Official Rogers Update: Samsung Galaxy S Android 2.2 OS Upgrade

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Official Rogers Update: Samsung Galaxy S Android 2.2 OS Upgrade

I'm getting the same thing as kaj. The phone shows as connected, but Kies just sits at "Connecting to device...".

I'm running Vista 23-bit. I did run Kies as Administrator. I've reinstalled the drivers, and plugged my USB cable directly into the back of my desktop as previously suggested. I've switched my launcher back to TouchWiz. (I was using LauncherPro before.) Not sure what else to do. I'm almost at the point where I'd do a full wipe if I can get froyo.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

There are dozens, maybe hundreds, mabe thousands of people having the "MSC.Thunder.FirmwareUpdate has stopped working" problem.  See Howard Forums, XDA-Developers, the Samsung Canada page on Facebook, and dozens more threads on this subject in other places.

Many people have reported spending hours on the phone with Rogers tech support without finding a solution.

Fortunately, a member of the commuity has found a workaround: see http://forums.redflagdeals.com/official-samsung-captivate-galaxy-s-coming-rogers-922536/195/#post122...

It's quite appalling though that the we in the user community have to figure this out for ourselves.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Wolfgar

One thing I do know is I'll never buy another Samsung phone again. Not after this fiasco. I'm also getting a MTP driver failed message. You?

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

@kaj

I'm not getting any error message. Just the phone saying "Connected", and Kies saying "Connecting to device'. Nothing I've tried so far worked. I tried wiping the internal SD card, tried connecting it while in Download mode (hold the volume up & down buttons then plug the USB in), I've rebooted both the phone and PC several times. I uninstalled Kies using and uninstaller to completely clean up the left over stuff after uninstalling, and reinstalled. Nothing works.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

After all this I'm hoping Rogers issues an OTA update to help those in need and also those who upgraded to the earlier version. Just throwing another question out there for the people using a Mac. I have a friend with a Captivate who claims Samsung Kies dosen't even exist for Mac computers. Google seems to confirm this. Anybody out there who has successfully updated their Captivate from 2.1 to 2.2 using a Mac and the Rogers release of this OS? Otherwise everybody who owns a Mac is out of luck.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I upgraded my Captivate last night and everything is good. The browser now does flash and Skype works well. I used an XP system.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

How can it not be supported? It was released by the manufacturer of the phone.  I bought my phone from rogers->in its box it said download kies->i plug my phone into kies and it tells me to update.  I follow the instructions given to me by rogers.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I updated last night , the only prob I had is that I had to use a XP machine, it wouldnt go on my vista machine, if I didnt have an xp machine I prob would be upset, it should work on all operating systems.

anyways, i followed the simple directions and it updated without any problems. I suggest that after the update, go to the market, update all of your apps, tehn shut down the phone and remove the battery and boot it up again, it needs to have a few start ups to finish updating/placing code. 2-3 reboots and my phone is now like a rocket and zero issues.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I want an honest answer from Rogers: have you tried the update instructions or just copied it from AT&T or some stock Samsung library??? Yes or No. If Yes then why the web is littered with angry users' postings of failed attempts at bringing their Captivate to the Froyo platform?

Rogers and Samsung should be very very ashamed of themselves. This upgrade is a giant fiasco. I have a masters degree in computer science and wasted the better part of the day trying to upgrade that should have been a 10 minute job. Every possible error, roadblock, and incompatibility came up.

I am unwilling to spend more of my time on this. I want to show up at a Rogers store and watch someone do the upgrade for me.

This was my last Samsung device ever and this was my last Rogers device too.

SHAME ON YOU!!!

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

lmoa, if you cant update a cell phone and you have a masters degree in computer science then you should get a new carreer lol it isnt that hard if you read the directions and look through these forums for 5 mintues.