cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PVR Recordings wiped out overnight! Nextbox 3

Plibra
I Plan to Stick Around

Sometime between 11pm last night and 11am this morning all of my recorded programs disappeared! Scheduled future recordings are all still listed but my PVR is now at 0% full and everything previously recorded us gone. I've tried rebooting and nothing has changed.

Is there a known way to retrieve these programs or am I out of luck? Is there a way to prevent this in the future?

***Edited labels***

16 REPLIES 16

Re: PVR Recordings wiped out overnight! Nextbox 3

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello Plibra

I have had this done on my 8642 PVR last year & many others had the same issue. Now i do not know if its the same thing on the NextBox 3.0 as mine are all still there.

Unfortunately there is no way of getting the recordings back & there is no way of preventing this of happening. Sometimes Software updates do this. I have noticed this on phones / computers & other electronics.

Plibra
I Plan to Stick Around
Ack! Since I posted this a message just popped up saying that my scheduled recordings at 8pm won't record because there's no room on my PVR! It's at 0%, and even before everything vanished I was only at 25%! I guess I need to call tech support 😞

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello Plibra

You can try on the settings to do a factory reset on the box. This will bring the box back to the factory state when you first got it. It may just need that. I have heard many stories like this after this happened 😞

Plibra
I Plan to Stick Around
Thank you, I will try that.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello Plibra

I hope this helps you!

Plibra
I Plan to Stick Around
Now I have a Cisco info page and "cd00" on the display on the box, it doesn't appear to be doing anything as it's been over 20 mins. Called Rogers tech support, I'm sure it's surprising to all to know that they immediately said the box is fried and I need to exchange it. Lovely.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello Plibra

It showed that to me & i left it for a day. It went back to normal after a day. Here is a thread already made months ago about this error.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

Plibra
I Plan to Stick Around
Argh. It started to seem like it was doing something but now I'm stuck in an endless boot cycle. I'll just leave it alone overnight and see what happens, can't exchange it at this time of night anyway. Thanks for your help, you were more helpful than tech support, that's for sure 😕

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello Plibra

Exactly! Leave it & see what happens. If nothing happens tomorrow, try one last time to reboot it & see if that fixes it. If it does not then go to the store & exchange it for another box!. Hopefully it does come back up & working for you by the morning so you won't have to make that trip!.

You are welcome:)

cangril2009
I've Been Here Awhile

July 6, 2017

Just had old PVR wiped out. Old recordings that we'd kept for years. Not sure who the uniformed Rogers tech is who did this but it's inexcusable. Will likely look for a new provider.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@cangril2009:

I have a few questions and comments.

1. Was this an 8642 that was recently upgraded from SARA firmware to Navigatr?

2. If not what was the make/model of the PVR and how old is it?

3. It's not unusual to have a hard drive failure/hiccup after 3-4+ years.

4. Because hard drives do tend to fail after a few years, one should never consider a PVR as an archive. It's a time-shifting device.  Luckily, today it's often easy to find most older programming somewhere on the web like YouTube.

5. Why do you have a comment regarding a uniformed (uninformed?) tech?  Were you dealing with someone when this happened?  Additional information would be helpful and please realize that the same can (and does) happen on any provider.

6. I assume you didn't do a "reset to factory" settings?

cangril2009
I've Been Here Awhile

No problems with this old PVR before the Rogers random upgrade to Navigator software (which is slow and more difficult to navigate than the old software).

The hard drive did not fail.

The lost recordings are not anywhere on YouTube. Many are from local cable.

Since Cisco (or Rogers) removed the USB port many years ago from these units, it is not an easy thing to make copies of PVR recordings.

I have not reset to factory settings.

You have never been able to copy the info from it via USB.
You could add an ext drive to expand storage..  but not been able to copy back and forth.

Even the people who have taken the drives out, coppied, etc.. all the videos are encrypted.

As mentioned,unfortunately these devices are not designed to be used as long term storage devices.  Record so you can watch later? Yes.  Record to keep 'forever', no.

Unfortunately, NO provider at all, will EVERY guarantee PVR storage.  None of them will ever guarantee that you will never loose any.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@cangril2009 wrote:

No problems with this old PVR before the Rogers random upgrade to Navigator software (which is slow and more difficult to navigate than the old software).

The hard drive did not fail.

Since Cisco (or Rogers) removed the USB port many years ago from these units, it is not an easy thing to make copies of PVR recordings.

I have not reset to factory settings.

This thread title is about the NextBox3. I assume you actually have a NextBox2 which was previously running SARA firmware? (model 8642).

As mentioned above, the USB port was never active for archiving/recording. The SATA port was active for expanding recording capacity with an external drive, but again, it was not an archive.

The only way I know to archive in HD quality is to use an Hauppauge HDPVR (HTPC) and offload to the computer in "real time" using component video connections.

It's also possible to archive in SD quality using a DVD recorder (composite video), provided that copy protection doesn't get in the way, which it has more and more recently, unfortunately.  As I mentioned, these PVRs are time-shifting devices and that's why there is so much control from the providers, which are also pressured by the content providers to work in this manner.

Sorry to hear about your loss of recordings, but this can sometimes happen, especially when new firmware was rolled out like it did in July 2015 with Navigatr.

One thing you could try is to reboot the box once or twice. Sometimes there is simply a problem with the index and your recordings are still there. You've got nothing to lose by doing a reboot or two.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@cangril2009 wrote:

The USB ports on PVRs are not for customer use and even if you could get data off a PVR, it's encrypted and useless. However, the SA8300 with SARA does have a menu item to copy to VCR (or DVDR).

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@cangril2009 wrote:

Have you checked ROD? 

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Community Testing Lab

We’ve got an amazing opportunity to test our upcoming Gateway!

Click here to find out more!

Topic Stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 in conversation