Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Official Rogers Update: Samsung Galaxy S Android 2.2 OS Upgrade

RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

@Cormer

Hi everyone,

The Android 2.2 OS update for the Samsung Galaxy S Captivate is now available for download through Samsung’s website at:  http://www.samsung.com/androidupgrade. Be sure to select the one marked “Samsung S Captivate” from the list.

Note that anyone looking to upgrade must have Kies 1.5 installed in order to run the upgrade.

Contacts should be backed up as part of the upgrade, but we recommend backing up and restoring your own data as the update can erase personal data.

***edited labels***

47 REPLIES 47

Re: Official Rogers Update: Samsung Galaxy S Android 2.2 OS Upgrade

rreiner
I've Been Here Awhile

There are dozens, maybe hundreds, mabe thousands of people having the "MSC.Thunder.FirmwareUpdate has stopped working" problem.  See Howard Forums, XDA-Developers, the Samsung Canada page on Facebook, and dozens more threads on this subject in other places.

Many people have reported spending hours on the phone with Rogers tech support without finding a solution.

Fortunately, a member of the commuity has found a workaround: see http://forums.redflagdeals.com/official-samsung-captivate-galaxy-s-coming-rogers-922536/195/#post122...

It's quite appalling though that the we in the user community have to figure this out for ourselves.

kaj
I Plan to Stick Around

@Wolfgar

One thing I do know is I'll never buy another Samsung phone again. Not after this fiasco. I'm also getting a MTP driver failed message. You?

Wolfgar
I've Been Here Awhile

@kaj

I'm not getting any error message. Just the phone saying "Connected", and Kies saying "Connecting to device'. Nothing I've tried so far worked. I tried wiping the internal SD card, tried connecting it while in Download mode (hold the volume up & down buttons then plug the USB in), I've rebooted both the phone and PC several times. I uninstalled Kies using and uninstaller to completely clean up the left over stuff after uninstalling, and reinstalled. Nothing works.

kaj
I Plan to Stick Around

After all this I'm hoping Rogers issues an OTA update to help those in need and also those who upgraded to the earlier version. Just throwing another question out there for the people using a Mac. I have a friend with a Captivate who claims Samsung Kies dosen't even exist for Mac computers. Google seems to confirm this. Anybody out there who has successfully updated their Captivate from 2.1 to 2.2 using a Mac and the Rogers release of this OS? Otherwise everybody who owns a Mac is out of luck.

PeterR
I've Been Here Awhile

I upgraded my Captivate last night and everything is good. The browser now does flash and Skype works well. I used an XP system.

shust82
I Plan to Stick Around

How can it not be supported? It was released by the manufacturer of the phone.  I bought my phone from rogers->in its box it said download kies->i plug my phone into kies and it tells me to update.  I follow the instructions given to me by rogers.

wpgsteve
I Plan to Stick Around

I updated last night , the only prob I had is that I had to use a XP machine, it wouldnt go on my vista machine, if I didnt have an xp machine I prob would be upset, it should work on all operating systems.

anyways, i followed the simple directions and it updated without any problems. I suggest that after the update, go to the market, update all of your apps, tehn shut down the phone and remove the battery and boot it up again, it needs to have a few start ups to finish updating/placing code. 2-3 reboots and my phone is now like a rocket and zero issues.

nanimezei
I've Been Around

I want an honest answer from Rogers: have you tried the update instructions or just copied it from AT&T or some stock Samsung library??? Yes or No. If Yes then why the web is littered with angry users' postings of failed attempts at bringing their Captivate to the Froyo platform?

Rogers and Samsung should be very very ashamed of themselves. This upgrade is a giant fiasco. I have a masters degree in computer science and wasted the better part of the day trying to upgrade that should have been a 10 minute job. Every possible error, roadblock, and incompatibility came up.

I am unwilling to spend more of my time on this. I want to show up at a Rogers store and watch someone do the upgrade for me.

This was my last Samsung device ever and this was my last Rogers device too.

SHAME ON YOU!!!

wpgsteve
I Plan to Stick Around

lmoa, if you cant update a cell phone and you have a masters degree in computer science then you should get a new carreer lol it isnt that hard if you read the directions and look through these forums for 5 mintues.

Kotoc
I've Been Here Awhile

Clock work. No hitch at all. Running Windows 7. Downloaded the Kies 1.5 from Samsung.ca site not the .com noted here. the .ca site was directed by Samsung tech support.  I had called them first based on some install problems noted here.

Installed, followed all the prompts. Im now Froyo 2.2...................Sweet.

afrsss
I've Been Here Awhile

I have installed and uninstalled kies in 3 computers - 2 are win7, and one was xp - still doesnt work

and yes - 1.5.3 - keep getting errors!

