Ongoing "issues" with Rogers Yahoo IMAP and Apple Mail

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Ongoing "issues" with Rogers Yahoo IMAP and Apple Mail

@Gdkitty wrote:

For the moving that email..
Hate to sound like a broken record, but try a different browser..
IE I found tends to have the best results, suprisingly.
(there are some quirks where say auto fill email addresses dont populate the same in chrome, etc)

Using outlook, how are you connecting/collecting the email?
On imap.. i beleive that its an ignored folder..  (wont copy it)

PoP, it should download them all.. but generally downloads them all to the INBOX (just marked spam).
(vs say, like on my iphone.. i beleive it uses ACTIVESYNC style connection.. which does allow to see it)

The bigest thing.. is the spam filter itself.
I have.. probably 5 or so email addresses... some which receive the SAME emails. (same service, but account A with one email and B with another).
Email A will NOT block one particular email as spam... the other will.  But are reversed for another different email.
Its all in how the spam filter 'smarts' are.
I have found many spam filters are now filtering/catching BULK email.. more than X recepients? its 'likely' a mass mail spam.. and block. 
Best thing that can be done... unfortunately needs to be done from the web interface.. where the settings can be set, before it starts to go client side.
When removing from spam for legit emails, always use the "not spam", as it helps it learn that its not spam.

Make sure that any friends, people who email you regularily, etc.. are actually in the address book online, at least their emails.  This can help WHITELIST their emails.

Thank you for the information. 

1. I tried Edge instead of Chrome to log into her Rogers Yahoo web mail.  The email (Joe`s) in the SPAM folder  would still not move to the INBOX folder. 

2. Outlook is used with an IMAP setup to her Rogers email account. The usual:

-Incoming server with imap.mail.yahoo.com  997 and SSL

- Outgoing server with smtp.mail.yahoo.com  465 and SSL  (smtp.broadband.rogers.com had problems)

3. Using NOT SPAM still did not work either.

4. I finally tried moving the email (Joe`s) from the SPAM folder to the TRASH folder. It would disappear but when I checked the TRASH folder again nothing was there. When I went back to the SPAM folder, there it was. 

5. In doing this I noted another email (Jane`s) with the same subject in the TRASH folder. No idea why as my wife said she did not delete it. I moved it to the INBOX folder - no problem.  Then I was able to move the email (Joe`s) to the TRASH folder, then to the INBOX folder. I might have been able to move it directly. 

6. There is something with Apple mail that likes to put the same email (Joe`s and Jane`s) with the same subject in one spot on the iPhone. It seemed like I couldn`t move one without the other.  Bizarre, but everything is now in the INBOX folder.

7. I have not seen any more emails show up in the SPAM folder in the last day.  

I figure this is just another Rogers s|w or server maintenance glitch that happened on 12 May 2016. I suspect Rogers has no interest in what caused it.  Typical!

Thanks again Gdkitty.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Ongoing "issues" with Rogers Yahoo IMAP and Apple Mail

@User14 wrote:

@Gdkitty wrote:

For the moving that email..
Hate to sound like a broken record, but try a different browser..
IE I found tends to have the best results, suprisingly.
(there are some quirks where say auto fill email addresses dont populate the same in chrome, etc)

Using outlook, how are you connecting/collecting the email?
On imap.. i beleive that its an ignored folder..  (wont copy it)

PoP, it should download them all.. but generally downloads them all to the INBOX (just marked spam).
(vs say, like on my iphone.. i beleive it uses ACTIVESYNC style connection.. which does allow to see it)

The bigest thing.. is the spam filter itself.
I have.. probably 5 or so email addresses... some which receive the SAME emails. (same service, but account A with one email and B with another).
Email A will NOT block one particular email as spam... the other will.  But are reversed for another different email.
Its all in how the spam filter 'smarts' are.
I have found many spam filters are now filtering/catching BULK email.. more than X recepients? its 'likely' a mass mail spam.. and block. 
Best thing that can be done... unfortunately needs to be done from the web interface.. where the settings can be set, before it starts to go client side.
When removing from spam for legit emails, always use the "not spam", as it helps it learn that its not spam.

