the list and when I try to get to page 2, always the same, a red warning at the top something to the effect 'the website is experiencing difficulties...blah, blah" and it's been like that for about a year at least, in both Firefox 3.6.13 and IE8 fully updated.

I'm sick of telling them about it and getting the same old answer, the website was designed for IE6 (would you believe that.)

Peter
Toronto

Hooter

@pmcsplaza

It does not surprise me at all, though I have never tried to add channels. I just don't get it though. Rogers is a high tech company but nothing they sell seems to work the way it should for many people. When I read about the AT&T U-verse which integrates home phone, Internet, and TV I just shake my head at what we are getting from Rogers. With the U-verse you can:

• Record up to four shows at once on a single DVR.
  • Record and play back your shows in any room from a single DVR
    on any TV with a U-verse receiver*
  • Pause, fast-forward and rewind recorded shows on any TV from a
    single DVR
  • Pause your recorded show in one room and pick it up in another
  • Play the same recorded show on different TVs at the same time
    and control them separately

http://www.att.com/u-verse/#fbid=YR7l23A5nty

You can also program it remotely from your computer or smart phone.

Rogers is decades behind providers in the U.S. Sad!

pmcsplaza

Yes I saw that advertised on a US network...one that Rogers missed covering up with one of their own commercials, for a change.

It surprises me since Rogers at one time had the most advanced cable system in the world...or so I believe.

Peter
Toronto

PhilP
I've Been Around

And here I thought all was finally settled down (shame on me!).  Tonight I hit pause during a show, came back about 10 minutes later and continued watching.  Imagine my surprise when it suddenly cut off, then I realized that even though I was supposedly in delay mode the time had passed 9PM, so the last 10 minutes of the recording went poof.  Before this update the live recording would continue behind the current time until I stopped it, now it appears not, kinda defeats the purpose of pause and rewind live TV.

Phil

Mobius
I've Been Around

@PhilP wrote:

And here I thought all was finally settled down (shame on me!).  Tonight I hit pause during a show, came back about 10 minutes later and continued watching.  Imagine my surprise when it suddenly cut off, then I realized that even though I was supposedly in delay mode the time had passed 9PM, so the last 10 minutes of the recording went poof.  Before this update the live recording would continue behind the current time until I stopped it, now it appears not, kinda defeats the purpose of pause and rewind live TV.

Phil

I had the same thing happen to me last night, coincidentally at 9PM as well.  It was rather annoying.  I also find that since the latest update occasionally the pause/rewind/forward functions stop working until I change the channel or power cycle the pvr. 

Newbie69
I've Been Here Awhile

I agree the software that Rogers uses is decades behind and not coming close to other cable providers in N. America.

Rogers just think about cutting costs and not about customers, if there was any other cable provider in Ontario I would have switched.

kkennie
I've Been Here Awhile

I have had all the problems being discussed here on our 8300.  The issues took several more updates to correct issues and new ones would appear.  Some showed up in even stranger ways (like an initial  ten minutes of a recorded program just sliding through the complete 2 hour time of the recording - you cpould watch it when you played the recording while it was recording - so at the end all you had was the initial 10 minutes) but that is a story for another day. 

I use a booster to push the signal enough so I was not getting pixilation or just black screen when tuning a channel (pvr box needs certain signal strength or it doesn't display channel).  The booster was ONE-WAY so rogers-on-demand wasn't available unless I disconnected the booster.  That was OK for me as I don't use ROD.  Rogers would call me occasionally because they couldn't talk to the box.  I'd explain the one-way booster and why it was there, they'd send a technician who would say the signal was Ok.  Soon thereafter I'd get pixilation again so the booster was put back on.  This went on for years.  Then I decided to improve the service and put in a Bi-directional booster so I;d have ROD.  Well big mistake because soon there after they did the firmware/ software update and it was a nightmare of issues that culminated after several weeks with the pvr losing all my programs on the pvr extender I have.  It has the index but can't find the programs.  Tech support took my call on that and left me a voice message that all was corrected.  That's hogwash as the programs are still missing.  This is a BIG issue for me as my family only watches recorded programming.  Now it's all gone and my wife is Pis---.

If I put the one-way booster back in then they will not touch the box so I will do that.  But first I will take the pvr in to be replaced as tech services suggested today.  I want the newer model (I purchased the 3200 and it's still on warranty) .    I had no issues with the pvr until they did the update in November.  Other than the long cable run requiring the booster but that isn't their fault and it didn't cause technical issues with our use of the pvr.

Then I'll look forward to Bell Entertainment fibre to the home coming to my area (Scarborough) in 2011.  I know some bell entertainment fibre users in other areas and they are bragging about it.  In the past I had huge issues with my roger's home phone service as well that took months to rectify so I'll not be sad to see them go.  I just don't matter to them. 

Hooter

Though we had the initial firmware update last November and not experienced any difficulties, I am sad to say that is no longer the case.

Last night our PVR rebooted and I assume that Rogers was once again screwing around with updates. This time, we lost almost everything on our eHDD. Recording space went from 46% to 3%. Over 200 shows were lost. The only shows now available are a few from before the initial update last November and what was recorded after 2:00 AM this morning. Despite numerous calls and complaints from angry customers, Rogers continues to play these silly games and pretend like nothing is wrong. 

Well something is wrong Rogers. You have messed up with a firmware update that was never properly tested. You have pissed off a lot of customer and I am one of them. This may be the straw that broke the camel's back. We have 4 services with Rogers but will eventually (once contracts expire) be looking for someone who can provide decent service. 

pmcsplaza

I doubt a firmware update would wipe an external drive, internal one maybe.  That said, I wonder what update that was as I never received one?

Have you posted in Digital Forums too?

Peter
Toronto

Hooter

I know lots of others have experienced loss of recorded shows on their eHDDs since the firmware update began last fall. I thought we were one of the lucky ones. However after the box rebooted early this morning, virtually all of our shows will no longer play. Like I said, recording space went from 46% to 3%. I have done a hard reboot of the PVR 3 times now as well as a reboot of the eHDD. None of it worked! I will be posting in Digital Forums too!

pmcsplaza

Tried switching off the eHDD unplugging, replugging and then switch it on again?

Can you connect the eHDD to your PC to see if they are still there, you should be able to judge how full the drive is?

I just swapped the 8300HD box in my bedroom for the new 8642HD and it still reads the eHDD contents OK, weird.

Peter
Toronto