PVR Dying every 10 minutes - is this happening to anyone else in North London?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

PVR Dying every 10 minutes - is this happening to anyone else in North London?

Driving us nuts!  Add it to the list of ongoing  'problems' we've had with Rogers over the last months.  Joining this forum is my alternate to waiting a half hour to speak with someone at Rogers...Misery loves company!?

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: PVR Dying every 10 minutes - is this happening to anyone else in North London?

I don't think this is in the right section... But I'll try to help you anyways and maybe it will be moved.

What do you mean by dying? Is it crashing out and rebooting? Is there anything said on screen as an error? Is the clock showing codes or numbers counting? Has it been running loudly? Have you changed anything in your setup, added a splitter, changed wires, changed tv's? Does it happen every 10 min or only when watching or only when viewing Rogers on Demand?
I've Been Around

Re: PVR Dying every 10 minutes - is this happening to anyone else in North London?

I'm having the same thing happen.  I lose hdmi signal randomly about every 10 minutes.

Rogers Employee Jeffrey
Rogers Employee

Hello,

Let's see if we can get this resolved for you.

I am assuming you have a HD PVR? A Grey box. Model SA 8300.

First let's make sure that all the cables are connected tightly on the Television, PVR and the Splitter if one is present. Check all cords and cabling and ensure they are tightly connected.

Second is to look around and see if there are any other electronics nearby the PVR. An example could be a baby monitor, wireless router, cordless telephones & the base they rest/recharge in.  These PVR's can be affected by other sources emitting a high level of radio frequency. 

Third is to ensure that the settings on your Television are set up properly to receive the HDMI signal and at the proper rates/ports. These setting are usually already set up for you.

Fourth is to safely visually inspect any TV cables for damage that may be running along your baseboards, through your basement and maybe even along the outside of your home.  If you discover any damaged portions of the cable please call Rogers for a technician to visit your home and make the repairs.

If none of these steps help then please contact Rogers and let a consultant make the arrangements for a technician to visit your home and resolve the issue. Information to provide the consultant would be the problem you are experiencing, what you have tried to fix on your own & then inform them of particular time of day or channels that it occurs on & how often it occurs.

The telephone number is 1-888-ROGERS1 ;

If you have any follow up questions please reply and I will be more than happy to answer any question.

A personal note: Sometimes it's the weirdest things that fix the problem. I have a personal example, when I turned off my kitchen light using the wall switch, it would make my HD TV screen go blue for 3 seconds... and they aren't even connected! This was caused by an internal electrical wiring error. I had an electrician repair it and issue resolved. The HD Box and signal were perfectly fine the whole time.

Good luck.

Jeffrey

I'm a Senior Advisor

Also can you define what you mean by Dying? Does the screen go blank? Does the box reset? Does everything turn off and not turn back on? Does the box just turn off to the standby state? Does the HDD stop spinning?

When mine died it completely stopped working and would stay on the software loading screen.
Community Manager (Retired) RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)

@Jeffrey @Chris

Thanks for helping out deskentin and setra12 with their PVR issue.

I've Been Here Awhile

My ROGERS cable service has been fine...until today.  Starting at 10:AM, unusual indications started to appear on the PVR (an 8642HD).  The picture was freezing for minutes at a time, then the screen went black.  I tried resetting locally, and on the website... the cable was totally unusable for eleven hours, then it came back...but not consistently.  Occasional freezes, and now we are blacked out again.  There has been no change to any connection, no nearby new device (not that it should ever matter), and no explanation, other than something external to my house has obviously changed (since there has been no change within), and it is "not working".  Please POST A NOTICE ON YOUR WEBSITE to give us some assurance that you know there is a system-wide problem, and someone is working on it. It might save on having people like me rant on this forum, or start checking for alternatives on the internet.

I read scary things about people encountering black screens following a recent update.  Is that one of the repeated updates that always seems to arrive at 2 AM in the morning?? There is no point trying to record something if my PVR is going to spontaneously reboot.  How about flagging an available update, and then allowing me to pick the five minute interval needed to download and reboot the PVR?  if all I have to do is be sure something is recording to postpone the reboot, ten I will record the show I am watching...but PLEASE EXPLAIN OR CONFIRM THAT.  WHY are such frequent updates required?  I work in an IT-related field, and it seems that there is a need for some proper configuration management, but it is all haphazard and chaotic.  I think I am paying for better service than I am getting.

I do NOT appreciate phoning up tech support, only to be told my "signal is weak", and can we send a tech someday to your house to check it out (but it might cost you $50).  IF you already have the means of remotely detecting a "weak signal" why are you not already taking steps to fix the problem???   Or, is your only concern that I continue to pay for a deteriorating and unreliable service?  Again, some fairly obvious questions come to mind as I continue to stare at black screens in my house.  Oh well...spare time to maybe start looking at Fibe as an alternative.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The reason that they are not pro active, and mention the $50 thing.. is probably because 1/3 of the time, the reasons of poor signal is on the USERS end by putting something else in place, and not rogers fault.  Proactive monitoring of THAT many boxes for signal at once, would cost major $$$ which would then be passed onto us 😛

Not saying this is your fault.. it is likey rogers fault.. or something more network end.. adding new houses, etc.  But this does happen sometimes, as more and more people start watching tv, etc.... and as infrastructure gets older (older houses, etc).  Often all i takes is a tech out, they replace a cable, put a booster in if needed.. and its fixed.  Not all the time, but sometimes thats all it is.