PVR Extenders/Expanders not working

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CABACON
I'm Here A Lot

Re: PVR Extenders/Expanders not working

Chris, do you know if doing the hard reboot twice in a row will restore the old programs that were saved on the extender?

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor

@CABACON thats what I had read elsewhere.
CABACON
I'm Here A Lot

@Chris, I will give it a try and advise on results.  If it does indeed work, I have to wonder why the Rogers CSR techs did not suggest such a simple solution.

Stay tuned.

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor

@CABACON do you really have to wonder?? 😉
CABACON
I'm Here A Lot

Ok Chris, here is the update!

Yesterday, I followed the reboot sequence as suggested and it ain't pretty.

My PVR seemed to be rebooting in an endless loop.  I was thinking it might be doing that to defrag the drives and reindex so I left it after waiting over half and hour.  I left it to run overnight to see if it will get its brains back the next day.

Well, I went tonight to check on the unit and hoping to watch some TV.  Surprisingly, the unit had the time showing.

- Turned on the unit and it looked like it was functioning fine watching what was showing on different channels.

- Pressed the LIST button and it showed a list of programs that I had recorded.  Went to see the storage space used and it was now showing to total space available including the one on my PVR extender.  I thought this was good news since it never showed that after the firmware update.

- Tried to play a program that I had recorded previously on the PVR extender and it did not play, only showing the, all too familiar now, no program to play screen.

- Thinking that the PVR might have lost its connection to the extender, I thought a reboot might help.  I went through the ROGERS GUIDE to do a soft reboot and the PVR is now stuck again in an endless loop of reboots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought maybe Rogers tech support might have done something to the reboot sequences so I gave a call into their support line.  The CSR told me to check the connections and do a hard reboot on the unit.  Did that and the PVR was still rebooting constantly.  The only recourse the CSR offered was to send a tech to swap out the unit or bring it into a store to exchange.  He said the unit probably has a failing hard drive and not functioning properly.

I asked if my previously recorded programs would be transferred over and he said they would not be able to transfer it to the new unit.  What a disappointing and frustrating experience.  I really wonder if they are swapping out the units to rid themselves of resolving the firmware update problems.

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor

So when it goes into the constant reboot cycle what is happening? Are there numbers counting down on the the screen where the time would be displayed?

I've had this issue before where it keeps constantly going.. That's a dead harddrive.. The harddrive might still work enough to transfer over your recordings.

If you are looking to replace your internal harddrive yourself and clone over the old recordings then check out http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=15719

Otherwise you'd probably need to exchange it sadly losing all your recordings.
RMEBROWN
I've Been Here Awhile

I have the same problem with a Rogers 1TB extender. I just called Rogers, they are aware of the problem is all that they would tell me and that there is no FIX yet.
RMEBROWN
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: PVR Extender recordings no longer accessible !!!

I have the exact same problem. PVR Explorer 8300HD and PVR Extender bought from Rogers.

Since the PVR latest upgrade (Cisco software), all my recordings that were residing on the PVR Extender are not accessible anymore, they are still on the List, but once I try to play them, I just get the "Playback Channel". Recordings resident on the PVR can be played back quite ok.

I've too have done various full reboots of PVR and Extender, but it hasn't fixed the problem.

I called Rogers and they are very much aware of the problem, but did not have a fix for it yet.

Has anyone tried Bell, perhaps it is time to switch???????
bsnmalh
I've Been Around

Re: PVR Extender recordings no longer accessible !!!

I have the same problem as others...    I have been using a WD500GB external SATA drive now for 3 years without issue -  NO longer functioning after Rogers/Cisco latest software update. Have lost all me wonderful programs for the family...  REALLY DISAPPOINTED !!   I replaced my WD drive, eSata cable and even the NexStar box - did NOT work!!  Same issue reappeared again...

I just spoke to Rogers CSR today - they are saying that a new  fix will be going in before end of February to resolve the problem and they also said that all programs on external are unfortunately lost...

Well done Rogers/Cisco - customer satisfaction is job 1!

Sprite
I've Been Around

I bought a WD DVR expander last week. I have the same problem as you have described. I have tried numerous scenarios to bypass the PVR sleep issue. Nothing works. I contacted Rogers on several occasions. I was told that they were working on the problem. They called to tell me it had been fixed. I tried it and of course it does not work. I called back and was told that Rogers does not support and will never support third party PVR extenders. They only support their own Rogers extender which has a Segate drive.

I have decided to cancel my Rogers cable TV and switch to Bell. Instead of spending $250 for the Rogers PVR. I will spend $200 for a BELL PVR with a 2 year contract and use my WD PVR expander with my Bell PVR.