Older Rogers Express customer (60G) thinking of upgrading to Extreme

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Older Rogers Express customer (60G) thinking of upgrading to Extreme

Good day,

I have had really good luck with my modem (60G) that I've had from Rogers for at least 4 years.  I don't think it's ever been down, maybe 2-3 times over the entire 4 years i've had it.

Now I'm looking at upgrading to extreme.  Rogers said they will give me the modem.

Any issues with the modem or service? I could really use the extra bandwidth! Smiley Happy

Thanks!

***edited labels***

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Older Rogers Express customer (60G) thinking of upgrading to Extreme

Yes and no.

The new gateways... as in that form/usage.. of being a gateway (is a modem + wireless router, etc).. are GARBAGE.

You would want to put your modem into BRIDGED mode, effectively turning it just into a modem, and connect a 3rd party router to it, as you likely did before.

In this setting, they seem to be pretty good.  Mine hasnt had any issues in almost 2 years.

One thing to consider as well, if you DONT need the extra speed from the extreeme package, consider keeping express (which i am guessing you are on?) and adding the unlimited.

Still requires the new modem.
Its $10 more if you have cable + home phone, +$30 if you dont.   BUt having unlmited, is nice knowing you NEVER have to worry about overages.

I Plan to Stick Around

GDkitty - thanks!!

I think i'm going to go with extreme - as the speed and the 120G are more than I'll need. I also don't have home phone through Rogers...

So if i go with extreme - do I not take their modem? confused....

Thanks for walking me through this...
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unfortunately, to GET the 120g with the extreeme package.. you NEED to get the new modem Smiley Sad  They are unable to assign the plan code, to the older modems.
You would get the OLD extreeme plan code.. which was less usage.

(Yes, i know usage has nothing to do with a modem really in the end.. this is just how rogers is doing it).

So YES, take the plan and modem (specialy if they are giving it for free, no rental, etc) if you want to..
Just make sure, that you DONT try to use it in its 'default' config of being a gateway, and use its wireless, etc.  Make sure to use it in bridged mode.

If you need help at that point, on how to set it up in bridged mode, etc.. come back and we can try to give you a hand.  As well, you can call into rogers, and they can set it into bridged mode for you.. then your part would just be the connecting your own router, etc on your own.

I Plan to Stick Around

sounds good - will order it, and before i take it out of the box, will come back here...

cheers...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sounds good Smiley Happy

Make sure, JUST to inquire as well (if it makes a difference to you), just to be sure.. if there is any  contract, etc tied with this.

sometimes to get a deal, there is a even short 1yr contract tied to it.  but if you are not planing on changing in that time frame, could be worth it based on savings, etc.

I Plan to Stick Around

Here's the update...got the new modem today...looks great.  Put it into bridged mode.  Using my existing linksys wiresless router with it.

When I'm plugged directly into my modem, I'm getting 50+ mbps.  However, when I'm plugged into the linksys router through the modem, I'm getting 25mbps...is this normal?

My wireless connection is just brutal.

Why don't I just use it in non-bridged mode, and the internal wireless router?  Will that not save the extra step of going to the additional router??

What am I missing here?  Thanks in advance!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

25 wired or wireless through the linksys?

You can try using the built in wireless, but many have issues with it dropping the wireless or the connection altogether.

I Plan to Stick Around

25 through the linksys...

how do I do a hard reset on the docsys to remove bridged mode and try the wireless router included with it?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

SHOULD be, press the reset button, for 10 seconds or longer, then release, then allow it to reboot.

Worse case you could call in, and the can un-bridge it.