Ongoing "issues" with Rogers Yahoo IMAP and Apple Mail

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Ongoing "issues" with Rogers Yahoo IMAP and Apple Mail

I am having ongoing "issues" (I'm being exceptionally polite) with Rogers Yahoo IMAP and Apple Mail. From what I can tell, reading numerous other forums, the general consensus is that Rogers/Yahoo IMAP just plain and simple doesn't get along with Apple Mail. 

This has come to the forefront for me as I switched from POP to IMAP (thanks for letting me know IMAP was finally available by the way.....). No matter what rules I set up in Mail (Version 6.2) to filter my incoming messages, they seem to be randomly applied or just plain ignored. I recognize Rules can be tricky as they are typically dependent on the Rules preceding them. However, I have even deleted everything and started fresh creating single folders and applying one new Rule at a time etc.

In addition, when I access my Yahoo mail via the web interface actions I perform there are generally NOT reflected in the Mail client on either my phone or my computer.

Furthermore, when I access my mail on the web it seems just about EVERY incoming message is marked as Spam or is it Bulk; why is the same thing called two different things? Why do I have two folders called Drafts, two called Sent, etc. etc. The inconsistencies just go on and on.....

For now I'll just ignore the fact that my password is randomly rejected about 6 times a day over various accounts.

The only thing that does seem to work is creating and deleting folders. Those changes do seem to sync across the Mail client on my phone and computer, and the Web interface.

Anybody have any insight on how to get these two things cooperating? Maybe point me at a proper tutorial on how to set this all up? Maybe it's just me, but this entire thing seems like a bit of a train wreck.

Right now seems like the easiest thing to do is use Gmail..........

***edited labels***

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Ongoing "issues" with Rogers Yahoo IMAP and Apple Mail

it might depend on which imap server your using, there is more than one and if u use the wrong email server u could experience this

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Rules when it comes to IMAP are client based. So it's your local client or if they have a web client that supports generation of rules that is applying them. The fact they're not being applied would be an issue with the client. Maybe they are being applied and the commands aren't being received or sent properly. Hard to say without looking at logs.

From my experience running mail servers, usually the web interface is the most accurate. As far as it not being in sync with your clients, that again usually falls into the issues with the client. Hard to say where the problem is again without looking at logs to ensure the commands are being transmitted.

Having multiples of folders can be a problem with servers and clients not using the same scheme for IMAP folder naming. This is not terribly uncommon unfortunately.

Your password being rejected usually stems from accessing the same account from multiple locations at the same time or within very short order. This is usually fixed by decreasing the frequency at which your clients poll the server. Also the server timing out on authentication can cause this, but this is rare and usually happens when there is a problem on the server.

The easiest solution is just sticking with a single client. That being either the webmail or the desktop. The more clients you have (web, desktop, phone, toaster, etc) the more issues you will have with IMAP. I've tried to use IMAP with my Gmail accounts and really it's just more of a headache than it's worth. Now I just use the web interface and the Gmail app.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

In Apple Mail, go to “Add Account” and “select Add Other Mail Account” entering a full name, email address and password, hold down the Option key. The Create button will change to Continue, allowing one to manually configure the account settings.

Use the following settings:

Incoming Server - imap.mail.yahoo.com
Outgoing Server - smtp.mail.yahoo.com
Incoming Port - 993 (requires SSL)
Outgoing Port - 465 (requires SSL/TLS)
Username: full email address (example: bill@yahoo.com)
Password: the password you login to Yahoo with.
Highlighted
I've Been Around

I *finally* managed to get IMAP mail working properly on my Mac yesterday, thanks to a chat session with Apple support. 

Here's what I had to do. 

1. Remove my current POP account - first deleting it from Internet accounts,  then removing in the Mail program.

2. Add a new account in Mail using your rogers.com email address but ENTERING THE WRONG PASSWORD. This will take you to another screen where you can change the email type from POP to IMAP, enter the correct password for your account, and set the incoming and outgoing server names. The correct incoming name is imap.mail.yahoo.com, and the correct outgoing name is smtp.mail.yahoo.com. 

And presto ... wait a bit depending on how big your mail file is and everything should work properly! Hopefully Apple will change their defaults so this workaround isn't necessary, but until then ... 

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hello @rhedges

Welcome to the Forums and thank you for providing the Community with a workaround Smiley Wink.

RogersSannecia

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Received  iPhone 6plus from my sisters late husband,I screwed up in going and outbound mail servers,I forgot my password 

befor I take iPhone into Apple for them to set it up I need a password.how do I set new password many thanks

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hello @gordgogo

I’d like to help in getting your password reset.  I am going to have someone reach out to you via private message from @CommunityHelps, when you receive it please check our messages via the envelope icon which appears in the top right hand side of your screen when you are logged into the forums.

Thanks!

@RogersCilio

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: rogers.com email going to Rogers Yahoo SPAM folder for no rational reason.

Someone sent an email to both my wife and I yesterday but it ended up in her Rogers SPAM folder on the server. She uses IMAP with her iPhone iPad and PC - Outlook. The only reason she knew she didn't get the emails is that I did and she didn't. Her Rogers email address is clearly and accurately shown on the email.

I don't use Rogers email by the way. Too many glitches like this. I gave up with Rogers and use another service provider. 

First, she can`t display the Rogers SPAM folder on the PC-Outlook Application. She can display other folders like the inbox, outbox, trash, etc. but not the SPAM folder so she has no way of knowing that she did NOT get a email message.

Any solutions to this problem?

Second, I logged on to her mail account through the Rogers Yahoo app and moved the emails from her Rogers SPAM folder to her inbox. I noted two other emails she should have received, but didn't. I moved the second one, but the third one just doesn't want to move. I have tried drag and drop, MOVE, and clicking on NOT SPAM but it stays in the SPAM folder. 

Any solutions to this problem?

These problems only seem to have surfaced recently as I didn't see other regular emails in her SPAM folder that should have gone to her inbox.  Perhaps there was some Rogers Yahoo server maintenance being done yesterday? 

I'll have to keep monitoring her SPAM folder for the next few days to see if any other email end up there. 

If you are wondering why I am posting to the community rather than Tech Support, I just find dealing with them too frustrating. The REs are much better at solving these kinds of problems.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

For the moving that email..
Hate to sound like a broken record, but try a different browser..
IE I found tends to have the best results, suprisingly.
(there are some quirks where say auto fill email addresses dont populate the same in chrome, etc)

Using outlook, how are you connecting/collecting the email?
On imap.. i beleive that its an ignored folder..  (wont copy it)

PoP, it should download them all.. but generally downloads them all to the INBOX (just marked spam).
(vs say, like on my iphone.. i beleive it uses ACTIVESYNC style connection.. which does allow to see it)

The bigest thing.. is the spam filter itself.
I have.. probably 5 or so email addresses... some which receive the SAME emails. (same service, but account A with one email and B with another).
Email A will NOT block one particular email as spam... the other will.  But are reversed for another different email.
Its all in how the spam filter 'smarts' are.
I have found many spam filters are now filtering/catching BULK email.. more than X recepients? its 'likely' a mass mail spam.. and block. 
Best thing that can be done... unfortunately needs to be done from the web interface.. where the settings can be set, before it starts to go client side.
When removing from spam for legit emails, always use the "not spam", as it helps it learn that its not spam.

Make sure that any friends, people who email you regularily, etc.. are actually in the address book online, at least their emails.  This can help WHITELIST their emails.