cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not getting anywhere near suggested speed

JizzyTeaCups
I'm Here A Lot

Hi, I live in Ontario and the internet plan my household has is the Express one. We are supposed to be getting 25Mbps down and 2Mbps up, but even if I check in the middle of the night or midday, the most we ever get is around 1.5Mbps down and 0.1Mbps up. We've been a customer for a while and I'm hoping there is something we can do to fix this issue. The router we use is the SMC-D3GN one directly from Rogers. I understand Rogers says the speeds are "up-to" 25Mbps down and 2Mbps up but seriously the speeds we are getting are not even remotely near to those suggested and there must be a problem. I use speedtest.net and steam to check the speeds I am getting and they both max out at 1.5 down and 0.1 up. If theres any more info I could give to help fix this problem I will gladly oblige, just want this issue over with. Thanks.

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Not getting anywhere near suggested speed

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Couple of questions to ask first.

HOW are you connected, when you are doing these tests?   Wired or Wireless?

If you have not tried wired, connect wired and do the same tests and see what your speeds are.

IF you are on wireless... it is MOST LIKELY that is what is your problem is 😞
The wireless on these devices, is natoriously POOR.  Both is signal strength, distance, as well as stability.

MANY users, will change their gateway over into BRIDGED mode, efectively turning it into a modem, using a 3rd party wireless router, and are able to get at or above posted speeds.
I currently have an similar to above setup (gateway is still acting as a ROUTER, but using my own wireless router, as an access point only), and am able to get posted speeds or pretty close all the time.  Always posted or higher, on wired.

Beyond that.. as TeDD13 said, could be a signal issue causing the modem not being able to pull enough.  A tech out would be advised.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

TeDD13
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Have you called in the tech to check both your hardware and cables on the street?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Couple of questions to ask first.

HOW are you connected, when you are doing these tests?   Wired or Wireless?

If you have not tried wired, connect wired and do the same tests and see what your speeds are.

IF you are on wireless... it is MOST LIKELY that is what is your problem is 😞
The wireless on these devices, is natoriously POOR.  Both is signal strength, distance, as well as stability.

MANY users, will change their gateway over into BRIDGED mode, efectively turning it into a modem, using a 3rd party wireless router, and are able to get at or above posted speeds.
I currently have an similar to above setup (gateway is still acting as a ROUTER, but using my own wireless router, as an access point only), and am able to get posted speeds or pretty close all the time.  Always posted or higher, on wired.

Beyond that.. as TeDD13 said, could be a signal issue causing the modem not being able to pull enough.  A tech out would be advised.

I will definetly call Rogers and ask for a tech to come out. I just ran a speed test on a desktop computer that is connected via a wired connection to my router and in the 3 tests I did the average was 10.5Mbps DOWN and 0.5Mbps UP. Before I was running speedtests on my phone and laptops. Can I just buy any old router to fix the Wireless issues, or does the router I get have to have certain things in it?

TeDD13
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Just to eliminate the possible router problem could you please try to connect your desktop computer directly to the Rogers Gateway and run a speedtest again?

i THINK he meant, when into his router.. he meant into the gateway?

That he DOESNT have a 3rd party router now, but will try one....

Yes, just about any router SHOULD work.  But you get what you pay for often.  A better router, may have dual band, which will allow for better/different signal frequency ranges, if your devices support them, which could help with potential interfearance.  Some have largers ranges than others, based on their antennas, etc.

gisuck
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I would still hook up a dedicated ethernet connection to the Rogers modem to verify there isn't any issues. Wireless can be fickle if the wireless spectrum is getting stomped on by other devices/noises.

Granted Rogers modem isn't the best device for wireless networking, but it rules out that he doesn't need Rogers support to verify signals/speeds to his connection.

Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 in conversation