Not allowed by SIM message

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Not allowed by SIM message

I got a Samsung S3 and after couple of days of using it, when I was trying to make a call, I got 'Not allowed by SIM' message and wasn't able to complete the call. I figured out that by restarting the device, everything was back to normal - could make phone calls. After another couple of days, it happened again. In my first 14 days with the device it happened at least 5 times. I went back to FutureShop, they got in touch with Rogers, Rogers said that my SIM card was not fully transferred from old to new phone, Rogers did some magic on their end and said everything should be fine. Becauase FutureShop didn't want to extend my 14 days, I returned the phone. When I wanted to get another one from Rogers, I found out that my returned phone was still on my account. After a couple of days of fight with FutureShop and Rogers, Rogers refused to cancel my new 3 year contract and I was FORCED to get another Samsung S3 from FutureShop. After 3 days with the new device, I got the same problem - could not make phone calls and 'not allowed by SIM' message. I called Rogers tech support and they said there is nothing related with SIM transfer - it's a hardware issue - SIM or phone! FutureShop replaced the SIM and now I'm waiting to see what happens.

So everybody, BE AWARE of the new restrictions FutureShop and Rogers are putting on new phones: 14 days or 15 minutes or 25 texts. If you go beyond any of these, you're in trouble - FutureShop / Rogers will put you through a NIGHTMARE!!! Basically, when you buy a phone it's a FINAL SALE and you get stuck with a contract!!!

If anybody has a solution to the 'not allowed by SIM', please let everybody know!!!

******* Edit labels ********

Solved! Go to Solution.
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Not allowed by SIM message

same issue here, they rogers said they did someting on their end that should fix it, it worked flawless for a week and today again not allowed by sim... after restart it's fine again,  is up with rogers

I Plan to Stick Around

I've Been Here Awhile

I'm having exactly the same issue. I will be keeping an eye on this thread. Please keep us updated.
I've Been Here Awhile

Thank ytty for the link! That shows we're not alone!

As for FactoryReset, my advice is don't do it because it doesn't help! I did it on my first Samsung S3 and didn't solve the issue. The restart and probably the Airplane mode (as mentioned in the howardforums thread) can restore the outbound calling but they don't fix the problem. It will come up again!!!

I've Been Around

i have the same issue it will happen at least every second day.  i tryed calling rogers and the guy said he would re push my sim card or sothing but 2 days later happened again im gonna try calling rogers again. if anyone finds out  anyhting out let us know.

I Plan to Stick Around

Same trouble for me too with my GS3. I bought my phone on the launch date. Few days after, I was bored to have to restart my phone because I was  having problem with  and was unable to make phone calls due to that problem ''Not allowed by SIM '' So I returned to Rogers and they changed my SIM for the LTE generation again........few days after....again...the same trouble. They resend my SIM but still the same problem. Now they have contacted Rogers Head office and the rep from Samsung. I waiting to see waht's going on. At the rogers local store they think It might be just an update that will solve the problem......anyway I'm waiting for Samsung news in the next few days...

I've Been Around

Hey everyone,  I hope this helps you with the issues concerning not allowed by sim.

I have had the exact same issues with my device.  Rogers did all of the things mentioned above to try and fix with no luck.

After speaking with somebody in the Rogers CORPORATE technical support group (they are on the ball !), I have an answer.

The first batch of phones are defective and Samsung is aware of the issue concerning LTE. I was told that when your device looses LTE (4G signal) or device dropping signal, it is unable to reconnect to network.

They are not aware of this issue on the RESIDENTIAL technical support side yet.

I will be receiving my new device (3rd one) in a couple of days. They are testing it before sending out.

But a temporary fix until the new device arrives is, switch off the LTE network under setting, more settings, mobile network, network mode and select gsm. 

Please let me know if this fixes your issue...It did fix mine.

I Plan to Stick Around

i really doubt first batch is defective... it's something to do with rogers network or rogers lock software... if phones were defective they would do same thing everywhere, in states, in europe, etc

I Plan to Stick Around

I have talked with several Rogers techs and there is no answer. Last night they said that It is a Samsung thing and they have a bulletin from them and hopefully a fix is on the way. This morning I spoke with a Samsung tech on their chat line and also a tech on the phone and neither have any idea as to what I am talking about. I was told that the info will be relayed to Korea. But, nobody can help fix this problem and I am almost at the point where I think that Rogers and Samsung are both telling stories. All we can do is wait and hope one of them will come through. BTW, last night I set my phone to HSPA only. Working great last night and this morning. Might be pissed off at it by noon. LOL!!!!!