Not allowed by SIM message

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Not allowed by SIM message

I had a similar issue with my Samsung Note when i first got it. I got the phone within 3 weeks of release.. It wasn't a not allowed by sim error i got, i got some strange error about the phone not being able to recognize my sim. A simple reboot sorted it out, and it happened for about a week before it sorted itself out. I called tech support and they did something on their end and it was all better. It happened with a handful of rogers phones but the buzz on the issue died down in a short time.
I've Been Around

I had the same issue, brand new phone purchased from a Rogers Store in Downtown Vancouver and within 3 days a call wouldn't go through and when I look at what the phone was dialling I saw this message "Not Allowed by SIM".  This pop-up msg doesn't stay very long though. 

At any rate took it back to the store, they couldn't duplicate the problem so I was left to call customer service who told me that they had not heard of this problem and gave me a case ID#. I was then meant to take this case ID back to the store of purchase to get a new phone since it was within 7 days of purchase.  And what do you know the store does not accept Rogers Case ID# because they are an independent company and not hooked up to the Rogers system (but how they can draw up contracts etc, I do not know). 

This has now happened 4 or 5 times and I have done 2 factory resets and it works but within a couple of days the problem comes up again.  On my 3rd visit to the store a friendly sales associate gave me a new SIM card hoping that the problem woudl be resolved, but after 3 days voila the same problem. 

Today I went back to the store determined to get a resolution as I haven't heard back from Rogers after I explained my predicament in an email.  The same friendly sales associate changed my settings from AUTO to 4G only with the hope that perhaps this might stop the system from searching for an LTE signal.  I am hoping this would solve the problem.  Hope this helps...

I've Been Here Awhile

From what I've heard from Rogers Corporate support this isn't an issue with the S3, the SIM or your account etc.  It has to do with the LTE network, bouncing from tower to tower and from LTE to HSPA, 3G etc.  If you're always on LTE you'll never see this happen supposedly.  If you go from LTE to 3G or HSPA the connection gets confused.  This doesn't appear to affect data at all just phone calls.  A reboot resets the connection and then you're good.  This is happening all over on the Rogers network and apparently they're working on fixing it.  I'm in Ottawa but I know people in other provinces having the same issue. 

I've Been Here Awhile

this Happens here in Montreal about once every week or so on my Samsung S3 !!

i hope they fix this because it sucks

I've Been Here Awhile

Hey, Alberta here. (south of edmonton.)  

I dont have LTE here, but today was the first time this has happend. I have had my S3 for less then 24Hrs. Im happy to see im not the only one, but i was on the fence to renew my contract with rogers due to there signal/service in the first place. Having this happen is not making me a happy camper, and if something isnt done asap, il be returning my phone within the first 15days, and demanding that they cancle my contract. 

I've Been Here Awhile

Ive seen Rogers Reps comment on other threads about other problems, i would like a rogers rep to comment on an update of this problem, and what is being done to fix it!
Highlighted
I've Been Around

samsung galaxy 3s

I just bought the samsung galaxy 3s. I am on contract 3 yr plan. When I try to make a call it tells me not allowed by sim???? What does this mean, and how do I correct it. Thanks

I've Been Around

Re: samsung galaxy 3s

sigh this is still happening! Is there any news of a fix?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: samsung galaxy 3s

I am not having any issue with my S3 like this :/. It seems like only a few phones are having this issue, not all of them.

Take back the phone from where you got it from & change it for another S3. Also try getting a new sim card & activation that one. If that does not work then idk
I've Been Around

Ok so I think I also found a quick fix that may or may not work for everyone! If you switch "to" airplane mode, and try to make the call it states you cannot make the call when you try, and then asks you to switch airplane mode "off" which I did and well, tried making the call again and it worked just fine! as for the Network Connection, I totally see the logic, it usually happens when my phone tries to reconnect to the network after being out of service.... (which on a side note, I have had to call rogers for this because, as they told me when I called, the phone likes to unregister itself from the sim as well causing it to read as a phone w/out a line connected to it)... I hope this helps