Official Rogers Update: Wireless software update for UMA connectivity for BlackBerry 9300 & 9700 now available

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager (Retired) RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)

Official Rogers Update: Wireless software update for UMA connectivity for BlackBerry 9300 & 9700 now available

BlackBerry 9700 and 9300 Software Upgrade Instruction

Beginning Oct. 8, 2010, BlackBerry 9300 and BlackBerry 9700 customers will receive a text message advising they can update their smartphones with new certified software. The software update is free.

The update will give customers unlicensed mobile access (UMA) connectivity, allowing for voice over Wi-Fi calling (formerly Talkspot). Note that you require a Wi-Fi calling plan to access the service. To enable Wi-Fi calling, talk to a Rogers a representative.

There are three ways a software upgrade can be performed depending on the type of BlackBerry customer you are.

Option 1 – BIS Customers:

• BlackBerry 9300 and BlackBerry 9700 customers with a BIS data plan will receive a “Wireless Upgrade” icon on their main screen, in the first position of their applications/icons. 
  • Customers can click on this icon to download and install the new software.

Option 2 – BIS Customers:

• On the BlackBerry - select Menu > Options > Advanced Options > Wireless Update.
  • If an update is available, the download and installation can be completed over-the-air

Options 3 - BIS Lite and BIS Social Customers:

BES Customers should contact their account administrator.

Note: The upgrade will take up to an hour to complete. We recommend customers perform the upgrade when they are not using their device.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Official Rogers Update: Wireless software update for UMA connectivity for BlackBerry 9300 &

I use WIFI in the office now. This sounds different.  What is the benefit of UMA? Voice over WIFI save charges in some way?

Steve.

Retired Moderator RogersJean
Retired Moderator

Re: Official Rogers Update: Wireless software update for UMA connectivity for BlackBerry 9300 &

Hi bubbab,

UMA allows making calls over Wifi. When enabled you will see a little UMA icon at the top of your device.

Given you have a UMA enabled plan, the benefits of UMA are that these calls do not use your minutes and that, as long as there is wifi, you can essentially get service in an area where it would otherwise be impossible.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks. I assume that this is not a savings in long distance?

Retired Moderator

There are no savings long distance wise unless you have a Canada wide talkspot plan. There are no international talkspot plans I am aware of.

I've Been Around

There are indeed savings to be realised from the WiFi talkspot;

The system has no idea 'where' your are and if you are roaming, but connected via WiFi you can make calls as though you were in your home area.

Picture sitting in the airport is Sydney, Australia and calling home, friends and the office for free because there is free WiFi!!

Retired Moderator

Hi bramfrank,

UMA on our devices is currently only supported within Canada. If connecting to a WiFi out of country the UMA icon will not appear.

I've Been Around

So how come when I check the listed specifications for wifi calling on many Blackberry models they say that wifi calling "no".

I think the site needs updating if you support wifi calling as a feature on Blackberry phones.