cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On Demand and various channels not working.......

slb260
I Plan to Stick Around

So, for a couple of days now, my On Demand feature, and various other channels are not working.  On Demand - nothing shows up.  Just a blank screen.  And for the channels that won't work, it says it is authorizing, and then says the channel is not currently available.  We have synced things, rebooted the box, and unplugged it and plugged it back in.  Nothing.  Any ideas on what I should do next?

***Edited Labels***

23 REPLIES 23

Re: On Demand and various channels not working.......

Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor

This is usually a signal issue.

Try the simple things first....tighten your coax connections at every visible point....back of the box, at the wall, at any visible splitters you might have.

And if  that has no effect, call tech support, indicate to the CSR that you are having problems with some of the channels and ask the CSR to run a signal check on the cable box.  Assuming that you have Rogers internet as well, if you log into your modem, and navigate to the STATUS.... DOCSIS WAN page, your downstream signal levels should be around 0 dBmV.  If yours are really low, below -10 dBmV for example, then you definitely have signal issues, and it will be time to have a tech inspect / replace the external cable and or connectors, which is pretty common as they don't last forever.

slb260
I Plan to Stick Around
Can it be a signal issue, even if I'm still able to watch some channels, but not others?

Hello @slb260,

It can certainly be a signal issue. I'd have to run a signal test on your lines first and then we can proceed with further troubleshooting as needed. Addressing the issue you’ve described involves accessing your account. I’m going to send you a private message from @CommunityHelps, when you receive it please check our messages via the envelope icon which appears in the top right hand side of your screen when you are logged into the forums.

Thanks @Datalink and @Lurker for jumping in to assist :). 

RogersHassam 

Easiest way to eplain it..

Is that there is signal on the line.. but its not pushing you whatever channel when you ask for it.
It is actually pushing ALL channels at the same time.
How they do this.. is the line uses a wide range of frequecies..  I forget the exact values, but but for examples sake lets say 100mhz to 2000mhz.

Generally the power and the signal may be ok across most of that frequency.  But there could be say only an issue at one side of it.. 100-300mhz.   That would only effect the channels, etc that fall into THAT range

FrankieMilo
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi,  for the past few days when I access ondemand I get the message "check back periodically for programing"  I have reset box twice and still same message???

Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor

its most likely a signal or communication issue.  contact rogers to have them remotely check your connection, and they can also rauthorize the box.

FrankieMilo
I've Been Here Awhile
Thanks I'll give that a try.

Hi @FrankieMilo,

Welcome to the Community Forums! 

I can help you here. Addressing the issue you’ve described involves accessing your account. I’m going to send you a private message from @CommunityHelps, when you receive it please check our messages via the envelope icon which appears in the top right hand side of your screen when you are logged into the forums.

Thanks,

RogersHassam 

Just as the title says. 

Last week a bunch of my kids channels (treehouse, family junior ect) showed at "the service is currently not available. Please try again later". At the same time On Demand was down. 

When I contacted Rogers about it and requested credit for down time I was offered a free on demand movie (challenging my Nextbox further sounds like a fantastic idea!) since it's Rogers position that On Demand is a free feature provided to its customers (they had no comment on the down channels).

This seems absurd to me.  If On Demand is free, then it is because it is inculded in the price of the Nextbox. So if On Demand is not working, then the Nextbox isnt working. So the Credit should be for BOTH of my Nextboxes since neither is working properly. 

Plus of course the upgrade from Basic to my package since I am not getting the channels I am paying for!

I am dumbfounded by this. How do you proceed when this happens? 

Usually when there is an issue like this... when RoD is not working, nor specific channels, its usually a SIGNAL issue.
(while it can be a back end issue, usually then would be more widespread)

This is not saying you have done anything to cause it, but just over time splitters, connectors, etc can fail.

