PVR Software (Menu) Upgrade

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pmcsplaza
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: PVR Software (Menu) Upgrade

I have two 8300HD boxes in this apartment.  The secondary one in the bedroom has updated twice, once a day or two ago, which then made the eHDD useless and recording anything at all next to impossible.

New firmware came in for that box today and now things are working again...I think.

Strangely my living room box hasn't even got the bad update, let alone the second, good one.

I have tried rebooting several times to see if it will update, but thus far, nothing.

Perhaps I should be grateful!

Peter
Toronto
Salinger
I Plan to Stick Around

On Rogers Red Board, it was noted some months ago in response to the numberous complaints about the Rogers PVR interface, that some major changes and improvements were coming later in the year.  That cryptic message was as much information as was able to be shared by Rogers at the time.

Is this new firmware update that is currently being rolled out, what was being spoken of in those posts?  Or is there a further enhancement still to come this year?

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor

I'm guessing there is more to come. This seems to be a patch release to bring the SA boxes inline with the software on the new Cisco boxes.
rising1000
I've Been Here Awhile

anyone else have their pvr extender not work?

I am not sure my apricorn 500 with wd 5000 aaks hard dirve quite working

thks

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor

@rising1000 lots of people are reporting this problem. Some are reporting that they got another update shortly that corrected the problem. (Or at least thats how I've read it)
Hooter
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Another forum has 11 pages of comments about this update, mostly negative. Is Rogers listening? If they are aware of the problems (and I have certainly emailed them), why do they insist on forcing this update on people? It certainly boggles my mind!

pmcsplaza

I think Rogers are listening as they are pushing out an amended firmware update to take care of the eHDD issues. Don't forget that a reboot is usually required after an update to make things work as they should.
Also the updates are still going out - the timetable was "Oct/Nov" so we have some time to go yet.
Peter
Toronto
mysticowl
I've Been Here Awhile

I just got the firmware update today and am not a fan. Firstly, I hated not being notified in advance. I thought something was changed about my actual service, it was very jarring to turn the TV on and find everything different.

Plus, I hate the content itself: I'm not at all pleased with the new look of the menus. And I had to spend 40 minutes playing with both the PVR's and the TV's resolution settings to get the look of the non-HD and HD channels just right. I prefer the pillarbox for non-HD channels, but the default of the new software was resolutely against it and it took a lot of fiddling to get it to being pillarbox and not having a 3 second lag when I hit the HD/ZOOM button.

pmcsplaza

It must be your TV that's causing the issues as I had no problems at all.  All my previous preferences remained as they were, all my recordings intact etc.  All I changed was the default menu colour to give me a better overall image when viewing the IPG and settings menus.

I will advise anyone who gets the update to reboot as soon as possible afterwards.

Peter
Toronto
UgLeigh
I Plan to Stick Around

This is my open letter to Rogers...if my PVR's are not working the way the were on Tuesday morning by Thursday morning you will be losing my $400 per month...I knew something was terribly wrong when I turned them on this morning so fix them tonight or Bell here i come!!!