Overages getting out of hand!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Overages getting out of hand!

I've been a Rogers customer for many, many years. Right now however I'm at the point of pulling my hair out!

I use the Ericsson rocket hub for Internet on a voice and data plan. With up to 20gb per month.
Switched everything over to this in August. Thought ok this is the way to go!

Got my bill mid September, it was criminal!
Obverse charges of almost 500$.
I immediately called Rogers and was told they were viable charges!
The one day in question 23GB was downloaded and we weren't even here.
The CSR from Rogers said someone had to either be using the Xbox or netflix to incur the charges.

I wasn't home my children weren't home and unless the chihuahua is really talented and did it then something's screwy!

I've been keeping a very close eye on the usage since the!
Although for the past few days I kept getting an error message saying data usage unavailable.
Finally this morning I was allowed to see usage again.
I believe it was Monday it was at 13GB, this morning it's at 32GB.
There's no way that in a couple of days that much data has been used.

Is anyone else experiencing crazy high usage with Rogers?
If so how do you deal with the rude CSR?

***Edited labels***

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Overages getting out of hand!

call in and ask to speak to a supervisor, dont take no for an answer, keep in mind they will be busy with the iphone 5 screwups so it might take a while

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The usage page, often will go down, around your billing cycle day.. so that may be why you couldnt see it then.

As for your usage.. lets just go through a few things, hopefuly to illiminate them.

What all connects to the internet there?  As you say, no one was home.
What devices were there at the home, that could have potentialy connected, even if you were not there.  Obviously if PCs were off, they shouldnt.  But some thing, unless you turn the feature off, will go and check for updates, and update on its own.  Now if somnething got stuck in a loop updating, failing, trying again, etc.. something like that could have happened.

Any other devices... phones? Tablets?  Its been known in the past for sometimes these having a run away process which may keep downloading/running something.. i had that using my celular data on my phone plan.. killed the process.. and it stoped.

And the final thing.. what is your security like on the wireless on the device?  What type of security on your wifi is set up? etc?
It may be possible, someone else is hyjacking your internet.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Yes I too have seen this activity on my rocket hub, the system goes down and I still see crazy amounts of data. I refuse to pay. 

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Just got off the phone after 30(??) minutes and received the worst service. After 10 years and all my services with Rogers I will be switching. Was charged 150 for internet because went over usage even though I had called 2 months earlier to change my level of itnerent and was assured that was the appropriate level for my family. Going over in usage should never cost more than the service you offer??

Kim

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I to was burnt with the rocket hub. Get rid of it. There is a flaw or by design that will us rediculus amounts of data when sitting idle. A refused to pay fo it. I proved that I was out of the country when it happened. I diched it for another internet provider. I think that because it on the cell network it uses the data to roam because the signal for consumers is weaker than business. And I have seen the proof on that. Tow identical roger phones side by side in the same location business phone full signial. Consumer phone half signal. Makes you wonder.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

When I upgraded to MS Office 10, the new outlook did an auto sync of all accounts every 30 minutes. I had 20 GB of data in one account. It was a bug, I think. I have since shut off auto sync, then got rid of MS windows altogether. Maybe that is your problem. BTW no one at MS or rogers would deal with or take responsibility for the problem. It went on for months. I tried another provider but went back to rogers as the best of a bad lot.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well really in the end.. rogers (or any provider) was just doing, what it was asked to do.. transfer the information.
It was the PC software in that case, which was doing it.

As i mentioned above.. while having cloud storage, etc is great...

Three are ALOT of things which can go wrong adding up to alot of extra usage 😞

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

We (a non-profit charity with an Erickson W35) are experiencing the same problem.  Normal usage is about 10GB/month but in January it soared to 70GB which cost us over $600.  We are now trying to find the source of the problem as it is continuing at about the same rate.  One thing in particular we will do tomorrow is the root password change procedure as explained at:

http://www.rogers.com/web/support/internet/rocket-hub/341?setLanguage=en

Hopefully that will solve the problem but any suggestions would be welcomed.  BTW, tech support has been of little help so far.