cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not getting advertised speed but SNR is good

Earache
I Plan to Stick Around

I just got Ultimate but I'm not getting anywhere near the advertised speed. I'm getting between 22-3Mbps on wifi. If I plug in directly to the modem (Cisco in bridge mode), and reboot it I get 90Mbps. Once I plug in my Magicjack to my router I see the speed drop. I checked the SnR on the modem and everything is perfect (40db, +4db for every channel).

I don't understand why it drops off so far. Rogers guy split the cable from the street using the existing splitter there (home is a resale). I don't know what to do.

Any advice? I need the higher upload (I got the older ultimate plan just before it switched to the new one), for work as I work for a software company and every few days I have to upload entire programs (between 250mb-8gb).

***edited labels***

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Not getting advertised speed but SNR is good

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The upload on your plan, SHOULD be changed automatcialy.. EVERYONE is getting those upgrades for free, by Dec 1st.

My express just got changed over the other day.

What are you using to speed test? And to where?  SOmetimes this can make a difference on your results.
With the wifi results.. are you using the built in wifi on the gateway? Or your own router.  In the end (either way) the results USUALY will be always slightly lower using wifi, but shouldnt be THAT big of a difference.  Thats why im asking if you are using the built in wifi or not.

Earache
I Plan to Stick Around
3rd party Cisco E4200. My upload is sub 2Mbps and I'm not to concerned with it. My concern is I should be getting between 60-90Mbps but I'm not getting anything close to it.

Earache
I Plan to Stick Around
Err I meant that my concern is the overall speed. Using speedtest.net to Toronto based servers.

With the pluging in directly.. you said you were getting 90... so you ARE getting the correct speed.

Its something with the router, or the magic jack, which is causing the slowdown.  Thats a fairly new router, so it SHOULDNT be the issue, i would think.  I am only on express (so 28mbps).. i can pull 28-30 when wired connection, but only get about 26 on wireless.. but thats only a slight loss.

If your close to the GTA, that would be the correct one to user.

Earache
I Plan to Stick Around
I only get 90 for about 5-10 minutes then it drops off and stays there

is this when downloading something?

Never seen a speed test go 5-10 minutes.

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation