One Remote - Sony TV + NB3.0

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

One Remote - Sony TV + NB3.0

Hi guys,

I'm going nuts. I need to use the Rogers NB3.0 to switch to the guide, check info and what not, and then the Sony TV (KDL50W790B) has the volume and Netflix dedicated button and other things. A few of this remote, and a few of that..

What do I do? I'm going nuts!

Please help

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: One Remote - Sony TV + NB3.0

Have you tried programming the rogers remote to work with your TV, as per the instructions on the back of the remote?

(alternatively, try HERE http://www.urcsupport.com/html.php?page_id=518 and you can try entering in your TV model number.. it may find the right or close enough codes for it)

If this works, then the rogers remote, when you hit power, will turn the rogers box and the tv on/off. 
Channel changes, guide, etc are changes on the rogers box, but volume will change the TV.

Now.. either method doesnt work.. may be that the TV is too new.. or the remote just doenst have a code for it.

Unfortunately, then the only real ONE REMOTE solution at that point is something like Lurker said.. the Harmoney universial.. where you can program in ALL devices to it.

View solution in original post

All Replies
I'm a Senior Advisor

Your best bet is a Harmony remote from Logitech, especially if you need special buttons like for Netflix.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Have you tried programming the rogers remote to work with your TV, as per the instructions on the back of the remote?

(alternatively, try HERE http://www.urcsupport.com/html.php?page_id=518 and you can try entering in your TV model number.. it may find the right or close enough codes for it)

If this works, then the rogers remote, when you hit power, will turn the rogers box and the tv on/off. 
Channel changes, guide, etc are changes on the rogers box, but volume will change the TV.

Now.. either method doesnt work.. may be that the TV is too new.. or the remote just doenst have a code for it.

Unfortunately, then the only real ONE REMOTE solution at that point is something like Lurker said.. the Harmoney universial.. where you can program in ALL devices to it.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for this advice and the pointer to the link. It worked and now the Rogers remote controls the TV as I hoped for.

The only thing though, the Sony remote had a dedicated Netflix button. Think I can find a button or a combo on the Rogers remote to open Netflix the same way?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There are sometimes SOME ways of specficially programming a button to do something else.. but
A ) you loose the reugular usage of that button
B ) That the remote CONTAINS the code for doing what it needs.

Unfortunately, this is a case where for netflix.. you would need to then use the TV remote 😞

(or again, with a 3rd party, where you can do ALL)

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

I have a Samsung Smart TV and just use both remotes. Unless you go the Harmony route, there's no way to get one remote to do absolutely everything. The Samsung remote even has the capability of controlling the STB, but I found it very lacking and the Rogers remote is much more ergonomic. Half the time I pick up my Samsung remote, it's pointed backwards.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario