Outlook for Mac 2011 has suddenly stopped receiving and sending

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Outlook for Mac 2011 has suddenly stopped receiving and sending

Last week I updated Office for Mac 2011 to the latest version - 14.3.6.  Since then I have been unable to send or receive e-mails in Outlook.  I keep getting a message that says "[SYS/TEMP] problem retrieving message" with an error code of 16999.  Browsing through the internet I found other people who had had similar messages and they seem to relate to technical settings at their ISPs.

I have verified that all my (POP) account settings are correct.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to fix this problem.  Thanks

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Outlook for Mac 2011 has suddenly stopped receiving and sending

OK, looked at a few posts on other who were getting this message..

Couple of them mentioned the same thing/solution.. which MAY be whats happening in the case here.

For watever reason.. there is a BAD email.  When it tries to download this email..it errors outlook.
People have blown away outlook, then had it fully download all emails again (when they had settings to KEEP a server copy), and it would get to a point, then error again... at that bad email.

Reccomended course of action..

Log into the webmail.. you should see all your current (and past depending on settings) emails in there.
Now.. which one is BAD.. it not always evident 😞
Best thing.. make a temp folder, and move all your inbox mail there.

Then.. one by one (or in small groups) move them over back into the inbox.... then try outlook downloading them.
See if that works.. should be able to get them all.. execpt until you run into the one which is the problem email.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

OK, looked at a few posts on other who were getting this message..

Couple of them mentioned the same thing/solution.. which MAY be whats happening in the case here.

For watever reason.. there is a BAD email.  When it tries to download this email..it errors outlook.
People have blown away outlook, then had it fully download all emails again (when they had settings to KEEP a server copy), and it would get to a point, then error again... at that bad email.

Reccomended course of action..

Log into the webmail.. you should see all your current (and past depending on settings) emails in there.
Now.. which one is BAD.. it not always evident 😞
Best thing.. make a temp folder, and move all your inbox mail there.

Then.. one by one (or in small groups) move them over back into the inbox.... then try outlook downloading them.
See if that works.. should be able to get them all.. execpt until you run into the one which is the problem email.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

To GDkitty

It worked like a charm.  There was one e-mail that was causing the problem.

Thank you very much for your help.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not a problem 🙂

Seen it here with a few users before.

Now.. why cant rogers techs.. do a little research, and find these same things out.. try them with the user.... HEY! it works.. now lets add it to the OFFICIAL rogers database as a fix, so they can help the next user 😛

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I agree.  Rogers should check these posts and add solutions to their FAQ page(s).

Highlighted
I've Been Around

This was great and easy.  Thanks so much as all the other suggestions I came across would have been very disruptive not to mention a total waste of my time.