The first thing the person on the phone should have done, was check signal levels, see if they can communicate with the box.
Beyond that, a tech visit should be then scheduled.. so they can come out and swap splitters, check signal levels at different spots and see where the issue is comming from.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

bslipiec wrote:

If On Demand is free, then it is because it is inculded in the price of the Nextbox. So if On Demand is not working, then the Nextbox isnt working. So the Credit should be for BOTH of my Nextboxes since neither is working properly. 

Plus of course the upgrade from Basic to my package since I am not getting the channels I am paying for!

I am dumbfounded by this. How do you proceed when this happens? 

Nope, RoD is actually a trick to lure you into paying $6 plus tax to watch a movie when you can watch 100 movies a month on Netflix for just twice that. It's available on any Rogers box with a remote, whether owned or rented. The free stuff is just a bonus.  While @Gdkitty said it could be a signal issue, I've seen other reports of RoD being out.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

I do remmber seeing on Twitter that there was an outage a few days ago.. nothing more recent.

BUT, that they are having channel issues as well, makes me lean more towards it being signal overall.

RoD is all what people need/want to use it for.
There is MUCH TV on there which costs nothing.
There are many movies on there, which cost nothing.

Most movies which cost $ on there.. are NEWER.  So they generally are not ones you are able to watch on Netflix.
Really comes down to what you want to watch.  If you want to watch that newer movie, you likely are going to have to pay for it.

(with the invention on netflix, etc.. i understand that people are used to seeing MUCH content for little $.  But people seem to freak out over a $5+ rental.   Go back 5+ years (or less?) and people had NO issues at all paying that to rent a movie from blockbuster, etc)

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

True. But today with smart tvs, android boxes and torrents, it's easy to find new movies without renting them.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

jays77
I'm a Trusted Contributor
I think the point is that for those who want to use ROD it has had issues lately.

I have had no problems with it, that is until last night. Last night when I tried to use it to watch a TV show I had missed it promptly caused my box to reboot. Not wishing to waste any more time with it I moved on and will try again tonight.

It really doesn't matter what other service are available, i.e. Netflix or others it doesn't solve the problem people are having with ROD.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

OLDYELLR wrote:

True. But today with smart tvs, android boxes and torrents, it's easy to find new movies without renting them.

Yes, but any of those methods, are TECHNICALLY not LEGAL to view them.
If people dont pay for the content.. if even the small amount from via netflix's portion going back to the content owner... guess what? Content will disapear, since there will be no money coming in to make more..

I personally pay for content, when i like what the content may be, and i want to support them making more of it.
I still buy most of my favorites on bluray, etc.

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

I have been having issues with ondemand, shomi various shows and channels on each with an undefined message coming up.  I reported this elsewhere, but saw it here too.

Signals have all been checked and are fine, reboots, reauthorization, check cables, all the usual tech support suggestions all done, no change, and a lot of pixalation on some of the shows at time.

No splitters in my house at all, except for the ones on the rogers side of things at the termination point outside, and the green cylinder at the end of the yard at the street.  All were replaced earlier this year and all cabling to my house, and from nodes in our neighbourhood have cable connections and splitters replaced as they were having area problems, so they did the whole neighboughood.  

Support doesn't believe it is on the box level as everything there looks fine, so he figures it is at Rogers head ends, and since others are having similiar, I would suspect he is right.

Will update.

Bruce

edT2
I've Been Around

When I go to channel 100 to watch on-demand, I have the message "undefined" in the left bottom part of the screen with nothing but grey showing at the top.   Can't even view saved videos.  Rebooted my Nexbox 3.0, and same state.  Any idea what the issue may be?  

Before I rebooted I was getting can not access server messages, and I rebooted. All other aspects of the box work. 

slb260
I Plan to Stick Around

We had this happen too.  A tech came to our house, fooled around things for a while, and then just replaced the box.

Same issue here with both shomi and the movie network on demand. freezes and crashes, signal is great, was told 4 times in the last two weeks that its with the engineering department. know issue so i was told. 

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats
  • 23 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 13 in conversation