cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PVR Software (Menu) Upgrade

snaydjoW
I've Been Around

Does anyone have any information on any upcoming update the the PVR system?

It's the only thing I absolutely HATE about Rogers.  The whole PVR set-up sucks!

There have been rumours of a new system coming soon, but if it doesn't come soon I may have to switch my TV just so I can get a half-decent PVR.

***Edited labels***

93 REPLIES 93

Re: PVR Software (Menu) Upgrade

Hooter
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@jsknipfel

We now have the update. Our eHDD is working. You do have to make sure to do a hard reboot after the update and we did lose one show that was recorded immediately prior to the reboot. Other than that, everything is fine with the eHDD.

Hooter

@jsknipfel

From what I understand, the stretch mode occurs when watching SD channels. To back up what has been stated by pmcplaza, there is a wealth of information on the Digital Forums site. However, to correct the stretching, there is apparently a solution. Tune your TV to an HD channel. Then, go to settings and change your picture format to "fixed". This apparently works. Also, in quick settings, you can make sure the picture format is set to 1080i.

Hooter

Having survived the firmware update I do feel fortunate. What intrigues me is that recently Rogers has introduced Auto HD. We were notified of this through a phone call and Rogers even created a special Website to answer all of our questions about this. Why could they not have done something similar for the firmware update? Everything I have learned about this update has come from the Digital Forum page (http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=131572). There are numerous tips on how to get your PVR working properly again. Why did Rogers not take the initiative and create a page like they did for the Auto HD and notify their customers through an email or phone call?

pmcsplaza
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Auto HD not working here with 8300HD and the new firmware.

Peter
Toronto

TimBee
I Plan to Stick Around

I had many of the issues others had, such as recordings disappearing as soon as the actual recording stopped and blacked out screen when hitting the pause button.

Doing a reboot from the menu fixed all of the problems, as far as I can tell.

TimBee
I Plan to Stick Around

Actually, I can't tell about the external hard drive and if it is still being used but I am hearing a sound from the direction of the box and external hard drive that sounds almost like some hard drive is being rebooted. Not sure what it is but it is aggravating.

SolidSawyer
I Plan to Stick Around

It turns out none of the recordings I scheduled last night actually saved. The red light had been on and everything. I just tried pausing live TV for the first time since the update and the screen went black. Then I did a power cycle reboot and pausing worked. I'm testing the recording now. I will try the tips for fixing the stretch, actually I think I've already done what was described above just by fiddling around so hopefully it sticks.

I've never heard of Auto HD.

Hooter

You can read all about Auto HD here: http://www.rogersautohd.com/

Like the new firmware update, not everyone has it yet, but it is being phased in.

SolidSawyer
I Plan to Stick Around

Hmm. I've been tuning into my HD channels in the 500s for like 3 years now so this isn't gonna benefit me. Thanks for the info though. A feature I'd love would be the ability to disable that new guide screen they added a few months ago that forces you to hit Guide twice to get to the actual TV guide. Real inconvenient, at least make it optional Rogers.

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor
@SolidSawyer if you go into the self service menu in the first screen that pops up when you press guide you can change the order that the quickstart/guide show in. This way you can have guide first. I know it doesn't eliminate the quick start but it does help. Or exchange for a cisco box as it doesn't have the quickstart yet...

Hooter

@SolidSawyer

Actually, Rogers did add that feature a number of months ago. First, hit guide to access the Quick Start menu. Then scroll down to "Self Service" and click "select". Scroll down again to "Change GUIDE Order"  and click "select" again. Then click on "TV Listings first". From now on, when you hit guide it will take you straight to the TV guide. If you don't want to be bothered with the Quick Start Menu at all, be sure to hit "exit" after viewing the TV listings.

SolidSawyer
I Plan to Stick Around

That is great news, I had no idea. Thanks guys.

TimBee
I Plan to Stick Around

There is a way to set it so you can get the guide on the first hit of the guide button.

RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)

Thanks for the help everyone!

@SolidSawyer

Don't forget to offer a thumbs up if you like posts.

YakaFett
I've Been Here Awhile

Does anyone else notice that their 8300HD powers up the hardrive then it powers down every few minutes since the firmware update even if it is off?  I am afraid its going burn out my harddrive.  Has anyone successfully got Rogers to admit this is a problem? 

pmcsplaza

@RogersErin wrote:

Thanks for the help everyone!

@SolidSawyer

Don't forget to offer a thumbs up if you like posts.

RogersErin, does anyone at Rogers read these forums and act upon what's being discussed?   Or is it regarded as a place for people to let off steam and nothing more?

The latter I suspect.

Peter
Toronto

RogersErin

Hi pmcsplaza,

Yes, Rogers reads our forums and passes along suggestions from community members.

We created this venue to provide a positive and growing place where you can candidly discuss your technical issues, and express your ideas, comments, questions and concerns.

While we have a Community Manager and Moderators, our forums are intended as a peer-to-peer community and, like any public forum, there are basic community guidelines and rules everyone is expected to follow, so everyone can enjoy  the community experience.

We want you to directly benefit from our new interactive technical support forum.

Enjoy 🙂

pmcsplaza

That's good, thank you.

Peter
Toronto

RogersErin

@pmcsplaza

You're welcome!

Ever since the push of the 8300HD SARA Update firmware, I have not been able to playback any recorded programs. I have had a technician out due to "signal issues" which I'm now being told continue.

How can Rogers continue to do business in such a poor manner? I am sick and tired of all the S%$^ (Sorry for the technical terms). Someone needs to step up and fix the issues that have been going on. Their "Engineering Department" hasn't been able to even determine what is causing all the issues with the firmware updates according to their support team. This is rediculous!

I have lost so much faith in their ability to provide even a basic level of service. Time for a change maybe to one of the other **bleep** services that we have available to us here in the land of no options.