PVR Extenders/Expanders not working

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mko
I Plan to Stick Around

Installing an extender ... Problems

I have wanted to expand the recording capacity on my 8300hd for some time. I had a Fantom esata "greendrive" available (1tb model) so i gave it a try. I followed the installation instruction, and when I restarted the 8300, it gave me the " external storage device works with this DVR" message. However, there does not seem to be more recording space available. Any ideas of what to do? Is this drive non-compatable? Thanks Mike
GrandmaTina
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: (mainly) good news on PVR Extender

Pauly, Mybook is an external harddrive that I have used on Bells pvr to store recordings.  Now we are with Rogers and I have been told I have to buy a pvr extender from Rogers and one store told me it costs $100.  I wonder if I do buy one, will I be able to watch anything I record on it later?

GrandmaTina
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You DO NOT have to buy the rogers one, no.

But you do have to have specific things for it to work on the rogers. 

- It needs to be an external drive which has an ESATA connection

- It SHOULD be a drive designed for this type of storage.  PVR extender drives, even 3rd party ones, usually have drives, etc with specific standards which hold up to the read/write of the PVR possibly better than just a regular hard drive.

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/personal-about/HDPVRextender
Thats the rogers one..  (its a segate one, rogers branded)

3rd party ones are around the same price.

When the box is connected, it will format, and essentially MERGE itself with the internal storage.. making it one big storage drive.
IF the extender is removed.. you wont likely be able to watch ANY recordings, as they are spread across both internal and external drives. 
The box can not be moved to another rogers box, and watched off it, etc. (you can move it.. but it will re-format on that other box).

GrandmaTina
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for you reply.  I do not agree with giving us a place to record what is special to us and then not allow us to watch it whenever we want to.  It should not matter how long we want to save our recordings; it not like we are selling these recordings or anything!

GrandmaTina
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

This is not an agument FOR rogers (or any carrier), backing them up, etc.. i am just trying to explain a little.

I think alot comes down to the legality.. what you ARE paying for.

When you pay for your TV package.. you are paying for the RIGHT to be able to watch, whatever is aired on anything you subscribe to.

If you have a PVR.. you can yes, record it, to watch later.  You have paid for the right, to WATCH that.
But you really have no OWNERSHIP of that content.  You dont OWN it, say comparatively, to a DVD you buy, you now OWN that content.

This is why they never guarantee any recordings, etc.

With the new NB3 and the extender.. bar a physical fairure which you could loose everything.. there is no need to really remove anything.. you wont run out of space any time soon, unless you are recording like 20 hours a day and not watching anythng.  Nothing will be removed from it, unless you delete it, or remove the extender.

IF someone wants to keep that recording, more permininately, they are better to then use one of the methods to record it onto another form of media (VHS, DVD, etc).

(though, TECHNICALLY, you dont own that content still :P)

kf12
I've Been Around

PVR Extender Not Formatting

I purchased an Explorer 8642HD two years ago, and recently tried to purchase the extender but Rogers no longer sells it.  We were told by a sales person at Rogers that we can just purchase an external hard drive, as long as it had Sata/eSata capability.  So we purchased a hard drive and NexStar CX case that has eSata and USB 2.0 Interface.  The pvr recognizes that it is plugged in but it will not format the extender.  I have followed these directions https://www.rogers.com/web/support/tv/pvr/317?setLanguage=en but to no avail.  Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?  Thank you for any help, it is appreciated.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: PVR Extender Not Formatting

Rogers does still carry the extenders.. have been talking to people on another thread abou them just getting them..

Though.. i dont see them on the website..  so perhaps they are looking towards getting a newer one.
You should be able to find them through stores if they still have them in stock.

But you are correct, any esata drive SHOULD work (not all sata drives are the same, so some might preform better than others)

I wonder though if you might be having the same issue that the people in the other thread were having though..

Since the 8642 runs the same software as the 9865.. they might be having the same issues if software related.

A few users, found that if the drive was already formated to something.. that it wasnt picking it up properly.  So if it was NTFS formated, etc.. the NB3 wasnt formating it to the PVR format.
They found, that if you pluged it into a PC, and deleted all partitions on it.. then into the NB3, it seemed then to work.

worth a shot

GrandmaTina
I've Been Here Awhile

All I know is that an employee that answered when I called in to complain about this same issue told me that Rogers doesn't expect us to keep recordings indefinitely, only long enough to watch them=hence the limited amount of room allowed on their PVRs.  Rogers employees in our town St. Thomas, Ontario didn't even know what I was talking about when I asked if they carried their extenders.

GrandmaTina
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Different stores.. have a different mixed bag of employees..

And there are TWO types of stores.. but are hard to tell apart.
There are CORPORATE stores.. and satalite 3rd party ones.  The 3rd party ones, especially often have NO CLUE sometimes.. and often dont carry the full line products, etc.

I know the one near where i live, is useless.  I went in to ask a SIMPLE question.. guy just stared blankly at me for like 10 seconds.  VS the one near where i used to live, i know is a rogers corporate store.. guys there are 10 time better.

You might have to call around.

In some ways, the guy on the phone, is correct.  While PVRs are great to record stuff on to watch later, etc.. they really are designed for a PERMINIANT indefinate storage of things.  Just for delayed watching etc.  We own no rights, etc, to anything stored on the PVR, etc... rogers has no liability if anything is lost off of them, as we have to rights to the content.
(that even goes if we OWN The pvr.. we dont own the content).

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

The Shopping Channel (owned by Rogers) has 1TB extenders for $150.

http://www.theshoppingchannel.com/Rogers/Digital-Cable/Rogers-1-TB-HD-PVR-Extender/pages/productdeta...

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario