cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Other wireless modem?

Tmothy12
I'm a Regular

Does anybody know which bands the non advanced modem supports? With my advanced modem the 5G network can't be found on my devices for some reason.

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Other wireless modem?

The other modem / routers support wireless networks in the 2.4 Ghz range, as does the CGN3. The CGN3 also supports wireless networks in the 5 Ghz range. But don’t confuse that with cellular networks. The fact that your devices can’t see the CGN3 leads me to the following questions:

1. Is the 5 Ghz network running on the CGN3?
  2. Is the CGN3 on the same floor as the devices you are connecting?
  3. Have you looked at the wireless environment where the devices are to determine how many other networks are in the neighborhood and whether or not they might be causing problems.
  4. Are the devices that you are trying to use capable of operating on a 5 Ghz network? That might sound like a silly question, but you really have to know what they are capable of, which might mean having to review the specs. Discussions with others on the forum have in some cases come to conclusions by the originator that they didn’t really know what the device was capable of doing and assumed that it should just work. Sometimes that works, and sometimes it doesn’t.

On the front of the CGN3 you should see the wireless symbols lit if in fact the CGN3 is transmitting / running a 2.4 or 5 Ghz network. Pages 19 to 21 of the user manual explains the symbology used on the front of the CGN3. Page 70 shows the tab for the 5 Ghz wireless network where you enable or disable the network and it shows the network name entry window as well.

Here is the link to the user manual:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/modem.manuals/CGN3_UG_v1.1_2013-08-16.pdf

One thing you have to remember is that the 5 Ghz wireless signal does not have the penetration capability or the range of the 2.4 Ghz signal. As a result, where the CGN3 is located will definitely impact your ability to receive the 5 Ghz wireless signal. Running a network on the 5 Ghz band will get you out of the crowded 2.4 Ghz region, but you still have to keep in mind the limitations of the 5 Ghz networks.

If you don’t already have it loaded, here is the link to the last freebie version of inSSIDer, which will display the networks received by your laptop or other wireless devices. This version is 5Ghz capable so, if the CGN3 network can be received by your laptop, you should be able to see it on the display.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor
Rogers internet modems aren't cellular....as far as I know, Rogers wireless modems operate on wireless N.

Thanks, and oops I meant 5ghz.

The other modem / routers support wireless networks in the 2.4 Ghz range, as does the CGN3. The CGN3 also supports wireless networks in the 5 Ghz range. But don’t confuse that with cellular networks. The fact that your devices can’t see the CGN3 leads me to the following questions:

1. Is the 5 Ghz network running on the CGN3?
  2. Is the CGN3 on the same floor as the devices you are connecting?
  3. Have you looked at the wireless environment where the devices are to determine how many other networks are in the neighborhood and whether or not they might be causing problems.
  4. Are the devices that you are trying to use capable of operating on a 5 Ghz network? That might sound like a silly question, but you really have to know what they are capable of, which might mean having to review the specs. Discussions with others on the forum have in some cases come to conclusions by the originator that they didn’t really know what the device was capable of doing and assumed that it should just work. Sometimes that works, and sometimes it doesn’t.

On the front of the CGN3 you should see the wireless symbols lit if in fact the CGN3 is transmitting / running a 2.4 or 5 Ghz network. Pages 19 to 21 of the user manual explains the symbology used on the front of the CGN3. Page 70 shows the tab for the 5 Ghz wireless network where you enable or disable the network and it shows the network name entry window as well.

Here is the link to the user manual:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/modem.manuals/CGN3_UG_v1.1_2013-08-16.pdf

One thing you have to remember is that the 5 Ghz wireless signal does not have the penetration capability or the range of the 2.4 Ghz signal. As a result, where the CGN3 is located will definitely impact your ability to receive the 5 Ghz wireless signal. Running a network on the 5 Ghz band will get you out of the crowded 2.4 Ghz region, but you still have to keep in mind the limitations of the 5 Ghz networks.

If you don’t already have it loaded, here is the link to the last freebie version of inSSIDer, which will display the networks received by your laptop or other wireless devices. This version is 5Ghz capable so, if the CGN3 network can be received by your laptop, you should be able to see it on the display.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

Thanks, it turns out none of my devices support the 5 Ghz network so I turned it off.

If you look at your 2.4 Ghz environment with inSSIDER you might come to the conclusion that 5 Ghz is the way to get out of the crowd.  In that case you could buy a 5 Ghz wireless USB adapter.

Most of my devices don't support dongles (older smartphones, video game systems etc.) , so I'll have to make do with 2.4ghz  but thanks again.

Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 in conversation