cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PVR Software (Menu) Upgrade

snaydjoW
I've Been Around

Does anyone have any information on any upcoming update the the PVR system?

It's the only thing I absolutely HATE about Rogers.  The whole PVR set-up sucks!

There have been rumours of a new system coming soon, but if it doesn't come soon I may have to switch my TV just so I can get a half-decent PVR.

***Edited labels***

93 REPLIES 93

Re: PVR Software (Menu) Upgrade

Haigo
I'm Here A Lot

Wish I knew... I agree that the interface needs a facelift.

dharrison
I Plan to Stick Around

Agreed completely.  It's now October; is there any word from anyone on software upgrades?  Anyone from Rogers listening?

RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi dharrison,

Welcome to our community!

I don't have any new announcements as of yet.

Thanks

Hooter
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I hear that the new firmware is being phased in. I also hear it is causing many problems for many people such as:

-huge lag
-pause while watching or viewing while 'recording' results in black screen
-no recordings saved

We have an external hard drive with a lot of recordings we do not want to lose? Is there any way to opt out of the new firmware update? And why would Rogers force this upon people if it is causing so many problems?

Hooter

Would be nice to get an answer to my question!

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor

Which PVR do you have? I exchanged my 8300HD for the cisco 8642 and the software is pretty much the same but at least the guide grey's out the channels i don't have. But yeah they won't announce when the new software is coming until they actually release it as they have no clue when they will get the bugs worked out and when they will be actually ready to deploy let alone which features will make it in..

Last time they pushed new software (the quick start menu) they got a lot of negative feedback and I doubt they'll want to repeat that so there will be a lot of testing and user acceptance I bet.

Hooter

I still have the 8300 HD. I have emailed Rogers and they have admitted that there have been problems with lag time, which they are investigating,  yet they continue to roll out the new firmware! This is what I don't understand. Why do they roll out buggy software? But what I am even more concerned about is losing all of our recorded shows which seems to be happening to many people. Though I raised this question in my email, they failed to address this issue! I would rather not have the new software if it is going to cause problems! From what I understand, the new firmware is only for the 8300, as the 8642 already has the latest version.

don_toronto
I've Been Here Awhile

I received the firmware update on Tuesday Oct. 26th (Toronto, downtown).  There are several improvements but there are many problems too, it's really a step back not forward.  The most important of which is that it disabled my PVR extender.  I called Tech Support, they say I'm the only one with the problem (which I'm not, it's a serious problem as per the Canadian Home Theatre forum) but they said they'd look into it.  They didn't call back in 72 hours as promised and when I called back I'm told my ticket is closed.  Thanks. 

Is there any hope of this firmware being fixed?  I've got recordings on there of a few fav. films in HD that are not on blu ray and several fav. TV episodes. 

I am also having problems with my pr 8300hd since the upgrade. In fact, I can barely watch tv. It takes up to 5 minutes for the box to start up when turned on. If I mistakenly press pause or rewind while watching live tv, it freezes. I can press record and the box appears to record but all recordings disappear after the show is over.

This issue is very frustrating! I had a working pvr until Monday Oct 25th. The firmware update happened Tuesday morning. I've opened 4 tickets with Rogers. They've all been closed. The techs are not aware of the issues. I don't have time for this, and I will not buy a new PVR.  We also have a rental because these PVRs are so unreliable. I'm looking at other companies.

Hooter

It is inconceivable to me how Rogers can keep doing stuff like this. It reminds me of when they rolled out the new platform for the "MyRogers" site. Despite numerous complaints, despite how buggy the software was, and despite the fact that it took almost a year to get the kinks out, Rogers refused to admit there was anything wrong. Now they are doing the same thing with the new firmware update. There are 8 pages of comments (mostly negative) on the digital Home page:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=131572

I want to know two things. First, why do they not suspend the update when it is causing so many people so many problems? Second, why can I not have the option of opting out of the update? I contacted Rogers and they told me no. Why not? I am the customer and I do not want the update. If they insist on installing it and it ruins my TV enjoyment, we will seriously consider switching to BELL. I am now at my wits end with Rogers!

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor

I have a feeling the problem is the right people don't know about the issues people are having and thus nothing is being done about it. 

As for the being able to opt out I can understand that from their side it would be way to much overhead to make sure their servers and back end equipment are compatible with multiple versions of the software. They already deal with multiple versions of the hardware and are trying to get the software to be the same throughout. If they can't have all the clients (aka digital boxes) running the same version it would be a nightmare to maintain and troubleshoot users issues.

That said... They really should test more and have a beta program that users can sign up for and test the new stuff out for them and have direct feedback before they start pushing it to the rest of the customer base. (Rogers if your listening sign me up as a beta tester....) 

RogersErin

@Chris

I will pass along your interest in beta testing.

Hooter

@Erin

Are you also going to pass along the comments from the people who are having real serious issues with the new firmware upgrade? I don't have it yet, but the comments and feedback I have read is really scaring me (see my comment above) and I do not want the update if it is going to ruin my enjoyment of TV and wipe out my recorded shows! Chris does have a great point though. Allow people who wish to volunteer (like Chris) to test new updates and upgrades before inflicting them on unsuspecting customers.

RespectPlease
I Plan to Stick Around

Hooter is bang on.  Not enough testing was done of the new firmware before they started downloading it to PVRs. Then they have the nerve to say that no one is having any problems. Please, go to digital forum and read the 8 pages of  comments.

RogersErin

@Hooter

Yes, I will pass along all comments in this thread regarding the firmware issues.

bingo, something also tells me some people at roger's are unaware of all the problems with this software, its like no bodys communicating with them, like their from another planet?

well i hope somebody tells them

Be sure to click Likes for those who have helped you!
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s).

glears
I Plan to Stick Around

When I called to find out about the upgrade just a few days ago, they're people on the phones didn't know about the upgrade or details of it.  Only after escalating to a supervisor who then put me on hold for about 5 minutes, did someone finally know this firmware upgrade is going on.  It's strange how rogers is keeping this Firmware Upgrade on the hush hush to the point that they don't even let their front line people know about it.

Salinger
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm in downtown Toronto and still don't have the update. 

The PVR interface from Rogers is one of my biggest gripes with Rogers' services.  It's like something out of the 80's, truly.  From what I'm reading on the forums this latest update is somewhat of an improvement, but it is still lagging severly behind what is available from other carriers and 3rd party offerings like Tivo.

Nowhere in the all the reading I've done on the features of this upgrade, have I seen mention of a search function.  Please, please tell me that is not so?  To not be able to search for a TV show in 2010 is absolutely unacceptable and beyond incomprehensible.

I really think Rogers needs to admit the Scientific Atlanta boxes have been an abject failure as far as customer functionality goes.  It is truly time to look at alternatives because even the new 8642 is kind of pathetic in what it offers compared to Bell, Tivo, TELUS and many others.

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor
It's not the boxes it's the software on them.. My sister lives in NYC and has the same hardware but with way better software. Things like searching, remote control setup, hiding un available channels are all standard on the one she has. Rogers just needs to upgrade the software and make it way better.. It doesn't have to be this bad, all these boxes are are computers with a tv tuner in them..

pmcsplaza
I'm a Trusted Contributor

I have two 8300HD boxes in this apartment.  The secondary one in the bedroom has updated twice, once a day or two ago, which then made the eHDD useless and recording anything at all next to impossible.

New firmware came in for that box today and now things are working again...I think.

Strangely my living room box hasn't even got the bad update, let alone the second, good one.

I have tried rebooting several times to see if it will update, but thus far, nothing.

Perhaps I should be grateful!

Peter
Toronto