cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PVR Software (Menu) Upgrade

snaydjoW
I've Been Around

Does anyone have any information on any upcoming update the the PVR system?

It's the only thing I absolutely HATE about Rogers.  The whole PVR set-up sucks!

There have been rumours of a new system coming soon, but if it doesn't come soon I may have to switch my TV just so I can get a half-decent PVR.

***Edited labels***

93 REPLIES 93

Re: PVR Software (Menu) Upgrade

Salinger
I Plan to Stick Around

On Rogers Red Board, it was noted some months ago in response to the numberous complaints about the Rogers PVR interface, that some major changes and improvements were coming later in the year.  That cryptic message was as much information as was able to be shared by Rogers at the time.

Is this new firmware update that is currently being rolled out, what was being spoken of in those posts?  Or is there a further enhancement still to come this year?

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor
I'm guessing there is more to come. This seems to be a patch release to bring the SA boxes inline with the software on the new Cisco boxes.

rising1000
I've Been Here Awhile

anyone else have their pvr extender not work?

I am not sure my apricorn 500 with wd 5000 aaks hard dirve quite working

thks

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor
@rising1000 lots of people are reporting this problem. Some are reporting that they got another update shortly that corrected the problem. (Or at least thats how I've read it)

Hooter
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Another forum has 11 pages of comments about this update, mostly negative. Is Rogers listening? If they are aware of the problems (and I have certainly emailed them), why do they insist on forcing this update on people? It certainly boggles my mind!

pmcsplaza
I'm a Trusted Contributor
I think Rogers are listening as they are pushing out an amended firmware update to take care of the eHDD issues. Don't forget that a reboot is usually required after an update to make things work as they should.
Also the updates are still going out - the timetable was "Oct/Nov" so we have some time to go yet.
Peter
Toronto

mysticowl
I've Been Here Awhile

I just got the firmware update today and am not a fan. Firstly, I hated not being notified in advance. I thought something was changed about my actual service, it was very jarring to turn the TV on and find everything different.

Plus, I hate the content itself: I'm not at all pleased with the new look of the menus. And I had to spend 40 minutes playing with both the PVR's and the TV's resolution settings to get the look of the non-HD and HD channels just right. I prefer the pillarbox for non-HD channels, but the default of the new software was resolutely against it and it took a lot of fiddling to get it to being pillarbox and not having a 3 second lag when I hit the HD/ZOOM button.

pmcsplaza

It must be your TV that's causing the issues as I had no problems at all.  All my previous preferences remained as they were, all my recordings intact etc.  All I changed was the default menu colour to give me a better overall image when viewing the IPG and settings menus.

I will advise anyone who gets the update to reboot as soon as possible afterwards.

Peter
Toronto

UgLeigh
I Plan to Stick Around

This is my open letter to Rogers...if my PVR's are not working the way the were on Tuesday morning by Thursday morning you will be losing my $400 per month...I knew something was terribly wrong when I turned them on this morning so fix them tonight or Bell here i come!!!

UgLeigh
I Plan to Stick Around

LOL way too funny...since my post not too many minutes ago I have recieved two private mesages from Erin telling me that I have a new rank in the forums...thanks Erin...well worth the $'s I give you every month!!! Well done Rogers!!!

UgLeigh
I Plan to Stick Around

More news...after all of my other problems I am having....don't dare hit pause  or rewind,laggy response,terrilble new interface,status bar that does't go away....now I just tried to bring up my guide while recording two programs and it tells me I have to cancel the recordings to view the guide...WTF?

Smiley Very Happy well done!!!   let's see how long it takes them to start deleting my posts  LOL

UgLeigh
I Plan to Stick Around

I  am thinking about setting up my new HD camera to record these problems and post them on youtube

Hey Rogers...."Don't touch my junk!"

pmcsplaza

Well give them a chance.  Have you tried rebooting a couple of times?   Did you call for technical support.

You may wish to read THIS thread.

Peter
Toronto

jsknipfel
I've Been Here Awhile

I am incredibly disappointed with this upgrade.

The default screen mode is now stretched, instead of normal, and it cuts off the left hand side of the closed captioning.

As a person who is hearing impaired, this has TOTALLY ruined my enjoyment of programs.

I miss half of what is being said!!

The only way I can get it to work, is to change my default with my TV remote, but when I change channels or turn off the PVR, it defaults back to stretched.  It's so annoying.

The only good thing I can say about the upgrade is that I like the fact that the channels are in different colours, depending on whether or not I'm subscribed.  That's helpful when we have people staying at the house who don't know what we're subscribed to!

However, the layout of the new TV guide menu is lousy.  It's more difficult to read than it was before... and I think the bevels that are now present around each of the programs is totally unnecessary.  It's not esthetically pleasing and serves no real purpose, other than perhaps a "make work" project that Rogers has embarked on.

I've also noticed that when I try to play again, after fast forwarding, the response time is much slower than it used to be.

I agree with previous comments that say that Rogers should do Beta testing long before they roll out the new software updates.

It's really just a common courtesy to see how your subscribers feel about what you're doing, and then service them accordingly!!

We are, after all, the reason you continue to stay in business!

jsknipfel
I've Been Here Awhile
@Hooter - on a side note: how did you set up your external hard drive with your PVR? I've tried, but with no luck!!

UgLeigh
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks Erin...another new rank! And thanks for the reply pmcsplaza but I am not going to read any more threads. This is just a joke. Rogers has more money than Oprah so this upgrade is totally unacceptable....reverse it tonight or lose a faithful forum poster...LOL I might even get a new forum rank for this post...yipee!!!

pmcsplaza

Do some research and call them for help if necessary, if it's so bad how come a whole bunch of us have had no problems whatsoever with it?

Peter
Toronto

tmr
I've Been Around

I would say it is 5% forward and 95% backwards.

It is great that I can tell what stations I get and which I don't but the lag in horrible and the new guide harder to read (smaller fonts).  Also the playback showing me the time is ugly compared to the old.  As an IT professional I would be forced to pull out any changes that I made for my customers that would cause such a degradation in services.

Augarusa
I'm Here A Lot
I just got off the phone with Rogers tech support. They're refusing to admit any problems. I was advised to exchange all three cable boxes. Very frustrating......

SolidSawyer
I Plan to Stick Around

I've been having issues for months with my west coast big network channels just plain not recording shows I've scheduled. Mostly seems to be with CBS and is very consistent. I've not been able to record a single episode of Hawaii Five-0 on the west coast broadcast since it premiered in September. Whenshows do record, they're almost always scrambled and glitchy, unwatchable. This always always happens with NBC, and sometimes with Fox. I got the 8300 firmware update today and I'm hoping this does something to improve my west coast recording. I really like the new look of the interface, it looks more HD and clean, professional. I also noticed that it's saving my progress for every recorded show, like a resume feature. That's new. My external HDD still works, at least for playback of previously recorded shows. I scheduled one show for tonight and it didn't record it, but other shows did record. I should have called Rogers about my west coast channel problems a long time ago, but I just didn't expect they would do anything about it. Another thing that's started over the last month is shows on Fox east cost start splitting up into a million parts, but only certain shows like Good Guys. It'll happen to the same show repeatedly on different weeks, wacky. Oh yeah, another issue is that for SD channels it stretches them to fill the screen and I haven't found a way to stop it from doing that.

pmcsplaza

You all might to want to refer to the Digital Forums thread I linked earlier for some ideas.  Those with persistent stretched picture should disable "480i/p stretch" mode in the Advanced Setup Mode.

I can understand thoase with sight challenges having issues with the new font but I personally find it much clearer and easier to read.

Peter
Toronto