Official Rogers Update: Samsung Galaxy S Android 2.2 OS Upgrade

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Official Rogers Update: Samsung Galaxy S Android 2.2 OS Upgrade

How does one get a Kies Version that supports Capitvate? Going to Samsung.com the only version is 2.0 and that says my device isn't supported. Samsung.ca directs you to samsungapps.com where you can only get 2.0 . .  Why doesnt rogers have the software that works on their site in one place to make this a fairly simple opperation.

Thanks for your time.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Franklopez: Here is a link from samsung's site: it is the latest version of 1.5.

http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/mobile/mobile-phones/all-phones/SGH-I896ZKARWC/index.idx?pagetype...

Hope that helps!

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

So I went to the site mentioned in the original post and there are instructions there but theimmortal mentioned that they took the update down.  So since I see the instructions there now is this a new version that will work?  I don't want to waste my time trying to upgrade or brick my phone, heh.  Has anyone been able to update using the instructions at that site?

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

The thunderbird crash is probably related to Kies not supporting 64-bit Windows. I installed it on my 32 bit Vista and upgraded fine. Does anyone know if 2.2.1 will be released to us soon? I'm having issues and am reading 2.2.1 fixes a lot of bugs.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Official Rogers Update: Samsung Galaxy S Android 2.2 OS Upgrade (It worked!)I

I have a Galaxy S Captivate I-896, I was running the ver 2.1 Android that came with the phone when I picked it up from the local Rogers store Feb 5/11.  It took 8 hrs of trial & error over two weeks to finally get it to update tonight.  I have Win7 64bit Home Premium.  When the procedure works it should only take you 15 min.  The "Android Upgrade 2.2" works from the Rogers website under the Galaxy S phone support page.... http://pages.samsung.com/ca/froyo/English/  The first step is your Kies 2.0.0.11014_49 must see the phone under File menu, and as such must "mount" (be visible) on your windows explorer as a device.  If not the kies 2.0 when installed will give you drivers, trust me.  Second step is a full battery, apparently the download to the phone is done by battery even though the micro usb cable is used.  Yes I used the official Samsung usb cable that came with the phone.  Then I followed the link above "Android Upgrade..."  Step 11 is tricky "Download Mode.  It should say hold volume key AND at the SAMETIME plug in the cable, not two events one event together.  Once your phone shows the Android digger man you are off to the races IF you get the blue progress bar also...this part only takes 5min.  You will notice the phone restart on its own and new "S" colors and new apps, shortcuts are gone, but big deal.  I can now run Skype of the phone which required 2.2 Upgrade.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Official Rogers Update: Samsung Galaxy S Android 2.2 OS Upgrade (It worked!)I

One more thing.  After the Kies update I noticied only once did the phone ask me if I wanted to 'mount' the hard drive or connect  or something, can't remember.  Otherwise you will see two removeable hard drives on your computer, but they won't open, they are just like a ghost....so you need to say yes.  This was a different menu than the std 3 choice menu 1. firmware update 2. media player 3. data storage.  So I think the ultimate fix was to have no other USB device connected, not even a wireless mouse and I used the top rh usb port, samsung usb micro cable for what it is worth.  I have now had the 2.2. upgrade for over 4 days and life is good. Remember I used Win7 64-bit Home Premium.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

anybody who was able to do a recent update to 2.2?

i tried to do the update through kies but my phone is not recognized by the stupid program. I installed kies on 2 computers but I only have win 7 x64 versions. Anybody was able to make it work with win 7 x64?

It doesn't seem to find and be able to install the MTP usb driver.

Please help, it drives me crazy! 

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Read my last two posts on Win 7 64bit.