Make sure that any friends, people who email you regularily, etc.. are actually in the address book online, at least their emails.  This can help WHITELIST their emails.

Thank you for the information. 

1. I tried Edge instead of Chrome to log into her Rogers Yahoo web mail.  The email (Joe`s) in the SPAM folder  would still not move to the INBOX folder. 

2. Outlook is used with an IMAP setup to her Rogers email account. The usual:

-Incoming server with imap.mail.yahoo.com  997 and SSL

- Outgoing server with smtp.mail.yahoo.com  465 and SSL  (smtp.broadband.rogers.com had problems)

3. Using NOT SPAM still did not work either.

4. I finally tried moving the email (Joe`s) from the SPAM folder to the TRASH folder. It would disappear but when I checked the TRASH folder again nothing was there. When I went back to the SPAM folder, there it was. 

5. In doing this I noted another email (Jane`s) with the same subject in the TRASH folder. No idea why as my wife said she did not delete it. I moved it to the INBOX folder - no problem.  Then I was able to move the email (Joe`s) to the TRASH folder, then to the INBOX folder. I might have been able to move it directly. 

6. There is something with Apple mail that likes to put the same email (Joe`s and Jane`s) with the same subject in one spot on the iPhone. It seemed like I couldn`t move one without the other.  Bizarre, but everything is now in the INBOX folder.

7. I have not seen any more emails show up in the SPAM folder in the last day.  

I figure this is just another Rogers s|w or server maintenance glitch that happened on 12 May 2016. I suspect Rogers has no interest in what caused it.  Typical!

Thanks again Gdkitty.

Information for the Community.

For those with Rogers IMAP "issues" here is another strange occurrence like the one above. In this scenario, Rogers email is being used and is accessible with IMAP on a PC using MS Outlook App and on an Apple iPhone.

Here is what happened.  Email sent by Joe with subject  BOOKS at 10 am to 4 people.   Jane answers Joe with same subject RE: BOOKS at 2 pm.   My wife reads Jane's reply first on her iPhone around 3 pm.  Joe's orginal email is not visible but Jane"s email shows Joe's original email in the text.  My wife tells me she didn't receive Joe's original email. Where is it she asks me?

I tell her to log on to Rogers Yahoo at the server and look in the SPAM folder. She does and there is Joe's email.

What happened she asks.  I tell her to just highlight it and click NOT SPAM. Nothing happens. I tell her to move it to the INBOX folder. It doesn't move.  I tell her to move it to TRASH.  It moves to the INBOX and Jane's email shows up in TRASH.  Fascinating!

Being curious, I move Jane's email to the INBOX. It moves but now I have 2 emails from Jane and one from Joe with the subject BOOKS. I try to delete one of Jane's emails and I get an error message. I try the other Jane email and it deletes ok. 

There seems to be some algorithm glitch with the Apple software and the Yahoo software.  I don't think Yahoo is seeing  one of the two emails after the Apple sych occurs.  Some code is telling Yahoo that the second email is SPAM. The Apple Software seems puts the two emails in a specific area and the Yahoo Software does not seem to be able to handle this code during the sych.  It seems to put the first email (Joes) in the SPAM folder on the server when someone reads (using IMAP and the iPhone) the second email (Jane's) before the first.  This has happened twice now.   You can't display the SPAM folder with IMAP, so if you are missing emails, log on to your Rogers account on the server and check the SPAM folder.

You can only move it to your INBOX by first moving it to TRASH. You can't move it directly and you can't mark it as NOT SPAM.

There is no point sending this info to Rogers. They will not investigate the cause as there insufficient occurrences.  Hope this helps someone in the forum.