Nokia N8 question... installing an update

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Nokia N8 question... installing an update

Hi

Recently I've purchased Nokia N8 from Rogers.
I'll start by saying that I'm new to all of this wireless stuff Smiley Happy

I would like to know how do I install official updates to my phone? Do I do it on the phone itself or somehow from the Rogers website? Can I install the updates from www.nokia.ca ?

one more question:
how do I make sure that all of my contacts will not get deleted once I download the update?
Is there a way to transfer all of my contacts some place else (SIM Card, maybe?... ) to be on the safe side?

Appreciate your help

******* Edit labels ********

Solved! Go to Solution.
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Nokia N8 question... installing an update

go to the nokia website and download 'nokia suite'.

from there you can sync up contacts, calendar, messages etc.. with outlook, notes etc... and also do backups. also update your maps and any updates pushed out by nokia/rogers.

contacts are not deleted for regular updates. there is also the thing called 'ovi sync' that you can do either your phone directly. It backs up your contacts/calendar onto the 'cloud' somewhere in south finland, valhala, the dwelling of norsk gods .. who knows where. Contacts backup okay .. calendar entries when it feels like it.... i say: i) sync with outlook/notes and ii) direct backup via nokia suite

I'm Here A Lot

thanks for the info!

I'm Here A Lot

I've just installed the Nokia Ovi Suite on my computer , and I can see that there is an update available for my phone.

The update info is: version 025.007

These are only numbers, so my question is how do I know if this "Anna" or "Belle" update?

Currently, I have the " 011.012" version installed...

Would you recommend installing this update? Is it the newest update available?

thanks

I Plan to Stick Around

25.007 is anna release v2. (think of it as anna with a service pack or two).

(Anna original release is 22.14).

belle is 111.xxx.

I personally think anna looks better than belle (except for the portrait qwerty) but it's all down to your preference. Unless you have a non-rogers variant (i.e you didn't buy it in a rogers store) you can't get belle (yet - or if ever). The instructions on flashing to belle is on this forum (take a look at the thread if you're interested).

definitely upgrade to anna. fixes a lot of bugs, better battery life and nicer interface.

cheers.

I Plan to Stick Around

i am simplfying it a bit/alot by calling it anna v1; anna v2 etc.. whatever the nomenclature is... you won't notice much difference between the 22.14 release of anna and 25.007 ... a wiser person than me could highlight the differences. Anyways... after you upgrade.. you'll likely have to download an update via nokia suite too.

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks a lot for the info!

It helped me a lot.  I'll download this Anna update as you've recommended

This is a phone I purchased from Rogers, but anyway  I think I'll stick with Anna.. I saw that many on this forum agree with you that Anna is better than Belle.

Just to clarify- you said that after I upgrade to Anna, there will be another update available to me through Nokia Suite.
Should I download this update as well?

Once again, thanks a lot!

Appreciate your help

I Plan to Stick Around

yeah.. download whatever updates come across on nokia suites.