I followed the instructions and it worked for one (after the thunderbird crash .dll workaround).  My wife's I bought at Future shop and it worked.  I pre-ordered mine and it the Kies software doesn't recognise the device.  The "Connecting the device.. please wait with the the blue alternating progress line stays on for hours and doesn't ever recognise it.  How can they be different and how can I fix this?

Thanks in advance.

(Assuming you have Kies installed on your Win7 computer)

This is what worked for me:

1) Make sure nothing other than windows is running on your computer.

2) Plug your Captivate into your USB port and select Kies on your phone when prompted.

3) Right click on your Kies icon on your desktop and select "Run as Admin"

4) Kies should load, as well as several error windows.  Disregard the errors and just leave them on the desktop.  This should not have any impact on Kies itself.

5) When Kies is loaded it should detect your phone in the upper right corner.

6) On the bottom of the Kies window it should give you the option to upgrade firmware to phone.

7) Select upgrade and follow instructions as prompted...

That should do it...  I hope!

cnruck
I've Been Here Awhile

Just spoke with Samsung and they told me to wait a week or two for an updated version of 2.2.  He said there have been problems with the current version so they are fixing it and to not download it yet.

theimmortal
I've Been Here Awhile

Looks like they took it down from their site so I guess it's probably better to wait.

T

NotHAPPY
I've Been Around

I have also undergone this attempt to get my Galaxy S to 2.2, I have only had it 2 months and found 4-5 apps I can't run until on 2.2 and major annoyed by other BUGS like GPS not working at all..

In any case, I am as my username gets NOT HAPPY..  As I am a IT professional and manage 300+ servers  I know what I am doing...  And this update still F$%^ed up on me..

I even suspected trouble and was being extra carefull..

1) Loaded my KIES application on my Win7x64 (in essentially newly installed state..)

2) KIES was 1.6something.. and figured i'd poke about in the menu and find "check update" which told me no update running current..

3) KIES finds applicable firmware updated, charge my battery fully to make it happy and set it a whirr..   Gets nearly through the procedure and then "Failed to Convert to Update Mode" error..  Now the device does not connect to USB and just shows "MTP Device" when connected..  I am already steaming as I know when $hit like this is not clockwork it usually is a HUGE WASTE OF MY TIME..

4) Now when I restart KIES it indicates the device Firmware update failed, and to attempt to retry..  But it can't detect the device so no go..

4) Why now do I find KIES 2.1.whatevertheF#$% on samsung site.. so ok I'll download that and hopefully some joy..  Downloaded Installed after indicating to unistall previous... PRAYING after install I connect device and....

5) "This Device will be supported soon" error..  Game over  Kies 2.1.whatevertheF#$^% won't talk to my phone at all...

ROGERS this user is attached to my account so feel free to call me tomorrow and tell me how to fix this...

nuttz
I've Been Here Awhile

I had no hassle at all updating.  The diconnecting and putting into download mode mid update is a pain but other than that it was fine.  I followed these instructions.  http://mobilesyrup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5486

After doing this update and putting on ADW Launcher it is like a brand new phone.  So fast. I was questioning my decision buying this phone after having it for a couple of months with 2.1, but now with Froyo its a whole new ball game.  I am so happy with it.

bahlsonal
I've Been Here Awhile

I agree, Kies is horrible. I was having the same problem (and went in circles) as you until I did the following steps and it worked immediately:

1. You must use a PC since Kies does not work on the Mac. Disconnect the phone from your PC.

2. Select the Keis menu on the top left, and select "Driver Recovery". It will take a few minutes to recover the drivers for your Captivate.

3. Next, connect the usb cable to the PC and select the Usb mode as "Mass Storage" on the Captivate.

4. Kies should now show the device correctly. Once it detects it, select "Firmware Upgrade" and follow the instructions.

Trust me, this took me a very long time to figure out, but once i did, the update went fine.

Let me know if this works for you.

bahlsonal
I've Been Here Awhile
You're right, Kies DOES NOT support Macs at all. I have a mac, but luckily also have a PC running Win7. Even then, i had a lot of trouble, but finally figured it out through "Driver Recovery' in the Kies menu.

Franklopez
I've Been Here Awhile

How does one get a Kies Version that supports Capitvate? Going to Samsung.com the only version is 2.0 and that says my device isn't supported. Samsung.ca directs you to samsungapps.com where you can only get 2.0 . .  Why doesnt rogers have the software that works on their site in one place to make this a fairly simple opperation.

Thanks for your time.

pwickens
I Plan to Stick Around

Franklopez: Here is a link from samsung's site: it is the latest version of 1.5.

http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/mobile/mobile-phones/all-phones/SGH-I896ZKARWC/index.idx?pagetype...

Hope that helps!