Official Rogers Update: Samsung Galaxy S Android 2.2 OS Upgrade

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Official Rogers Update: Samsung Galaxy S Android 2.2 OS Upgrade

Clock work. No hitch at all. Running Windows 7. Downloaded the Kies 1.5 from Samsung.ca site not the .com noted here. the .ca site was directed by Samsung tech support.  I had called them first based on some install problems noted here.

Installed, followed all the prompts. Im now Froyo 2.2...................Sweet.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I have installed and uninstalled kies in 3 computers - 2 are win7, and one was xp - still doesnt work

and yes - 1.5.3 - keep getting errors!

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I followed the instructions and it worked for one (after the thunderbird crash .dll workaround).  My wife's I bought at Future shop and it worked.  I pre-ordered mine and it the Kies software doesn't recognise the device.  The "Connecting the device.. please wait with the the blue alternating progress line stays on for hours and doesn't ever recognise it.  How can they be different and how can I fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

(Assuming you have Kies installed on your Win7 computer)

This is what worked for me:

1) Make sure nothing other than windows is running on your computer.

2) Plug your Captivate into your USB port and select Kies on your phone when prompted.

3) Right click on your Kies icon on your desktop and select "Run as Admin"

4) Kies should load, as well as several error windows.  Disregard the errors and just leave them on the desktop.  This should not have any impact on Kies itself.

5) When Kies is loaded it should detect your phone in the upper right corner.

6) On the bottom of the Kies window it should give you the option to upgrade firmware to phone.

7) Select upgrade and follow instructions as prompted...

That should do it...  I hope!

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Just spoke with Samsung and they told me to wait a week or two for an updated version of 2.2.  He said there have been problems with the current version so they are fixing it and to not download it yet.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Looks like they took it down from their site so I guess it's probably better to wait.

T

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I have also undergone this attempt to get my Galaxy S to 2.2, I have only had it 2 months and found 4-5 apps I can't run until on 2.2 and major annoyed by other BUGS like GPS not working at all..

In any case, I am as my username gets NOT HAPPY..  As I am a IT professional and manage 300+ servers  I know what I am doing...  And this update still F$%^ed up on me..

I even suspected trouble and was being extra carefull..

1) Loaded my KIES application on my Win7x64 (in essentially newly installed state..)

2) KIES was 1.6something.. and figured i'd poke about in the menu and find "check update" which told me no update running current..

3) KIES finds applicable firmware updated, charge my battery fully to make it happy and set it a whirr..   Gets nearly through the procedure and then "Failed to Convert to Update Mode" error..  Now the device does not connect to USB and just shows "MTP Device" when connected..  I am already steaming as I know when $hit like this is not clockwork it usually is a HUGE WASTE OF MY TIME..

4) Now when I restart KIES it indicates the device Firmware update failed, and to attempt to retry..  But it can't detect the device so no go..

4) Why now do I find KIES 2.1.whatevertheF#$% on samsung site.. so ok I'll download that and hopefully some joy..  Downloaded Installed after indicating to unistall previous... PRAYING after install I connect device and....

5) "This Device will be supported soon" error..  Game over  Kies 2.1.whatevertheF#$^% won't talk to my phone at all...

ROGERS this user is attached to my account so feel free to call me tomorrow and tell me how to fix this...

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I had no hassle at all updating.  The diconnecting and putting into download mode mid update is a pain but other than that it was fine.  I followed these instructions.  http://mobilesyrup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5486

After doing this update and putting on ADW Launcher it is like a brand new phone.  So fast. I was questioning my decision buying this phone after having it for a couple of months with 2.1, but now with Froyo its a whole new ball game.  I am so happy with it.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I agree, Kies is horrible. I was having the same problem (and went in circles) as you until I did the following steps and it worked immediately:

1. You must use a PC since Kies does not work on the Mac. Disconnect the phone from your PC.

2. Select the Keis menu on the top left, and select "Driver Recovery". It will take a few minutes to recover the drivers for your Captivate.

3. Next, connect the usb cable to the PC and select the Usb mode as "Mass Storage" on the Captivate.

4. Kies should now show the device correctly. Once it detects it, select "Firmware Upgrade" and follow the instructions.

Trust me, this took me a very long time to figure out, but once i did, the update went fine.

Let me know if this works for you.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

You're right, Kies DOES NOT support Macs at all. I have a mac, but luckily also have a PC running Win7. Even then, i had a lot of trouble, but finally figured it out through "Driver Recovery' in the Kies menu.