PVR SA 8300HD not working with extender in the last few days

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

PVR SA 8300HD not working with extender in the last few days

Since Friday my PVR is not working when I have my hard drive extender connected. I can't watch anything recorded on the PVR or any TV channels because it keeps freezing and rebooting the PVR. It takes several reboots to recognise the external hard drive, and then it just crashes again. If I disconnect the hard drive, it is working fine.

This just started on Friday morning after 2am, so I'm guessing it'sa new firmware "update". Has anyone else seen this happening?

I have a 8300 PVR.

***Edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: PVR SA 8300HD not working with extender in the last few days

I didn't think they were doing updates on the 8300 anymore, but I could be wrong.

It is possible the extender has died. If the pvr can't access it properly could be causing what you are describing.

I'm a Senior Advisor

According to the Digital Home Forum, there is now a new SARA version 1.93.14.1 for the 8300. 

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=156392

Like previous firmware updates, it is apparently causing some problems. Perhaps rhiannon has experienced this update. One can only hope it will not be the disaster that the previous updates have been, but once again, the signs are ominous. You have to wonder if Rogers will ever get anything right!

I Plan to Stick Around

Similar to your problem,my PVR downloaded a new version of sara firmware a week or so ago.Since then,my externalHD keeps disconnecting randomly freezing the screen. If I disconnect it ,and reboot,the PVR seems OK.So this new upgrade definatly has problems,as I see on other websites like Digital Forum.

Before this happened,I may have had to reboot maybe once a month,or if a power outage happened. The External has to be turned on before the unplugged PVR is powered up so as it will be recognized by the PVR.

I've tried hard rebooting for a week now,but it keeps losing connection.

btw.I bought the SA8300HD PVR from Rogers about 2 1/2 yrs.ago.The External is a WD1TB in a Nexstar CX Sata Case I bought at Canada Computers and assembled myself.

I've Been Here Awhile

Similar thing happened to me and here is my post:

after recent rogers upgrade for software everything recorded on pvr with rogers extender (old 500 mb model) and scientific atlanta 8300 started every few minutes to freeze for 1-2 seconds then continue. rogers advised trade in pvr for new as in refurbished one and that did not work. then they said buy new seagate 1 tb extender from them and that did not work.then they said trade that new one in and get another 1 tb seagate and that did not work. then put old extender on bedroom pvr and it also pauses on that pvr. then unplugged new extender on living room pvr and everything recorded straight to pvr works perfectly.now rogers say it is seagate problem and to call them. any ideas anyone?

now rogers say switch to nextbox.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Unbelievable what Rogers is telling you. And how much money did you spend because of totally clueless and incompetent CSRs?  The pausing is occurring because of the new firmware update. It has NOTHING at all to do with your equipment. The solution used by many to eliminate the pausing while watching a recorded show is to record a second show such as one of the galaxy music channels. The recording of this second show while watching your original show prevents the drive from spinning down and pausing while spinning down. Some people also report the pausing problem without an eHDD or extender attached. The bottom line is that it is not a Seagate problem, it is not a problem with your PVR; IT IS A ROGERS PROBLEM CAUSED BY THEIR UPDATE TO YOUR PVR! 

How many customers are going to do the wrong thing because clueless and incompetent CSRs give out the wrong advice?

The most complete guide to look at for these issues is found here:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=156392

By the way, Nextbox is also fraught with issues. Stay away from that as well!

I Plan to Stick Around

I am having exactly the same problem this past two weeks,as in my last message,Sept.29 2012.
The external HDD keeps dropping connection after an hour or two of inactivity.My unit was working fine after the sara update last winter,up until now.Has anyone had this problem recently?
Ross
I Plan to Stick Around

I have the same problem like last year.My external HD in the last 2-3 weeks will keep dropping it's conection.At the most,it lasts about 2 days or less.I have done nothing different,or changed any settings.

I have to turn off the HD,as it has the fast flash pilot,then unplug the PVR power.

Then turn on the HD and wait till the light blinks,then plug in the power again to the PVR,holding the power button at the same time until I see BOOT.

Has Rogers been playing around with SARA again or any updates during the last 3 weeks?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Only thin i have heard, from someone else on another board.. who is pretty famililar with the 8300s..

Is that on both of his 8300s, the external drive, he has hear spin up/down more often in the last few days..

Not your issue though.